Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:14:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694202
  • Total Topics: 118587
  • Online Today: 694
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731872 times)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #4860 on: April 23, 2016, 05:10:07 PM »
Went back and played 2nd edition a couple years ago.  Ruined most any nostalgia I had for that game.  It may not be quite as rules heavy as current versions, but it is CLUNKY!  The 2nd edition mechanics work great for Necromunda but for a squad-based game it's ridiculous. Rolling for the location of each individual jump pack marine? Come on...

I'm really looking forward to the new Warpath edition for some fast-playing rules that will let me field my 40k figs in a game that has a 40k'ish feel of gameplay without the layers upon layers of rules.

I'm not a huge fan of Mantic (some dodgy models, the never ending kickstarters) but their rules are generally solid. Kings of War 2nd ed is a much more streamlined and enjoyable mass battle game that WHFB ever was and I'm also looking forward to Warpath.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4861 on: April 23, 2016, 10:41:36 PM »
Same sentiment here. I  miss playing fantasy battles in which the troops are engineered to be different and have different play styles. I thought that 8th edition was about the cleanest in terms of rules written, it was just the "buy more figures" engineering that ruined it. Strip out the need for huge units and it could have been perfect, for me at any rate.

Theses days I play Dragon Rampant, it's a nice enough system and we have had some good games, but it is bland compared to good old WHFB. My dwarfs are elite foot, my opponents beastmen are elite foot, my other opponents chaos warriors are elite foot, ad nauseum. I miss the crunch of the good old days. Part of the appeal was the distinctness of the different races - both in how they looked and how they played. Abstracted and simplified rules do not have this. The troops certainly look different on the table top, but they act in exactly the same way. We gave up using DR for WHFB and use it for LotR instead, which works better.

Yep, I miss good old WHFB. I thought I would still be playing it in my old age, it lasted over 20 years and gave me countless hours of enjoyment. It's still a sad loss to me. I know, I know, I can still play it, but others seem less inclined these days.

Hmm, I agree. I really really like Dragon Rampant, but I can see it getting a tad bland, even with the special rules to spice units up a bit. Crunch requires more fore-thought and planning and effort, and all of that seems near impossible nowadays.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #4862 on: April 24, 2016, 04:54:21 PM »
I know we've all moved on from the space marine 30th anniversary malarkey but I've done a little video review of the Apocrypha book.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #4863 on: April 25, 2016, 09:10:24 AM »
Nice review, very detailed and you have a good speaking voice. I do think you should have ended the review mid sentence, that would have been so

Offline The Mystic Spiral

• Librarian
    • Mystic Spirals Miniatures
« Reply #4864 on: April 25, 2016, 10:59:32 AM »
I know we've all moved on from the space marine 30th anniversary malarkey but I've done a little video review of the Apocrypha book.

Thanks for that, first unboxing video I ever found useful. Didn't know the book even existed before it was sold out and it looked just like the sort of pointless art book I always want.

Probably decent if you don't already have most of the information. I have the originals(very dog eared). No need to get mugged on ebay for it now.

J
It wasn't me. Honest. This big monkey did it and ran off.
MysticSpiralsMonkeyBusinessBlog

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #4865 on: April 25, 2016, 11:32:15 AM »
I do think you should have ended the review mid sentence, that would have been so

I genuinely laughed out loud to that! I should have thought of doing it.  lol

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #4866 on: April 25, 2016, 11:55:49 AM »
Nice review, very detailed and you have a good speaking voice. I do think you should have ended the review mid sentence, that would have been so

It'd be almost like a Candlejack jo

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4867 on: April 25, 2016, 03:36:21 PM »
Aos will begetting points this summer for competitive play, as well as more campaigns for narrative and expansions for unlimited play.
I'm feeling even more sure that AoS was kirbys bomb in the suitcase ready to kill off anyone who came after him and now damage control is beginning.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4868 on: April 25, 2016, 03:51:07 PM »
Aos will begetting points this summer for competitive play, as well as more campaigns for narrative and expansions for unlimited play.
I'm feeling even more sure that AoS was kirbys bomb in the suitcase ready to kill off anyone who came after him and now damage control is beginning.

Yeah, just saw the ad (cannot get unsubscribed from mailing list), so basically back to basics, just with excessively more expensive models...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4869 on: April 25, 2016, 07:37:35 PM »
Yeah, just saw the ad (cannot get unsubscribed from mailing list), so basically back to basics, just with excessively more expensive models...

Although now i am mor elikely to play it than i was fantasy, since the blocks always put me off. I like the AoS rule set for small games but can't be bothered to sit and try and negotiate the game for an hour or play a game of top trumpts to select my army.

Offline Landsknecht

• Librarian
  • CaptAIN CAAAAAAveman!
    • Landsknecht1525 Youtube Channel
« Reply #4870 on: April 26, 2016, 07:52:03 AM »
This really shakes the foundation to the core.  X-wing has officially outpaced 40k in sales.  :o

GW should jump on the band wagon with the space combat games and re-release Battle Fleet Gothic.

http://www.spikeybits.com/2016/03/warhammer-dethroned-top-5-miniature-games.html

It will be interesting to see what GW's reaction will be this year.

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #4871 on: April 26, 2016, 07:55:20 AM »
This really shakes the foundation to the core.  X-wing has officially outpaced 40k in sales.  :o

GW should jump on the band wagon with the space combat games and re-release Battle Fleet Gothic.

The problem is that, let's be honest here, BFG's rules aren't all that great. They're certainly no X-Wing.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4872 on: April 26, 2016, 08:53:24 AM »
To be honest I'm not really sure comparing 40k and x wing is truely relatable. X wing is basically ready in a box, no painting required and has an already established huge fanbase based upon a series of movies, whereas 40k fanbase is based purely upon itself so has done very well in that regard. X wing probably doesn't have the social stigma that surrounds other wargames.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #4873 on: April 26, 2016, 09:10:20 AM »
Those figures are US data, don't think they apply to UK and Europe, which is (to my knowledge) the bulk of GW's market.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4874 on: April 26, 2016, 09:14:30 AM »
Fair enough then, still great work by FFG though.