Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:22:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694218
  • Total Topics: 118591
  • Online Today: 694
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731965 times)

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1320 on: August 05, 2014, 12:37:43 AM »
Sounds like a fun leader!
supply of berserker drugs (frenzon?)
Yes probably frenzon. There was also something called stimulants, but it acted more like smelling salts to revive people from strange gas effects and psychological states, rather than combat amphetamines.

btw, nonsensically it is techically possible for the Imperial Guard to ally with the Imperial Army (25% of the force could be allies from the Rogue Trader army list) and hence get a squad on powerboards that way. Trouble was the Astronomican seemed to go out of print quite soon after (presumably because of this kind of inconcsistencies) so probably not many people used such a force in games.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1321 on: August 05, 2014, 12:57:01 AM »

... bunch of unstable angry drug addicts dosed to the eyeballs and given really big and dangerous weapons. Especially if they are somewhat unpredictable and have potential to go and do their own thing despite your wishes.

Sounds like my D&D group.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1322 on: August 05, 2014, 01:23:16 AM »
Battle Drugs were in ST too, is that an IP infringement?

and

'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #1323 on: August 05, 2014, 03:02:32 AM »
Well, the US airforce is STILL having issues with pilots being given loads of speed, so there is for sure some currency there.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1324 on: August 05, 2014, 08:39:35 AM »
If the current chairman's preamble is anything to go by, GW's upper management has similar issues...  ;D lol

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1325 on: August 05, 2014, 08:50:07 AM »
If the current chairman's preamble is anything to go by, GW's upper management has similar issues...  ;D lol

Blowing all the profits on warp dust?  lol

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #1326 on: August 05, 2014, 02:21:35 PM »
Jet bikes were some of the coolest imperial guard minis around.

Plus they had slouch hats. Who doesn't like slouch hats?

If the floating-boat chariot has anti-grav capability, why doesn't it have any form of propulsion? Surely the whole point of anti-grav would be speed and the possibility of using it in any form of terrain .... and it is then tied to dogs. It's like something from Wacky Races, but much slower.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #1327 on: August 05, 2014, 02:28:18 PM »
Careful Cubs, you might start giving GW designers ideas.... ;D

Come to think of it, number 10 looks a lot like the Ork Battlewagon kit in layout... :o

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #1328 on: August 05, 2014, 02:28:30 PM »
Hey, those are cool!  lol

The whole idea of using animals for mounts/propulsion in a universe filled with automatic weapons and big portable guns is rather silly. They wouldn't even have lasted n the opening minutes of WWI.

But, it's the Space Wolves, so they've got to ride wolves. I am SO looking forward to the Imperial Fists  ::)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1329 on: August 05, 2014, 03:07:08 PM »
Hey, those are cool!  lol

The whole idea of using animals for mounts/propulsion in a universe filled with automatic weapons and big portable guns is rather silly. They wouldn't even have lasted n the opening minutes of WWI.

But, it's the Space Wolves, so they've got to ride wolves. I am SO looking forward to the Imperial Fists  ::)

Big men riding even bigger fists?
I think you need a credit card to get on websites like that....

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #1330 on: August 05, 2014, 04:20:02 PM »
Careful Cubs, you might start giving GW designers ideas.... ;D

Come to think of it, number 10 looks a lot like the Ork Battlewagon kit in layout... :o

That is so close, if Wacky Races had come out after that model, I'm pretty sure GW would've been all over their ass for IP infringement!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #1331 on: August 05, 2014, 04:38:35 PM »
Big men riding even bigger fists?
I think you need a credit card to get on websites like that....

So, I don't need (an even bigger) credit card for buying Imperial Fists?  lol

Jokes aside, I really think GW has reached another peak of stupidity with the SW designs (and miniature over-the-top design overall), the price of their new un-painted vac-formed 'table', and their pricing generically speaking.

It's a shame, really. If they'd put the same amount of fervour into making better games as defending their IP (did everyone know, that the Danish translation of orc has been ork in LotR since the mid-70's), and designing ever more detailed miniatures, and keeping their prices at a reasonable level, they would probably have thrived and provided the gaming world with useable stuff for decades to come. I really don't see that happening now (and I don't think that's been the case for the last decade and half or so).

Funny thing is, I've been ridiculed over and over again (even on this forum) when I stated that the continuous price sky-rocketing would have to spell doom for the company at some point - according to every economics theory I've been taught at uni.

I'm pretty sure that the Warhammer and W40K franchises will be bought and continued if GW folds, but what they'll develop into... well, my 8 year old daughter's guess is as good as mine.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #1332 on: August 05, 2014, 05:04:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the Warhammer and W40K franchises will be bought and continued if GW folds, but what they'll develop into... well, my 8 year old daughter's guess is as good as mine.

So, what does she think?   ;)

On a more serious note, GW's design has indeed become overdone and ridiculous to the point of idiocy. Even more so with their background setting, it's all hyperbole and superlatives for their own sake (and the sake of sales).... And I find, that despite my long appreciation for their visual style and their elaborate background, it's pushing me away. I'll play the version of their setting I prefer, and they can do whatever they like with theirs. My 40K and their 40K have become two entirely different things.

P.S. Sudden thought: What ever happened to Warhammer Fantasy? When did that become the second red-headed stepchild? GW seems to be focussing on 40K almost completely this year.

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #1333 on: August 06, 2014, 01:29:41 AM »
I saw lots of new GW stuff recently and lots of it looked like transformer toys on the tabletop. Not taking the piss but being serious. They were so big they became very toy like. That being said the plague flies or what ever they are called were stunning. More of that and less voltron I says.

Totally agree. Those Plague Flies ar some of the best miniatures they've produced in years. The plastic plaguebearers aren't bad either. But unfortunately they are in the minority. Some of the worst miniatures I've ever seen have come out of GW in the last year or so. Those massive space marine terminator things, that massive khorne thing (lord of skulls  lol), Tau transformer toys (Riptide?), Chaos Marine Obliterators/Mutilators, those Imperial Guard stormtrooper guys (that are so bulky they make space marines look like 16 year old girls), Dark Angels flying church/DJ booth and now the new Space Wolf release hammering the final nail into a marine chapter I used to quite like when I was younger.
Makes me really sad to be honest.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1334 on: August 06, 2014, 04:31:28 AM »
Dark Angels flying church/DJ booth .

A foam Mickey Mouse antenna topper head and Brother-DJ Deadmau5 will be party-rockin' the battle barge until the Emperor wakes.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984