Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 08:18:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694275
  • Total Topics: 118596
  • Online Today: 665
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Brent's Entry-- Gen11 Motor Car  (Read 13236 times)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
Re: Brent's Entry-- Gen11 Motor Car
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2009, 03:02:09 PM »
Awesome, Brent! That's craftsmanship ...

Casting up those parts in brass - isn't that quite expensive?

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2009, 04:36:08 PM »
Thanks guys...

Brass..

Yes and no.   The only issue I have is that the process obliterates the plastic master.  But you end up with a nice set of brass masters to make the initial spin molds.  The brass master can be used on your model, or put into storage.  Since I'll probably offer this as a kit later on, I'm picking out which parts need to be metal, so the brass pieces are actually quite necessary.

It averages about $50 per part to be converted to brass. Oddly enough, that's about the same cost it is to rapid prototype something on one of the computerized resin systems.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2009, 01:36:25 PM »

It averages about $50 per part to be converted to brass. Oddly enough, that's about the same cost it is to rapid prototype something on one of the computerized resin systems.
Didn't know that they used rapid prototyping in the wargaming industry. I done some of it at Uni a few years ago and I thought the potential was great for wargames scenery or vehicles. Very expensive I thought at the time.
Does your company use it?
All we got to do on it was print out a 3D baby cup. Not much use for anything :'(

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2009, 09:07:12 AM »
We have access to a few sources that use the rapid prototype process.  We extensively used it on the wheels and metal detail parts on our Sumida Japanese Armored car.  The G3A and M29 Weasel are next to get the treatment.  Right now though, we only use it for small parts.  Wheels, track links, tires.  The parts we usually want cast in metal anyway, and require a number of masters to create.  The process to go from plastic to metal is about the same price..so we use it where it saves time.

I'll need to create the spoked wheels for chitty the old fashioned way.  But I might get a computer aided master for some "wire" wheels down the road for a variant. Or I may need to get Chitty's rims redone for production.  It all depends on how my plastic ones turn out, and how well they cast up.

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
Brent's Entry-- Gen11 Motor Car final touches...
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2009, 09:14:06 PM »
Update before final assembly...

I added details to the undercarriage. 

Mainly the fuel tank, and storage rack. Shored up and sanded the undercarriage, and added the suspension springs and a few other details.

All the main parts before assembly.  Either by good planning (or plain luck) each main component that required a unique painting style is a separate piece!  I attribute to extreme luck.

Wheels are off a Disney Atlantis toy, as the mold of my custom rims and tires is still curing.  I'll finish up and cast the new wheels, tires, and build horn, wings and stabilizers and post pics after the contest

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2009, 12:51:05 AM »
I now know why I voted for this entry!  :-* :-* :-*
I'm glad I got to see how much work went into making this fantastic looking model.
Excellent work.  I am in awe.
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet