Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:13:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693941
  • Total Topics: 118572
  • Online Today: 622
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1729983 times)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5115 on: July 02, 2016, 08:37:08 PM »
While I don't like that model,the idea of a giant stag beetle as a steed or beast of burden in a caravan.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5116 on: July 02, 2016, 08:40:43 PM »
Sir, I take offence. Mr. W.E.Coyote does better than wooden wings with leaves for feathers.

Funny, Grant, but I have to concur with m'learned friend here. lol

It reminds me of a couple of things. One escapes me at the mo, but the other is the Swamp Thing. Reinvented by Alan Moore in the 80's as a groundbreaking philosophical horror comic, then years later the 'New 52' rolled around and turned the character into an armoured he-man with leafy wings.

What a noisy mess, wow.

Dunno if you mean the model or the photo, or both, but for the latter - yeah. It's so cluttered and badly composed that it almost pushes you into inspecting all the details rather than taking the model as a whole. Ironically, you can't see the forest for the trees.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #5117 on: July 02, 2016, 10:08:26 PM »
Agreed.

Those mini-treemen in the same pic look quite cool though!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5118 on: July 02, 2016, 11:07:57 PM »
The treemen don't look Tree enough for me. I don't know what it is. They look too sculpted rather than natural. A hard balance to find but when you can enlist some of the great sculptors that GW has you would think they could.

I'm surprised they didn't 3d scan a tree and put the CEO's face on it.  lol

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5119 on: July 02, 2016, 11:16:53 PM »
The treemen don't look Tree enough for me. I don't know what it is. They look too sculpted rather than natural. A hard balance to find but when you can enlist some of the great sculptors that GW has you would think they could.

I'm surprised they didn't 3d scan a tree and put the CEO's face on it.  lol

I think you might have just found a new market there. I-ent.  lol
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #5120 on: July 02, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »
Um, oh... er, um....  wow.  Just wow... and not in a good way.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #5121 on: July 03, 2016, 12:14:15 AM »
Oh. Just. Oh.

That is certainly a defined and defensible ip...

Whats the odds they will be "sold-out" very soon?

Not many skulz though.. I remember the last lot of tree peoples things had more skulz for adding decoration?

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5122 on: July 03, 2016, 02:34:55 AM »
The treemen don't look Tree enough for me. I don't know what it is. They look too sculpted rather than natural.

It's like that Swamp Thing bit (in case people wondered why it was relevant) - take a strange, otherworldly, plant-thing personification of floral nature, turn it into a badazz Optimus-Prime-made-of-logs barbarian fightin' dewd with big clawz and a bigger... zword... with a grimdark skull-face mask and pondweed dreadlocks and glowy 'tribal' tattoos carved right into his skin, man, and I feel kinda tired now for some reason.

Though to be fair, I thought GW's last few iterations of tree-folk were less ambulatory tree and more Frankenstein's monster fashioned out of bits of rotten lumber, too.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5123 on: July 03, 2016, 02:43:01 AM »
Bring back the Marauder Treeman I say.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5124 on: July 04, 2016, 12:42:51 PM »
It reminds me of a couple of things. One escapes me at the mo...

Maybe this was it?

The Gump. Also sounds a bit relevant.  ;D

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #5125 on: July 05, 2016, 10:51:11 AM »
I just saw a pic of this Alarielle miniature on another site and immeditely came here to convey my emotions on the matter, but inevitably I was beaten to it.

No idea what that thing is that she is riding. Her muscle structure reminds me of the Trey Manor chaos warriors. Which is a bit odd cos isnt she supposed to be a wood elf or something?

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5126 on: July 05, 2016, 10:58:06 AM »
No idea what that thing is that she is riding. Her muscle structure reminds me of the Trey Manor chaos warriors. Which is a bit odd cos isnt she supposed to be a wood elf or something?

I like the beetle, just you know don't entirely see what its doing here. Scrap that, its a stag beetle, and she is supposed to be the lady to cernunos the horned hunter, a stag man, and she is "riding" a stag thingy, get it.  :D

And well she is the atavar/embodyment of the element of life or some such in the new lore I think, not that far off from a chaos god, not saying she should have the muscles to go with it though!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5127 on: July 05, 2016, 11:42:21 AM »
It's Age of Sigmar. Everything's packed with muscle. Moreso than they were, anyway.

isnt she supposed to be a wood elf or something?

Scrap that, its a stag beetle, and she is supposed to be the lady to cernunos the horned hunter

That was Ariel. Alarielle was everqueen of the high elves. Though given that her corner of high elf country was pretty woodsy, and the similarity of the names, the confusion's understandable. :)

I think that's the biggest background jar in my mind, that she's queen of the trees now. If you look at her bit of the GW store - Sylvaneth - there aren't any other elves, just trees. Trees with swords. Trees with ghosts. Trees with boobs. All the wood elves are tucked away in another pocket of all these dozens of 'new' factions. (Including glade guard, which I thought were part of that big plastic purge a while ago)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5128 on: July 05, 2016, 11:48:58 AM »

That was Ariel. Alarielle was everqueen of the high elves. Though given that her corner of high elf country was pretty woodsy, and the similarity of the names, the confusion's understandable. :)

You are completely right, though I think they have rolled them into one character now? She looks a lot more like like the old Ariel then the old Alarielle I think? Might just be the wood theme. I wasn't a massive fan of the butterfly wings but this isn't any better for ariel in any case.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5129 on: July 06, 2016, 12:07:47 AM »
You are completely right, though I think they have rolled them into one character now? She looks a lot more like like the old Ariel then the old Alarielle I think? Might just be the wood theme. I wasn't a massive fan of the butterfly wings but this isn't any better for ariel in any case.

I think this is meant to be a reincarnation of ariel. In the same way Karl Franz became sigmar, ariel became Alarielle after the splitting of the old world into the new realms. I think.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/