Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 05:27:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694269
  • Total Topics: 118595
  • Online Today: 665
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Carronade - Falkirk - Saturday 10th May 2014  (Read 7124 times)

Offline bill5549

• Bookworm
    • Blenheim to Berlin
Re: Carronade - Falkirk - Saturday 10th May 2014
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 11:14:39 AM »
Some photos from an enjoyable show...

Old Contemptibles Gleaming Katanas game - best in show.  Dave Imrie moving his troops.

SESWC Normandy 19944 Bolt Action display - Our game - 2nd best in show

French resistance wait to support the invasion

RAF LEUCHARS Dambusters PP game - plucky aircrew in distance

More on my blog plus link to all my photos at
http://blenheimtoberlin.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/carronade-2014-falkirk-10-may-2014.html

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 06:26:34 PM »
Unfortunately I was so focussed on the traders that I was only able to pop in to have a look at a few games, so thanks for posting these. Notably the Red Dawn style British board was cool (I've never seen so many Russian vehicles in one place, those must've set their owner back a bit).

I will say that it was a pity that G3 (my own club) weren't able to get the number of tables that they wanted. I wasn't able to see which show game made the cut, but hopefully it wasn't the World of Tanks one.

Offline Captain Black

• Librarian
    • www.falkirkwargamesclub.orgouk
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 04:46:30 PM »
Thanks to all who attended the show on Saturday. We will hopeful see you all again next May :D

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Sounds like i am a bad influence :-)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 10:14:21 PM »
I didn't take many photos
But there was a stunning samurai board

Some stunning command stands

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 10:42:38 PM »
Those are my buildings  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 11:02:20 PM »
Did you paint them as well?

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2014, 06:35:32 AM »
The building, yes  :)

cheers

James

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2014, 07:44:23 AM »
Your wee buildings were a great part of that board mate! There was a bundle of other cool mini dioramas going on there too.....

This was the Dam busters game that was going on. Although not great modelling wise, it looked a lot of fun. I think the wee boy in the Biggleswade mask looks hilarious!...

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2014, 11:19:20 AM »
Great photos

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2014, 06:41:37 PM »
@ Dave Knight

You mentioned that the flea market could have done with more space. I had a friend there who was selling items who made similiar comments. His two cents were the the central area was wasted space and could have had tables located within it, and second, that the competition tables took up a lot more tables than they needed to. That's just his opinion of course, but others at my club expressed the same thoughts, though we may not know the reasoning about those two cases.

Ah also I had a friend who had tried to book a table there well in advance of the show, but only found out just before it that the email address for that had changed this year, so he wasn't able to make his typical slot. That was down to him, though just something which I may as well mention.

Thanks for posting those photos guys. Youknow its only really when people post images online that I actually manage to see what was actually going on with all those games that were running (however I did well acquaint myself with the folks at Ainsty Castings instead...).

Ah, and that's what the game running by the entrance was. I didn't look in on it this year, but I suspected it would've been interesting as always. Uh, and not to be a spoil sport, but there was concerns over the content of games from previous years (the one involving kamikaze pilots), so its nice to see one that may not cause as much potential offence being run (my own club's gone through a spat of embargoing certain symbols and flags that aren't politically correct this past year).

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »
This is the first year that the flea market has been full all day so now is indeed a good time to think about how we can expand it and use some of that space.

The problem with the email account was a bit of a nightmare.  Myself and my wife took on the task of running the fleamarket at short notice and I had several people who thought that they had tables but were not on the list.  I managed to squeeze another 3 tables in and keep everybody just about happy, although one or two people did lose out.

As far as the painting competition goes I would not want to reduce their space - I am sure we can find a layout for next year that allows more tables.  We were a bit of a pioneer when we started this type of bring and buy back in 2007 but it has really caught on.

As far as the Leuchars boys go we just let them get on with it.  I have never heard of any one being uncomfortable at the content of any of the games at Carronade before so the comment on last year's kamikaze game is interesting.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2014, 07:32:58 PM »
I hope you don't mind a slight aside on this chaps but a couple of years ago at Salute there was a kamikaze game (don't know who ran it) and the participants could keep the hachimaki (headband) afterwards. Such a player came by our stall later and the only comment my wife made (who is Japanese) was "They spelt it wrong".

Now, to be fair, she doesn't really care about history but I would've thought if that sort of thing doesn't cause offence with a Japanese person then it should be fine  ???

Just a bit of a ramble, don't know if it will really help or not  :)

cheers

James

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2014, 09:34:04 PM »
Regarding that kamikaze game, the comments about it came up during discussion about my own club's policies over certain topics which may cause offence or bring the club to blows with the local council. The whole thing was over a group of guys who were playing an American Civil War game that happened to hang a Confederate flag above their table. That particular kamikaze game was brought up when discussing the matter of banning the certain symbols within the club's venue when the point was made that essentially if someone could be offended, then people shouldn't be doing it in the first place. ...Which led to all flags not on models being banned. So it was noted that the kamikaze game was in bad taste, at least within my club's own facebook page. However the stance put out by our leaders was that it wasn't their business to do anything about it, they only regulated their own matters.

Now personally I'm not one to start pulling out the nanny state card, but this year at Carronade, in light of what's happened at my club, some members noted seeing a Confederate flag draped across one table. Evidently we can play games involving horrible real life scenarios, but bringing along real world paraphernalia that's been adopted by, or was used by contemporary "naughty people" may be seen by some as in bad taste. Its not a matter which I think the organisers of Carronade have come across, its just something which those at G3 have perhaps developed an eye for.

Ah, but to my original point. The kamikaze game. Whilst many wargames involve people killing each other, one where a particular side is committing suicide isn't quite in the same ballpark. I mean a similar one could be terrorists blowing up strategic locations across a military base (or a civilian area). Additionally, whilst the Rising Sun may not be a big thing here in the West like the swastika is, in the East I've been told that its the reverse (nazis appear a lot in anime...). But, displaying it is down to the organisers, and like my club, if you start banning symbols used by such and such a group once upon a time, then could wind up saying no to everything inside and outside of the board games (ie the point was made at my G3 that those who support an independent Scotland might not appreciate Union Flags), which could be bad for publicity.

Eugh... But that's all just a business of red tape. Unless people start sending you emails over the matter it may not be something to pick up on. Discussion of the topic's been put an end to at my club, but I thought I'd allude to why I mentioned that as you wanted clarification. Its a messy subject, and not something which I particularly think should be muddying up a nice discussion page. =P