Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:16:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693941
  • Total Topics: 118572
  • Online Today: 622
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1729983 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5730 on: January 09, 2017, 10:27:51 AM »
For me, it's the same as almost everything they have put out for fantasy recently - just too much. Too big, too many gubbins hanging off overly exaggerated features. It's like they have said, "turn it up to 11? Why stop there, go to 13".

Yup.

They jumped the shark years ago and have since been jumping whales.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5731 on: January 09, 2017, 11:03:38 AM »
I really like that new Lord of Change - the style (even the head) is just how I hoped it would be.

That said, these untransportably-huge over-delicate models with sky-high price tags are wearing thin. Like with the Bloodthirster, if this model was about half or two-thirds the size, I would consider getting one. As it is, I would have nowhere to put/store it, and doubt I could ever transport it anywhere for a game. :?

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5732 on: January 09, 2017, 01:16:52 PM »
I shudder to imagine the average 12-15 year old who gets this (somehow affording it) and tries to paint it.

This mini, like most of the stuff that GW is now putting out, is no more suitable for 12 year olds than Kingdom of Death. It is aimed at a different market.

12 year olds go for zombicide and frostgrave... easy to paint and cheap.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5733 on: January 09, 2017, 04:09:53 PM »
I like these demons much better than the current crop:

I especially like the left-hand "chaos demon" - he's exactly the sort of squatting monstrosity that Elric might encounter in some nest of chaos. There's a nicely painted example here. The mantis-bodied female one is excellent too - something of late-period Zarozinia about her, I think.

I'd crawl over fifty bloodthirsters just to get to one C34, and a lot of people seem to agree: he and his kind go for about 40 quid each on eBay.

Happily, this guy - who also features in those old Citadel catalogues - is still available from Ral Partha Europe:

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:35:41 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5734 on: January 09, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »
This mini, like most of the stuff that GW is now putting out, is no more suitable for 12 year olds than Kingdom of Death. It is aimed at a different market.

12 year olds go for zombicide and frostgrave... easy to paint and cheap.

I disagree a bit.  I know the kits are aimed at older, more competent modelers...but I think there will be no shortage of hilariously bad Magnus, Lord of Change etc. floating around in the 14-18 range of players.  40K enjoys one of the youngest gamer groups of any miniatures game I can think of (even if they're just buying up a box or two and not actively playing).  Just searching eBay almost daily for old 40K models...the pain...the misery.  lol  I've never seen such poorly painted stuff. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #5735 on: January 09, 2017, 04:57:18 PM »
the pain...the misery.  lol  I've never seen such poorly painted stuff. 

I say, you seem to have spelt "Pro" incorrectly  ::)

That aside - like the new not very mini demon, will maybe one day get a cheap proly-painted one off ebay...

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #5736 on: January 09, 2017, 05:30:31 PM »
40K enjoys one of the youngest gamer groups of any miniatures game I can think of (even if they're just buying up a box or two and not actively playing).  Just searching eBay almost daily for old 40K models...the pain...the misery.  lol  I've never seen such poorly painted stuff. 

Though they have an excuse if they are beginners! We all have to start somewhere, paint shaming is not cool.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #5737 on: January 09, 2017, 05:58:38 PM »
I agree with all criticism that these big centrepiece models are too over the top in terms of details... and seem too delicate and difficult to transport......

But I think it works well in this case. It's a god damn Lord Of Change!

And yes, he is supposed to be the 'spindliest' greater daemon... but he's still a greater daemon! I'm sure the other three would still all beat him in an arm wrestle, but he should be able to destroy regular guys like you and me.

I like the more bestial head. Though the more 'human' old bird head (if that makes sense - it was less bestial and had more human character) still has its charm. I've heard it has multiple head options, so if one of them is less bestial then that will work nicely, giving you the option!

I don't think every Warhammer army needs a big over the top centrepiece model like this. But if there is one army it works well for, it's Chaos, and if there is one god who the over-detailed, spindl, look works for, it is Tzeentch.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #5738 on: January 09, 2017, 06:43:34 PM »
Though they have an excuse if they are beginners! We all have to start somewhere, paint shaming is not cool.
+1
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5739 on: January 09, 2017, 07:03:14 PM »
I'm quite sure all of the stuff on eBay is from old collections - a collection of peoples' first models (hence why they're selling them).  If I saw the stuff I painted in the 90's, I'd probably shudder.  I just look at GW's entire line of models now and I find almost nothing that makes a good model for young painters to cut their teeth on.  Maybe the starter push-fit marines, etc.  I think their range is out-pacing their entry market.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5740 on: January 09, 2017, 07:39:30 PM »
"turn it up to 11? Why stop there, go to 13".

The new setting is a big mash up of all the heavy metal/michael moorcock/psychedelic fantasy aspects of the old world, so it makes sense for them to model this way.
And why not? Every game system has made it's universes off the back of tolkien and old folklore and while they certainly are great (my tolkien collection is insured. I kid you not.) this is a different world ,one that IS turned up to 13.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5741 on: January 09, 2017, 08:33:35 PM »
"Everything turned up to 13" sort of works for Chaos.

But only if you don't also do it for everyone else.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #5742 on: January 09, 2017, 09:41:36 PM »
It's a kit, not a model, at least that's how I look at it. Lots and lots of parts, a monopose and only a few options for head/weapon changes. You cannot bend it, like you can with metals, in order to get a slightly different, more natural look/pose unless you start very heavy converting, cutting and modelling. Not something I greatly enjoy doing while putting together a 50/60+ parts plastic kit. But, as always, to each his own, there's no right or wrong in the hobby, and I admire people greatly who can actually make something really personal, lifelike and unique out of it but again, it's not my cup of tea...
Leadhead

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #5743 on: January 10, 2017, 02:52:25 AM »
I feel like there's a 'Neo Baroque' thing going on in GW miniatures (and in some other aspects of pop culture as well).
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #5744 on: January 10, 2017, 08:29:48 AM »
I'm not going to buy one, but that Lord of Change is excellent - it is as though GW have finally worked out how to bring to life the idea behind the first LoC miniature.

(I say this as a die-hard Space Marine (2nd ed Epic) player. Greater daemons should be huuuuge).