Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:25:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694202
  • Total Topics: 118587
  • Online Today: 694
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731874 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3405 on: July 10, 2015, 08:59:10 PM »
A new outing for a favourite:

http://captiongenerator.com/48861/Age-of-Sigmar-interview

Not seen a Downfall video for it yet  :D

This is possibly the funniest video I've seen for a long time!  lol lol
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:06:44 PM by Gibby »

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #3406 on: July 10, 2015, 11:25:13 PM »
lol lol lol

What a way to start my Saturday, thanks guys! :D hahahhaaha. 'No one even plays with points anymore' hahahahah.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3407 on: July 11, 2015, 04:29:59 PM »
Age of sigmar book released. As far as i can tell it contains the rules,scenarios, fiction and ,according to the website ,the first set of campaign scenarios for the new advancing setting, which seems to suggest the lore is going to advance as the books do similar to the end times books.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #3408 on: July 11, 2015, 05:27:27 PM »
Bought the box set today  lol

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3409 on: July 11, 2015, 06:09:10 PM »
If anyone has the book, can I ask a specific question? I've seen people talk about the benefit of shooting into combat, but there's nothing about it in the four-page pdf. Not  'do' or 'don't' or anything in between. What's the book say on the matter?

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3410 on: July 12, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
At first I thought, no this isn't for me, but I'm actually really liking the figures now, I think with a few alterations conversions etc i could find myself buying the starter set, the sigmarines would make great statues for frostgrave too........

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #3411 on: July 12, 2015, 12:38:20 PM »
If anyone has the book, can I ask a specific question? I've seen people talk about the benefit of shooting into combat, but there's nothing about it in the four-page pdf. Not  'do' or 'don't' or anything in between. What's the book say on the matter?
Sorry not looked ,I had parents round yesterday,ive it even opened it ,I'm thinking of putting it back for one of sons Christmas presents,and getting my own now, lol

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3412 on: July 12, 2015, 04:39:21 PM »
I think the Age of Sigmar marks a significant departure from the past for GW and a good one at that.

Mind you if you look at individual box sets and hero figures they seem quite expensive. The rank and file will cost you around 10 Euros a figure... pretty much on a par with Infinity minis.

If, however, you use the starter set as your base, you can add an additional box set or 2 plus a hero and the average mini will cost you around 4 euros.

The starter set is your "army builder" at 2,13 Euros per mini. If you want a larger army you start there and use the extra weapons from the box sets to give you some variety.

In terms of cost, I think when folks start to analyze how they can build "armies" in the Age of Sigmar, they will find them significantly cheaper than Warhammer.

Cheers!

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #3413 on: July 13, 2015, 10:05:52 AM »
The rank and file will cost you around 10 Euros a figure... pretty much on a par with Infinity minis.

The starter set is your "army builder" at 2,13 Euros per mini. If you want a larger army you start there and use the extra weapons from the box sets to give you some variety.

Except that Infinity minis are pretty much all character models, and you don't need many of them for a game.

Also, the 'starter set as army builder' idea only works if you want those two armies.

The Lord Celestant figure is 20 quid... are you seriously saying you think GW have made Fantasy cheaper with the AoS release?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3414 on: July 13, 2015, 12:04:31 PM »
Except that Infinity minis are pretty much all character models, and you don't need many of them for a game.

Also, the 'starter set as army builder' idea only works if you want those two armies.

The Lord Celestant figure is 20 quid... are you seriously saying you think GW have made Fantasy cheaper with the AoS release?

I was working this out the other day because i saw the prices of the new figures and felt my insides clench like a knight fighting a slaaneshi champion.
What kept me out of fantasy wasn't that the troops were too costly in themselves, but that you needed SO BLOODY MAN OF THEM!! i once worked out that t have a small empire army, i'd need to drop £200 on the minis alone,and it'd still be nowhere near the 1500 points id need to play most games.

The stormcast eternals are pricey,no doubt, but you don't need as many of them, no where near as many! I could play a game and spend £50 on the 5 troops and comander, then splash out on a couple of boxes of lesser troops (say empire ,if they're stil around) and convert/buy some lesser heros like priests of sigmar ect. I would probably end up spending around £100.
It's not cheap, no where NEAR cheap, but as a way of getting a playable army together, it is cheaper than old fantasy.

I think AoS is really beyond comparison to fantasy, because the two systems are so different! the stormscast kit is more like a terminator kit for marines than it is rank and file troops, and despite what the pictures in the books tell us, i think you're gonna be playing very small armies of them.

On a side note, the eternals have the same basic stats as chaos warriors, which makes me wonder if we'll be seeing new even chunkier chaos warrior kits coming out soon to match them in size and unit structure.the commander matches pretty closely to the chaos lord aswell , so i have a feeling these guys are meant to be our big powerful human soldiers and we will be seeing some lesser troops to go alongside them, like cultists of sigmar. 

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3415 on: July 13, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »

The Infinity minis are incredibly tiny... and putting some of them together can be a huge pain in the arse. They are quite expensive (minimum of 10 Euros each) as well, so if you want to throw money at them... your choice. Having said that, even Infinity uses the starter sets as the basic gateway into their gaming world.

And yes, I am serious in saying that GW has made Fantasy cheaper and the starter box set (soon to be sets I´m sure) is the foundation. If you don't like one of the AoS armies in the box, I am sure you will be able to sell them for at least a break even price on Ebay, though I think most folks will just swap forces at their local shop.

When you understand that the heart of the system is the starter box, then adding a hero means that you will still have paid less than 4 Euros per mini.

In my world, that is cheap.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3416 on: July 13, 2015, 05:07:20 PM »
I think in "Cheaper" based on the reduction in required number of miniatures, then yes, to actually setup for a battle, they have in effect made it cheaper.

Cheaper overall to play this game currently than previous WFB (RIP).

Removing some of the unit size creap into the inifinite at least.

Overall, and overtime, I suspect  creep will be introduced as per normal - after all The sigmarines are basically 5 man sets at 30 squids a hit, after the starter box - so 6 pounds each for large plastic not marine.

Which is cheap compared to 20 squids for  character models - current pricing.

The startbox is definitely cheaper troop wise than both the above.

But this will soon no doubt be reflected by other miniature troop types - and fully expect Sigmar's mortal followers to be similarly priced and packed - 5 for 30, and those of course will be suitably human in size compared to the sigmarines.

I understand that materials don't greatly affect the cost - size not strickly being relevant in that, but to the eye of the gamer - tiny men for that price compared to BIG men, well we all know size apparently matters.

Yes overall the start set here is good value, as always as its meant to draw players in. It will continue to be, but future limited edition box sets ( GW have outlined before that plan for 40k - short term  availability sets, regularly replaced by new ones - no reason not to do the same with  AoS). Expect those sets to more accurately reflect normal GW pricing.

There's already another set thats going for 120 squids (GBP) so basically 6 squids each. So.

As always relatively speaking the start boxes are good value compared to others.

Its the constant gradual creep that is not. Regardless the hobby overall of course is not a cheap one as such.

Bearing in mind the expected price creep, I am not overly tempted, and I already have enough other spacemarines. I just can't help seeing them as just that - alternative spacemarines.

I have my other armies, and still might be tempted to grab it just to add it to the collection of Boxed sets, but I don't see me expanding that army much directly from GW - ebay seconds eventually maybe, but thats about it.

Still - you are correct - its the cheap starter set from GW.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3417 on: July 13, 2015, 07:18:18 PM »
The older plastic DE warriors are a bit funky, on par with high elf spears and bows I think, but I'm fairly impressed with the latest dreadspear/dreadsword/darkshard set. Same as most of the current DE line. Depends if all the WFB refugees dump them for cheap or do the old ebay thing of declaring them OOP and rare.

Y'know what, whenever GW makes a boneheaded move, plenty of people talk about selling their armies; but to be honest I've never really noticed a corresponding jump in ebay listings, cheap or expensive. Especially now, when I'm really looking and waiting. :? DE players, at least, are hanging onto their dreadspears.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3418 on: July 13, 2015, 08:42:57 PM »
Y'know what, whenever GW makes a boneheaded move, plenty of people talk about selling their armies; but to be honest I've never really noticed a corresponding jump in ebay listings, cheap or expensive. Especially now, when I'm really looking and waiting. :? DE players, at least, are hanging onto their dreadspears.

Agreed.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3419 on: July 13, 2015, 09:29:17 PM »
I guess in the end, if you like it enough to pay the asking price, then it isn't too expensive.  :)