Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:46:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693840
  • Total Topics: 118559
  • Online Today: 835
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1729632 times)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6195 on: March 23, 2017, 09:25:59 AM »
Kind of a Gorechosen type of thing by the looks of it.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/23/shadespire-unveiled/

People will be pissy because Stormcast. There is a female liberator though so that'll either placate some people or anger others I'm sure.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6196 on: March 23, 2017, 09:50:48 AM »
I like the Chaos models, and I am pleased to see a lady Liberator that's more than just a headswap.

Of course, there are those that will undoubtedly complain that the model got made to look more feminine, I'm sure.  ::)

Anyway, I hope to see the bits parcelled out on Ebay soon - the Chaos chaps are calling to me.

Offline Shub-Nullgurath

• Bookworm
« Reply #6197 on: March 23, 2017, 10:03:13 AM »
People will be pissy because Stormcast. There is a female liberator though so that'll either placate some people or anger others I'm sure.

Female liberator conversion to Sister of Battle in power armour? I say yes.

I like the Chaos models, and I am pleased to see a lady Liberator that's more than just a headswap.

Of course, there are those that will undoubtedly complain that the model got made to look more feminine, I'm sure.  ::)

I really don't understand that logic. "You should be able to tell the gender of miniatures whilst they also have realistic proportions and nothing to indicate their gender." It stinks of people who've only ever seen miniatures in individual hugely blown up photos.

Even with the Sisters of Battle breastplate, you can't even tell they're female when they're on the tabletop.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6198 on: March 23, 2017, 10:09:27 AM »
Yeah, not wanting to turn this into a boob-plate/battle-heels debate, but I was more referring to the fact that people are different sizes/proportions (regardless of armour bulk), and that I prefer seeing that variation better represented in units. For one thing it provides more interest/variety when painting them.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6199 on: March 24, 2017, 11:37:51 AM »
A female Stormcast:

Well executed IMO.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #6200 on: March 24, 2017, 12:53:26 PM »
I have nothing kind to say...

Edited my edit a bit as I'd lowered the chest armour a bit too much.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:15:21 PM by Andrew Rae »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6201 on: March 24, 2017, 01:35:29 PM »
Looks like a warrior to me.

I'd buy them.

EDIT: In fact what I would like is a box with say 5 female warriors and all the kit to bash them into whatever unit I want... Liberators, Prosecutors and Retributors.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:53:09 PM by Ray Rivers »

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #6202 on: March 24, 2017, 01:50:21 PM »
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #6203 on: March 24, 2017, 01:54:47 PM »
Looks like a warrior to me.

That's not my dispute. I'm questioning the solid metal midriff armour with no articulation and the very high breasts. I think some of the second issue is due to the photo angle, and I've lowered the chest armour too much*, but the recent Sisters of Silence suffer from similar issues. The armour design with the super low belt also makes for a very awkward, oddly proportioned figure.

* Now changed, see above.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:15:58 PM by Andrew Rae »

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6204 on: March 24, 2017, 02:07:16 PM »
Awful.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6205 on: March 24, 2017, 02:29:26 PM »
I'm questioning the solid metal midriff armour with no articulation and the very high breasts.

That comes down to personal tastes.

The miniature seems fine to me. Strong legs, strong arms, nicely sculpted helmet. Cool.

To be quite honest it is miles ahead of the 30K Sisters who must be stick people to fit into their armor.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6206 on: March 24, 2017, 02:46:36 PM »
If I look back on all my masses of old 80's and 90's models they're all utter shite if true proportions and scale are applied to them (cue the that was then this is now argument). I really don't care if things are slightly off and not exactly how someone else would have made it. We can be quick to criticise some manufacturers whilst giving others a complete pass because we're fickle.

I thought the female SC might have been a bit more of a thing, a little more stand out, but as it is it's a pretty basic rank and filer. I really like the bareheaded chap in the same set. At first glance I thought that model was the female one because it looked the more interesting of the three. No dog in that fight though, I just like SC.  :)

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #6207 on: March 24, 2017, 03:01:16 PM »
That comes down to personal tastes.

Well... not really. I don't think personal taste comes into whether or not she could move.

@stone-cold-lead: My criticism has nothing to do with 'true proportions' or scale, beyond breast height. If you're going to do boob armour, get it in the right place!

I do like Stormcast, but that they've chosen to give her low-rise armour instead of a feminised version of the male armour (whose belts sit much higher on the waist) means that the armour is totally immobile (cue 'terminators never worked' argument).

Offline Shub-Nullgurath

• Bookworm
« Reply #6208 on: March 24, 2017, 03:26:35 PM »
A female Stormcast:

<snip>

Well executed IMO.

They're going for the much coveted "heavily-muscled-women fetish" market.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6209 on: March 24, 2017, 03:28:59 PM »
I do like Stormcast, but that they've chosen to give her low-rise armour instead of a feminised version of the male armour (whose belts sit much higher on the waist) means that the armour is totally immobile (cue 'terminators never worked' argument).

Actually, if you have put together any of these, you find that in the male SC the upper torso fits so tightly to the lower torso that it is impossible to give it any twist in pose.

The female, OTOH, appears to have more space between the upper and lower torso, thus it would be quite easy to give it an ever so slightly different pose than just strictly erect.

If they were produced on a sprue in pieces, you could also cut down the amount of lower torso shown and thus, essentially, give the miniature the same look that you did in your "shopped" image.