Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 10:28:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694176
  • Total Topics: 118585
  • Online Today: 631
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731761 times)

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2925 on: May 02, 2015, 09:59:26 PM »
The only way they'll get me to spend money on a "limited edition"  lol boxed game is if they do a proper re-release of Necromunda (with terrain!) or Warhammer Quest (both 20 year old games by now).

If they are desperate enough, and they think it will up the margin selling it at their modern pricing level, I am sure they will look under the right sofa and find some boxes... labelled Space Hulk  :D

Seriously though, its gonna be an IP sell game - after all there's Mordheim as a computer game now. so....

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2926 on: May 03, 2015, 02:15:58 AM »
I'd like to see necromunda done in the style of battlefield. Respawning gangers but first person shooter. Different games with different abilities.

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2927 on: May 03, 2015, 02:57:54 AM »
When White Dwarf comes out with some type of overpower rules for the assassins models from the game the tournament scene will buy the game in droves.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2928 on: May 03, 2015, 05:31:54 AM »
I know it wouldn't fit the original gameplay, but I'd love to see it FPS.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2929 on: May 03, 2015, 09:36:45 AM »
There's a Space Hulk co-op FPS being developed, that looks to be quite promising. Have yet to see actual gameplay footage though.
I think Necromunda is a hard nut to crack as a game; the terrain and setting screams fps but the theme (gang-based survival and progression) lends itself more to an (xcom sized) real-time or turn-based strategy game or even a Torchlight/Diablo-alike co-op. But then you get close to mmo structures with clans and such.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #2930 on: May 03, 2015, 12:35:39 PM »
The new Imperial Knights are out.  Looks like a much bigger range of options on an extra sprue this time round; only a £10 price increase.  They do look seriously lovely kits, although whether they're good gaming pieces is another matter.

There's one deal where, if you buy a bundle of five of them (£475, no discount), you get a free sheet of special rules for them!  Limted to 100 copies only!

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Exalted-Court-House-Terryn-Rules-Bundle

This may be the stupidest thing I've ever seen - not limited edition rulebooks, but limited edition RULES.

Basically, they're selling to Saudi princes and poker "whales" now...

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2931 on: May 03, 2015, 02:14:23 PM »
I just saw the warden on the GW main page, in passing. Bit disappointed that it's the standard 40K knight with an extra rocket launcher rather than ye olde robotic-front-half-of-a-tortoise from past Epic incarnations.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2932 on: May 03, 2015, 02:55:48 PM »
I just saw the warden on the GW main page, in passing. Bit disappointed that it's the standard 40K knight with an extra rocket launcher rather than ye olde robotic-front-half-of-a-tortoise from past Epic incarnations.
Agreed  :(
In fact there's a Forgeworld Chaos beastie which is closer in appearance to the old Epic warden than this, although it needs a different set of legs and a missile launcher.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2933 on: May 03, 2015, 03:28:51 PM »

Thats a shame. so basically rather than develop different models to properly represent previous iterations we get the same size fits all with an extra bits sprew?

Will stick with me epic ones then, once I remember where I put them...

I liked the way the epic scale knights had some variance in design, ah well, guess that means they will all be exactly the same then. That's just expensive, cheap cop-out boring. Limited edition exclusive web bundle rules ooooh, and only in English!!! English!!! aaah the UKIP party will want some of that.

As for Necromunda, its either co-op fps with gangs/clans or whatever, so mulitplayer... or its strategy, and something similar to the recent Mordheim would fit, as again its gangs etc.

Anyway they will out what they think will get money so proobably one of everything by selling the IP to all available different developers accordingly.

Then we will likely end up with  monopoly and candy crush style versions to. hmm.

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #2934 on: May 03, 2015, 04:44:18 PM »
I'd actually quite like a Fallout/Farcry-esque sandbox game for Necromunda. Imagine how awesome that would be. I'm already sorted for turn based strategy games with Fallout Tactics and X-Com. :D

Re: Knights. Most 40k players game on a 6'x4' table so they are way too big for 40k.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2935 on: May 06, 2015, 12:39:15 PM »
The new Imperial Knights are out.  Looks like a much bigger range of options on an extra sprue this time round; only a £10 price increase.  They do look seriously lovely kits, although whether they're good gaming pieces is another matter.

Well, not exactly. Think about it: you're paying more for this kit than the previous one, but you still have to "buy" the previous kit's weapons that you likely won't be using. So if it's £10 for a new sprue of weapons, then you're also paying a nominal £10 for the sprue you're not using as well. This makes the kit effectively £20 more expensive than before (i.e., an increase of roughly 23.5%). To distract you from this, GW have released some profiles that mix-and-match both weapons sets.

I think that even a "support" chassis based on the Titan Legions knights (Castellans and Crusaders) would have been cool, and would have still been similar enough to allow crossover with the first kit.

Thats a shame. so basically rather than develop different models to properly represent previous iterations we get the same size fits all with an extra bits sprew?

Yep.

Plus, following how they re-released the Baneblade to include the Shadow Sword sprues, I'd expect the first Knight kit to be discontinued as this new kit will allow you to build all current Knight versions to date.  ::)

And, the limited edition free rules with the web bundle? Don't worry, they'll be invalidated soon enough along with Codex: Imperial Knights when the new version of Codex: Imperial Knight Households gets released and supercedes them both!  ;D

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #2936 on: May 06, 2015, 04:14:50 PM »
Well, not exactly. Think about it: you're paying more for this kit than the previous one, but you still have to "buy" the previous kit's weapons that you likely won't be using. So if it's £10 for a new sprue of weapons, then you're also paying a nominal £10 for the sprue you're not using as well. This makes the kit effectively £20 more expensive than before (i.e., an increase of roughly 23.5%). To distract you from this, GW have released some profiles that mix-and-match both weapons sets.

Magnets - why limit yourself to one build?  I tend to magnetise even things like GW heavy weapons teams, and in 40k you'll want to tinker with loadouts.

I think that even a "support" chassis based on the Titan Legions knights (Castellans and Crusaders) would have been cool, and would have still been similar enough to allow crossover with the first kit.

Yeah, definitely.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:21:41 PM by Momotaro »

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2937 on: May 06, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
Magnets - why limit yourself to one build?  I tend to magnetise even things like GW heavy weapons teams, and in 40k you'll want to tinker with loadouts.

Yeah, definitely.

These magnets you speak of sound blasphemous, you mean there is a way of not having to purchase each different variety?  lol lol

I have only ever magnetised one item and that was for someone on request as I dont play as much, I can however see for big gamers how this technique is SOOOOOOOO useful and should really be utilised by everyone in the hobby. just make sure you get good magnets haha...
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2938 on: May 07, 2015, 11:03:44 AM »
Magnets - why limit yourself to one build?

The way the weapons are designed makes it hard to magnetise all the options. It's almost as if it was designed to be purposely difficult!  ::)

It is doable though, if you're willing to sink in the effort; you have to accept that swapping the weapons will be a bit more involved than usual magnetised miniatures too. Good example of the work involved here.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #2939 on: May 07, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »
The way the weapons are designed makes it hard to magnetise all the options. It's almost as if it was designed to be purposely difficult!  ::)

I cannot even imagine that GW would think of doing such a thing  :D

It is doable though, if you're willing to sink in the effort; you have to accept that swapping the weapons will be a bit more involved than usual magnetised miniatures too. Good example of the work involved here.

Yeah, that's quite involved, isn't it?  Doable though, and on a kit of that size and price I'd be looking to spend tens of hours assembling and painting it to do the model justice.