Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:23:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731816 times)

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #7935 on: February 04, 2018, 06:43:08 PM »
Some of the upcoming Necromunda stuff sounds good.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #7936 on: February 04, 2018, 10:03:30 PM »
That hatted chap looks pleasingly like one of the bounty hunters from The Empire Strikes Back.

Why not have the subject holding a single weapon (or tool) in a realistic way? Or (shock horror) not holding anything at all? Thumbs hooked into belt with weapons slung would have looked great.

Couldn't agree more. We've seen very little of that since the original Harboth - but how good was that cross-armed pose compared with all the weapon-brandishing that's followed?

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7937 on: February 04, 2018, 10:49:14 PM »
That hatted chap looks pleasingly like one of the bounty hunters from The Empire Strikes Back.

I like him also, but I can't shake the impression that his hat is made from a Tau drone?

The water guild is reminiscent of the Tau also, but like them I do!

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7938 on: February 05, 2018, 05:36:41 AM »
My thoughts are as follows:

Pros:
- Variety of gang types slated.

- Concept of npc minis.

- Call backs to old RT era minis with the beastman, squat and(apparently) a ratling cook with power ladle in the pipeline!

- Plastic kits supported by resin weapons packs.

- Each gang having its own pet/beast.

Cons:
- Not liking the staggered release format, nobody I know wants to get invested in necromunda at all until all 6 house gangs are released.

- The guilders look too high tech and not 40k enough.

- Love the sculpts for the most part although most seem to be not very convertable, the joins especially are bullshit and from the looks of it the resin minis are all justtwo/three piece minis.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7939 on: February 05, 2018, 11:18:47 AM »
I love how they still use mills bombs 40,000 years into the future

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #7940 on: February 05, 2018, 01:53:23 PM »

- Not liking the staggered release format, nobody I know wants to get invested in necromunda at all until all 6 house gangs are released.

It's just following in the same vein as Blood Bowl and Shadespire. I suspect if they spunked everything out in one go the game would die quicker though. Gradual releases increases their ability to keep people on the hook which these days is especially important when there's so much competition. Might also be an issue of manufacturing capability and not wanting to clog up schedules. I'm sure I read somewhere, could have been TGA Community that GW have been having problems at that end. Still, halfway there with the gangs.  :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7941 on: February 05, 2018, 09:25:04 PM »
Yeah, I'm not getting into Necromunda, but it's based on the rather silly staggered release - coupled with numerous Gang War books coming out every couple of months to support each gang.  I simply won't be supporting that kind of thing unless a large proper rulebook combination is planned.  The books are priced rather much for what they are also, meaning within 12-18 months you could be "required" (more or less) to have a half dozen $30 just to play a game of Necromunda like you used to.  Really not a fan of that approach at all.

If you want to stretch out model releases that's fine...but the constant flow of books is a massive turn off for me.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7942 on: February 05, 2018, 09:51:25 PM »
Someone at GW figured out Nostalgia sells by the look of things.

I imagine it like this.

On his first day, Mr rountree sat at his new desk, straightened his tie, and looked at the list he had had compiled of every request made by warhammer fans over the last 20 years.

He called in the design team and without turing from the window he said "Make them."

"Which...which ones?" they asked fearfully.

rountree spins in his chair ...
"ALL OF THEM. "

the design team run out in terror, pencils and sculpting tools waving frantically.

Rountree looks down at the homepage of DAKKADAKKA ,he sees the thousand comments moaning.A smile crosses his face.

"Those bastards want warhammer?I'll give them all the warhammer they can take..."
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #7943 on: February 05, 2018, 09:57:40 PM »
I don't have a problem with gradual releases ( Shadespire e.g. ). That way the game will be longer available and I cab pick and choose what to buy and what not to buy. I wish they'd make the old Necromunda gangs available - made to order or last chance to buy - though. Really like the new models but 10+ parts a model is ( way ) too much for me.
Leadhead

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7944 on: February 06, 2018, 04:39:17 AM »
Yeah, I'm not getting into Necromunda, but it's based on the rather silly staggered release - coupled with numerous Gang War books coming out every couple of months to support each gang.  I simply won't be supporting that kind of thing unless a large proper rulebook combination is planned.  The books are priced rather much for what they are also, meaning within 12-18 months you could be "required" (more or less) to have a half dozen $30 just to play a game of Necromunda like you used to.  Really not a fan of that approach at all.

If you want to stretch out model releases that's fine...but the constant flow of books is a massive turn off for me.
I hear ya, me too.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #7945 on: February 06, 2018, 01:46:03 PM »
To release "everything" at once would be both impossible and stupid af.

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7946 on: February 06, 2018, 02:48:09 PM »
To release "everything" at once would be both impossible and stupid af.
and something no miniatures company has ever done or done successfully. but the new necromunda community demand to be spoon fed everything instantly and unrealistically.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7947 on: February 06, 2018, 04:32:47 PM »
So, you genuinely believe GW is incapable of launching a game with a whoppin' six plastic gang kits, and (gasp) a rulebook which actually contains...all the rules?  Lose the attitude.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #7948 on: February 06, 2018, 04:55:50 PM »
They're probably just going the low-risk route to see if online interest actually pans out into sales. It makes (albeit annoying) sense to dip the toe and see how popular each release is before planning how/when/if to expand them. After all, they're trying to bring back a game that was shelved for not being profitable enough, so it's not surprising.

I agree though as a (potential) consumer. I might be tempted by nice models, but I'd be a lot more likely to invest in a game if I knew exactly what the finished product looked like. Expansions to a core game are one thing, but teasy-weasy bits and pieces don't float my boat. Presumably given the options of potentially annoying customers and risking a big loss in launching the whole thing in one go, they're going with the lesser of two weevils.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7949 on: February 06, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »
So, you genuinely believe GW is incapable of launching a game with a whoppin' six plastic gang kits, and (gasp) a rulebook which actually contains...all the rules?  Lose the attitude.

Content wise all gangs and rules would about equal a regular army launch, if that, I'd guess.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)