Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 09:28:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694172
  • Total Topics: 118585
  • Online Today: 631
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731746 times)

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #4785 on: April 13, 2016, 11:56:06 AM »
If anyone actually read the blurb they would know it is a limited edition marine which is a reimagining of the first marine figure (the one everyone is saying they have already) to celebrate 30 years of space marines.

It is actually a collectors piece hence the stupid price.

Huh, it's £18 which is pretty much the standard for single character models from GW now, so nothing to do with being a "collectors piece".  ???

same as...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/Space-Marine-Captain
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/Space-Marine-Librarian
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/Blood-Angels-Sanguinary-Priest-2014

etc... none of which are limited edition and some are even £20 or more if they have wings or something.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4786 on: April 13, 2016, 05:09:31 PM »
I smell a reworking of 'Blazing Saddles' with 40K races. It's a winner, I tells ya!

Well, we're definitely gonna need a shitload of dimes!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #4787 on: April 13, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol  That is priceless, well done Fram.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4788 on: April 13, 2016, 06:08:23 PM »

Remember to get rid of the chewing gum first.  ;)

The way things are going, though, a shitload (metric or imperial, BTW?) of dimes will probably not even buy you a Games Workshop starter army... lol

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4789 on: April 13, 2016, 09:09:49 PM »
EDIT: Just kidding, thanks GW Canada!  lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline rebelyell2006

• Librarian
« Reply #4790 on: April 13, 2016, 10:32:16 PM »
I smell a reworking of 'Blazing Saddles' with 40K races. It's a winner, I tells ya!

Poor old Gavriel Johnson, with his authentic rogue trader gibberish...

"The emperor is a gree*BONG*!"

"What did he say? The emperor is agreeable?"

"No godrum dagnabbit the emperor is a gree*BONG*!"

"The emperor is agreeable!"

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4791 on: April 13, 2016, 11:01:53 PM »
The new games workshop boxed game confuses me. It's meant to be played on a 6x8 table but regardless, how much maneuvering are you really gonna do with just two knights?
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #4792 on: April 13, 2016, 11:29:36 PM »
The new games workshop boxed game confuses me. It's meant to be played on a 6x8 table but regardless, how much maneuvering are you really gonna do with just two knights?

28mm really does not suit miniatures this big.

... Thinking on which, are there any Japanese style mecha games?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4793 on: April 13, 2016, 11:55:08 PM »
28mm really does not suit miniatures this big.

... Thinking on which, are there any Japanese style mecha games?

Indeed.I imagine when the box gets bought by bit sellers looking for cheap knight parts you'll be able to pick up the rules/cards online cheap and play the game with smaller minis.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #4794 on: April 14, 2016, 02:26:45 AM »

Maybe I'm adding 2+2 and getting 5, but since Mark Rountree's last report mentioned that they absolutely wouldn't cheapen their premium image (or somesuch) by dropping prices on their existing products, I've had a feeling that all their 40K-themed board games - new products - are stealth price-drops for minis intended for 40K. Who really bought all those 30K marines just for Battle of Calth, or all those genestealer hybrids just for Deathwatch: Overkill? Especially with concurrent WD and much-vaunted Forgeworld Horus Heresy rules to go with them. You just buy the minis in bigger box sets with two forces, rather than boxes of ten minis for £35-40.

Maybe it's a bit of a stretch for those two games, where the minis don't already exist in 40K, at least not for a long while; and I don't know if the scouts and stealers in... erm... the scouts 'n' stealers game... are new, or just repackaged. But I think there's a better case for the knight game. Buying two knights, a chunk of scenery, and whatever other gewgaws for £120 has got to sting a little less than buying the two listed knights (original and warden flavour) alone, separately, for £180.

Oh, and you'd do it for Leman Russ.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:34:38 AM by Vermis »

Offline Queeg

• Scientist
« Reply #4795 on: April 14, 2016, 03:40:45 AM »
I would think that the GW board of directors would be happy just to settle for being in a position to celebrate 3 years of the Age of Sigmar in the future, let alone celebrate 30 years of any of the fantasy range .... celebrating it's history after wiping it out would be rather on the nose even for them wouldn't it?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4796 on: April 14, 2016, 07:25:23 AM »
A knights game? Seriously? 2 knights and some terrain with some rules. Obviously this is just a discount deal for 2 knights. I'd be highly suprised if the rules were any good. And if the rules were any good I can imagine a lot of people just using the old knights from Epic and playing it on a board the size of the Heroquest board.

...Unless these new knights have real firing* weapons and targets on them for little kiddies to aim at with arm popping** action when you hit the target, pew pew.

*Spring loaded
** More spring loaded action

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #4797 on: April 14, 2016, 01:53:06 PM »
I would think that the GW board of directors would be happy just to settle for being in a position to celebrate 3 years of the Age of Sigmar in the future, let alone celebrate 30 years of any of the fantasy range .... celebrating it's history after wiping it out would be rather on the nose even for them wouldn't it?

Are they doing that? Any links?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4798 on: April 14, 2016, 02:26:29 PM »
A knights game? Seriously? 2 knights and some terrain with some rules. Obviously this is just a discount deal for 2 knights. I'd be highly suprised if the rules were any good. And if the rules were any good I can imagine a lot of people just using the old knights from Epic and playing it on a board the size of the Heroquest board.

...Unless these new knights have real firing* weapons and targets on them for little kiddies to aim at with arm popping** action when you hit the target, pew pew.

*Spring loaded
** More spring loaded action

I'd say look at it from the other side.  Instead of buying one Knight...you can get two for a "little bit" more money so you're probably likely to take a swing at it.  And let's be honest, sheets of plastic don't cost that much.  I think GW is doing some rather sly "get you to spend a bit more" strategies which will probably work.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #4799 on: April 14, 2016, 03:50:11 PM »

They'd have more space than they do on a typical 40K table.