Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 09:08:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694170
  • Total Topics: 118585
  • Online Today: 631
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731742 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1185 on: July 20, 2014, 11:25:23 AM »
But the overall point is that if you don't outgrow 40K, 40K outgrows you. Or rather, it forces you to outgrow it in it's efforts to change and appeal to new generations of it's target demographic: kids and teens.

I used to love the 'Banana Splits' when I was a kid. I watched them again a few years back in a fit of nostalgia ... oh dear ...

Similarly 'Battle of the Planets' (although the title music still rocks). The animation is really stop-start and I never realised just how amazingly camp the bad guy is.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #1186 on: July 20, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »
Yup, that's the kind of thing I mean. ;) Something that was well-loved years ago doesn't hold up when we're older and... well, maybe wiser. But that's maybe preferable to trying to hold onto it over decades as our brains and outlook and tastes change, and as it warps and changes and runs as fast as it can to keep in the same place. Personally, I can't rouse much interest in the new Disney Star Wars trilogy 'cos it's not for me. It's not 'my' Star Wars anymore. That was a lesson hard-learned from the prequels.
Or take the ninja turtles: most of my experience of them was watching the wacky early '90s cartoon, but like I say that was spun out of the comic which started as a dark parody of the wave of 'gritty' 80's-'90's comics. Looking at wikipedia, there's been about 5-6 comics series, 5 TV shows (live action and animated, including the current CGI one) and a bunch of movies including the next Michael Bay travesty. (He's already amply demonstrated he shouldn't be allowed near childhood favourites) Now I still have a nostalgic fondness for the TMNT in whatever shape; but couldja be bothered keeping up with them all, let alone faithfully following them, over three decades? And couldja be bothered doing the same with all the versions and incarnations of 40K and it's factions?

A bit more on-topic: yeah, I saw those 40K boards already. What makes them extra-special is that they're the same two boards repeated three times. And they look less like streets than spaceship bulkheads laid over loose dirt.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1187 on: July 20, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »
Any close ups of the boards and preferably not the GW site as my iPad seems to have fallen out with it  :?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #1188 on: July 20, 2014, 07:53:24 PM »
Yup, that's the kind of thing I mean. ;) Something that was well-loved years ago doesn't hold up when we're older and... well, maybe wiser. But that's maybe preferable to trying to hold onto it over decades as our brains and outlook and tastes change, and as it warps and changes and runs as fast as it can to keep in the same place. Personally, I can't rouse much interest in the new Disney Star Wars trilogy 'cos it's not for me. It's not 'my' Star Wars anymore. That was a lesson hard-learned from the prequels.
Or take the ninja turtles: most of my experience of them was watching the wacky early '90s cartoon, but like I say that was spun out of the comic which started as a dark parody of the wave of 'gritty' 80's-'90's comics. Looking at wikipedia, there's been about 5-6 comics series, 5 TV shows (live action and animated, including the current CGI one) and a bunch of movies including the next Michael Bay travesty. (He's already amply demonstrated he shouldn't be allowed near childhood favourites) Now I still have a nostalgic fondness for the TMNT in whatever shape; but couldja be bothered keeping up with them all, let alone faithfully following them, over three decades? And couldja be bothered doing the same with all the versions and incarnations of 40K and it's factions?

A bit more on-topic: yeah, I saw those 40K boards already. What makes them extra-special is that they're the same two boards repeated three times. And they look less like streets than spaceship bulkheads laid over loose dirt.

Yep, I weep to think how Jj Abramss wiped his butt with Star Trek and Gene Roddenberrys legacy....
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #1189 on: July 20, 2014, 08:02:55 PM »
The ROBB are GW's latest attempt at being straight-jacketed and led away to a nice, safe place.

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #1190 on: July 20, 2014, 09:42:54 PM »
From GW's website:
There are two tile designs in the set, three of each, which are inspired by the war torn streets of an Imperial city. They can be arranged in any number of different ways to produce an almost endless variety of combinations
lol

Also mentions that the streets are wide enough to accommodate  a baneblade and refers you to a picture where the baneblade doesn't quite fit on the street.
 lol

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #1191 on: July 20, 2014, 09:58:37 PM »
From GW's website: lol

Also mentions that the streets are wide enough to accommodate  a baneblade and refers you to a picture where the baneblade doesn't quite fit on the street.
 lol

That's how the city was destroyed in the first place, after all, not by an alien incursion....
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1192 on: July 20, 2014, 11:02:32 PM »
I have some of their cheaper Cityscape bases, the 6'x4' cardboard roll that has a road system on it and the set of vinyl roads on a roll.

'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1193 on: July 21, 2014, 01:49:51 AM »
I also wonder if you outgrow 40k etc because there is so much better stuff out there to play now. Just like the stop motion animation in older movies seems so outdated compared to CGI so too does Warhammer rules compared to more modern rule types.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1194 on: July 21, 2014, 01:58:02 AM »
That's definitely a part of it. Moving to historical tank is what did it for me. No more made up game changing uber-weapons that GW makes up to "balance" the game.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #1195 on: July 21, 2014, 03:15:10 AM »
In the interests of science I have tried to make more precise the number of combinations possible.
Assuming a 3 by 2 set up, and 3 of each tile, there are  6!/(3!3!) combinations. There are 4 orientations of each tile. Also there are symmetries which reduces the amount by half.
So thats 24576 combinations.

So far so good.

Now, a rough calculation shows that on average for each connection about half of the choices of the two orientations produces a road layout that doesnt join up properly. So making a crude approximation that all 7 connections are independent, we have to divide by 128. In other words, of those 24576 combinations, approximately 24384 of them lead to a buggered up road system.

That leaves us with approximately 192 combinations. Call it 200. Thats 1 pound per combination. Viewed this pount of view, we might say that they should sell this product at Poundland.   ;)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1196 on: July 21, 2014, 03:15:15 AM »
That's definitely a part of it. Moving to historical tank is what did it for me. No more made up game changing uber-weapons that GW makes up to "balance" the game.

Nope. Just have to deal with the IS2 :-)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #1197 on: July 21, 2014, 08:03:26 AM »
I saw those 40K boards already. What makes them extra-special is that they're the same two boards repeated three times. And they look less like streets than spaceship bulkheads laid over loose dirt.

I keep looking at them and thinking "In the grim darkness of far future cities, there are only trip hazards"!  lol

For me, whilst I was never a huge fan of the old CRoBB, I was expecting some extra tiles (albeit at additional cost) in this new board so that if you had 8 tiles for a 6'x4' board you could have some genuine (modular) variety at last. Instead, they seem to have gone backwards... And made the whole board flat for some reason. :?

In either instance, I think the wave of Kickstarters that we suffered/experienced last year shows that: 1) people want to pay a lot for low-hassle modular gaming boards that you can stand on (which is important, as I regularly stand on mine to help relieve dull games), and 2) such boards can be made much cheaper and in much more interesting configurations/layouts.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1198 on: July 21, 2014, 09:25:13 AM »
In the interests of science I have tried to make more precise the number of combinations possible.
Assuming a 3 by 2 set up, and 3 of each tile, there are  6!/(3!3!) combinations. There are 4 orientations of each tile. Also there are symmetries which reduces the amount by half.
So thats 24576 combinations.

So far so good.

Now, a rough calculation shows that on average for each connection about half of the choices of the two orientations produces a road layout that doesnt join up properly. So making a crude approximation that all 7 connections are independent, we have to divide by 128. In other words, of those 24576 combinations, approximately 24384 of them lead to a buggered up road system.

That leaves us with approximately 192 combinations. Call it 200. Thats 1 pound per combination. Viewed this pount of view, we might say that they should sell this product at Poundland.   ;)

Sometimes i think i'm not THAT bad at maths, then people like you come along and i skulk back to my cave of innumeracy.  :)

I can honestly believe that these boards cost a fortune (in production terms) to make,but man are they ugly.they're so bumpy that you can't even put the larger pieces of terrain on there, like the skull defense line and the fortress of skulls.how am i meant to play battle for skull city if i can't place the fortress of skullitude on my bumpy board?
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1199 on: July 21, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »
You have to use the power of greyskull! Oh wait, wrong fantasy realm!