Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 04:30:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Left-handed human adventurers  (Read 3941 times)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
Re: Left-handed human adventurers
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »
Thanks, now I know how to recognize a left-handed British soldier...  :D
Just look for the burn marks on their faces...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 03:07:48 PM »
No you just DONT want the empty(hot) case hitting you in the face    :D

Aye being left handed it hurts, the SLR not so much but the bullet whipped past your eyes, the SA80 though hit you in the face. It was a nightmare for me being left handed having to fire down the range, totally un-natural ;D

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 07:25:11 PM »
Aye being left handed it hurts, the SLR not so much but the bullet whipped past your eyes, the SA80 though hit you in the face. It was a nightmare for me being left handed having to fire down the range, totally un-natural ;D

I tried shooting the M-16 with the official deflector only to get the rounds down my back (deflected rounds went up then down, duh, typical bureaucrat idea of a "solution.") Ouch!  Fortunately I (and my brother) both are ambidextrous.  We took turns using left and right handed rifles and bows as youngsters.  I still prefer shooting a rifle left handed and a bow right handed but can do the opposite.  

Back OT, yes left handed figures are rare.  I don't think I have any in my small pre-gunpowder collection.

Yes, some pictures would be great!

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:27:21 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 07:51:10 PM »
Funny you should mention pirates.
There's Wargames Foundry
Kheir-ed-din is definitely left-handed.
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 07:53:07 PM »
As is Thomas Anstis:-

(although, to be fair, only because his right hand appears to be a hook)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:43:32 PM by Elprez »

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 07:59:35 PM »
Otherworld Miniatures has this Half-Orc Fighter/Cleric:-

and, possibly this assassin (though it's hard to be 100% sure from the angle of the picture)

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 08:13:26 PM »
Hasslefree has Artemis (although she is a bit naked):-

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 08:36:34 PM »
Heresy Miniatures has these two:-

Offline Legion

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 12:37:53 AM »
Thank you very much gents.

That's one woman (Artemis) I didn't know about. As you say, she is a bit naked; beautiful to be sure, but quite nude.
The Heresy Viking I have, ditto the Otherworld Assassin (and yeah, he's not a solid leftie to me).
I guess that half-orc (which I also have) *could* just be a really ugly guy (replace the fang with a cigar maybe?).

And I've been eyeing Kheir-ed-din for a while. I want to add him to my Arabian Knights as he doesn't look to be carrying a pistol (though I could hack it off either way I suppose.)

And elves in stainless steel crop-tops are on my list of "Whatev." Nice sculpt, but nah.

Very helpful. Thanks again.

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 12:54:14 AM »
You've raised a valid point Legion, and I'll be keeping an eye out for left-handed miniatures from now on.
As my (left-handed) father used to say, "it's a sign of intelligence",  ;)

Offline Hatemonger

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2014, 05:19:04 PM »
Brother Vinni has this Paladin-type lady. She's even wearing clothes!  :o

I think your best bet is simply to convert some figures. Find models with separate shields, and weapons that aren't held against the body. The hands should be easy enough to clip off and replace with parts from suitable donors.

Cutting a weapon off a right hand should leave a fist suitable for taking a separate shield.

Games Workshop makes plenty of dual-wielders, which would net you weapon hands of every size from elves and humans, up through orcs, ogres, and minotaurs. Also, one of the Griping Beast dark age plastic sets has a few left-handed weapon arms (probably the Vikings, but I don't remember).

- H8

Offline Legion

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 06:11:15 PM »
Thanks 'Monger.

She's great! Noted.

And I do get what you mean about modding. But in a perfect world I'm looking for more figs like the one you linked.

I don't want left handers standing like right handers. I want left handers standing like left handers. I shoot both left and right handed; the stances are -- one from the other -- horizontally flipped, if I may use a digital image term.

Some of the figs I've come across have the look of genuine southpaws. But many just look like a dexter holding a sword in his left hand.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 07:35:32 PM »
<snip>
Some of the figs I've come across have the look of genuine southpaws. But many just look like a dexter holding a sword in his left hand.

Too true, that.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Hatemonger

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 08:49:11 PM »
I don't want left handers standing like right handers. I want left handers standing like left handers. I shoot both left and right handed; the stances are -- one from the other -- horizontally flipped, if I may use a digital image term.
That's an excellent point that I admit I'd forgotten. Although, I wonder if you might see an increase in lefties as more shops begin to use digital sculpting - after all, they could feasibly just flip the render and print a mirror version.

On a more practical note... while you're certainly correct regarding some figures, surely there are poses that are more neutral. Not necessarily the best example, but take this plastic GB viking. If you clip off both hands, it doesn't make much difference which one holds the weapon or the shield. Same thing with a typical "advancing" pose: if it were a still photo of an Olympic runner, you'd be hard pressed to tell whether the person is right- or left- handed. You could put any piece of equipment in either hand, so long as the motion of the arms matched the legs.

Remember also that you can change feel of a pose - rather than the physical stance - just by repositioning the head. Say you have a person leaning back on his right foot, with left foot extended. You can make him appear to be guarding his left, or advancing to his right, merely by turning the head to face one side or the other, especially when you combine it with the arms being up or down, bent or extended, etc.

Granted, there are other visual cues that make a difference such as straps or scabbards, but not all models have them, and some are more easily removed (or added) than others.

I guess my point is, don't automatically discount a model you like just because it's holding a sword in the "wrong" hand, because a bits box and a little surgery can make a big difference in how a figure looks.

- H8

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 11:07:11 PM »
The GW Theoden miniature is strangely left handed,as I am  :D
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.