Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:17:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1729919 times)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2160 on: November 12, 2014, 08:40:08 AM »
So a Putin-Medvedev swap then?  lol

Astute, but careful - No politics on LAF!  :-X

Moving swiftly on, I see that Forge World's been busy again, and this time has rejuvenated one of the old classic RT "Crusader" robots.

I think it looks great, and although I won't be buying any, I really do feel once again that FW "get it" when it comes to figuring out what their long-term customers want in terms of design and models.

It also looks to me like the new Solar Auxilia are CAD-designed and the masters 3-D printed. A first for FW I think?

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2161 on: November 12, 2014, 10:32:14 AM »
Yes the robots are really nice and do reflect the older style I remember from illustrations. nothing not to like there.

Sadly way out of range of reality for my pocket money.

Agree, forgeworld do seem to get it far more than GW regards what to push out,  actually looks good, and might  sell to those who can afford/want their stuff enough.

It is interesting if they are willing to try 3d printing when sugar Daddy GW are busy saying not for years, again though that primarily related to product for the customer, so maybe they are sharing in regards to product design/modification - it would certainly help speed some development works along?

They are listed,  or rather Daddy GW, as a customer by envisiontec. So maybe its forgeworld currently have their sweaty hands on the kit rather than GW themselves, and are mixing things up with it?

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #2162 on: November 12, 2014, 11:52:42 AM »
I agree. If I had the money to spend (or they were a bit cheaper  ;) ) I'd definitely be buying loads of the FW Mechanicum stuff. I just seen these (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/Mechanicum/Mechanicum_Troops/TECH_THRALLS_WITH_LASLOCKS.html) and thought they're a bit expensive. Then I remembered that for example, Space Marine Terminators are £35 for a box of 5 and while these guys might be smaller, they're much nicer quality, so maybe in some ways FW are better value than GW.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2163 on: November 12, 2014, 03:50:57 PM »
Nice clockworky and interesting - maybe for a steampunky nightmare.

but still thats 26 smacks in the face for 5 miniatures...

5 Spacey Marines for 35 really hard smacks is, well - does not compute. I mean 7 pounds each?

Regardless of the quality of the sculpts, they just cannot justify itty bitty bits of plastic/resin/restic/failcrap or whatever being that much. Regardless the smaller/larger whatever.

You can get quality metal miniatures for less!

No for me they are good for a laugh at, admire the quality perhaps, but unless its an e-bay second hand or something pic up, no.

Better things to put my money in - like the mortgage, cheese and stocking up for the apocalypse.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2164 on: November 12, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »
Yes the robots are really nice and do reflect the older style I remember from illustrations. nothing not to like there.

Seriously tempted by those robots!
Like a MKII version of the old RT .......Crusader, was it ?
 :-* :-*

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2165 on: November 12, 2014, 05:00:06 PM »
I can't seem to find them on the FW site? Which ones are you guys talking about? I really like their mechanicum offerings, so I'd love to see the new stuff.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #2166 on: November 12, 2014, 05:01:58 PM »
I can't seem to find them on the FW site? Which ones are you guys talking about? I really like their mechanicum offerings, so I'd love to see the new stuff.

I am talking about these:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/VORAX_BATTLE_AUTOMATA.html

Very tempting!
 8)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2167 on: November 12, 2014, 05:27:10 PM »
Oh very cool!

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #2168 on: November 12, 2014, 06:20:33 PM »
Nice clockworky and interesting - maybe for a steampunky nightmare.

but still thats 26 smacks in the face for 5 miniatures...

5 Spacey Marines for 35 really hard smacks is, well - does not compute. I mean 7 pounds each?

Regardless of the quality of the sculpts, they just cannot justify itty bitty bits of plastic/resin/restic/failcrap or whatever being that much. Regardless the smaller/larger whatever.

You can get quality metal miniatures for less!

No for me they are good for a laugh at, admire the quality perhaps, but unless its an e-bay second hand or something pic up, no.

Better things to put my money in - like the mortgage, cheese and stocking up for the apocalypse.

Oh I'm not trying to justify that price. Just saying it's better value than GW 5-man boxed sets. That's all. I completely agree with you about better quality/cheaper miniatures elsewhere and having better things to spend my money on. Especially the stocking up for the apocalypse part.  ;) :D

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #2169 on: November 12, 2014, 07:26:51 PM »
FW is going all out creating extra knights aren't  they. 8)

Oooh, the new WWI tank/express train is pretty hot (especially in red!) I like it, and could see it uses in various ways too.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/TRIAROS_ARMOURED_CONVEYER.html

Cheers
Matt.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2170 on: November 12, 2014, 09:27:50 PM »
Yes, forgeworld has some very pretties, but I too fall in the camp that puts priority on mortgaging my cheese for the apocalypse...  :D

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2171 on: November 12, 2014, 10:54:31 PM »
Oh I'm not trying to justify that price. Just saying it's better value than GW 5-man boxed sets. That's all. I completely agree with you about better quality/cheaper miniatures elsewhere and having better things to spend my money on. Especially the stocking up for the apocalypse part.  ;) :D

Oh I do understand reeally, it just goes to show that even expensive forgeworld resin casts can start to look reasonably priced when compared to anything GW...

Yes, forgeworld has some very pretties, but I too fall in the camp that puts priority on mortgaging my cheese for the apocalypse...  :D

Mark my words, heed to my thoughts and gaze upon my cheese gourds. Come the apocalypse, the importance of mortgaged cheese will be of the utmost.

Still 3 robots for 48 smackers, that's almost reasonable compared to a 5 armored dog dangler transport drop-pods one click  bundle....

nooooo noooo damn you forgeworld and your pretties - I am off to sniff the cheese, or cut it. maybe both! Where did I put the cheese knife?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #2172 on: November 12, 2014, 11:41:47 PM »
Still 3 robots for 48 smackers, that's almost reasonable compared to a 5 armored dog dangler transport drop-pods one click  bundle....

I think forty eight quid for three quality large sculpts like that is entirely reasonable, especially compared to trying to source the original metal 80's versions.
A bargain, actually.

The only thing stalling me is I don't actually need three, so if anyone else in the UK has the same thoughts....lets talk turkey.
 :D

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2173 on: November 13, 2014, 09:12:20 AM »
[...] it just goes to show that even expensive forgeworld resin casts can start to look reasonably priced when compared to anything GW...

Yep, this. Been that way for a little while now as well.

I *know* FW is very expensive, but when it starts to look reasonable (or even cheaper) than the regular GW, then you have to chain your wallet shut just in case temptation gets the better of you.

Even so, there are some things that are not too horrendous and which I pick up from time to time as required. (The weapon packs are reasonable for example. Not exactly cheap, but they are affordable, and are usually a good-value option of acquiring lots of special or heavy weapons for a project).

The only thing stalling me is I don't actually need three, so if anyone else in the UK has the same thoughts....lets talk turkey.
 :D

Yeah, I think that £16 for one *might* be tempting, but that's only on the basis of "wouldn't it be nice to have one to paint...".

Plus, I think that they would make good Reaver Titans for Epic, and at that price are again comparable to an actual Titan. There's not much on them that wouldn't "scale" to 6mm either.

However, in reality, I can't justify these sorts of GW/FW side projects any more, and... well, see my comment above about chaining wallets!  lol

(The Crusaders Vorax Battle-Automata are really nice though.  :-*)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2174 on: November 13, 2014, 01:18:18 PM »
Regarding store rebranding (from a few pages back)

I just passed the Edinburgh store at lunchtime, and it's now "Warhammer". It looks like they are going ahead with the name change for all.

The name change doesn't really bother me (at least they didn't call it The Hobby Store), but the dark colour means you don't see it unless you're looking for it. Don't see the logic in that ???