Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 05:13:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696042
  • Total Topics: 118736
  • Online Today: 393
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best Bug Hunt Rules?  (Read 2421 times)

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
Best Bug Hunt Rules?
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:23:08 PM »
What are people's thoughts on the best rules set for stalking around corridors with a squad of colonial marines and blasting bugs?

Offline BigB

• Librarian
    • The Ocala Garrison
Re: Best Bug Hunt Rules?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 01:28:28 PM »
Space Hulk for a quick game, but Blasters and Bulkheads if you want a bit more detail

Offline General

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »
Two Hour Wargames 5150 Star Army http://www.twohourwargames.com/5150stararmy.html

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 06:52:03 PM »
Bugs have rights too stop hunting them.

Yes Space Hulk which has been re-released, it is worth finding the Space Hulk Bible which is a free fan based book full of additional rules and things to kill bugs - contains many more troop types etc.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:44:15 PM by Golgotha »

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 07:21:18 PM »
I quite like the Aliens board game rules myself. Easy enough to find online and mod for the tabletop, I would have thought.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 07:25:41 PM »
Ganesha games does a ruleset called Swachers or some-such. It was made for Khurasan miniatures "space demons" And human counterparts. Strangely enough the rules appear to be written for larger areas as it suggests using CD's as unit bases. Still if the ganesha activation system appeals to you it might be worth checking out.

I have a hard time believing that the above is all there is out there in any case. I'm sure some talented rules writer did his own "Space hulk but better" Game???
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 10:36:54 PM »
There is also Forlorn Hope, from Victory point game. It's a boardgame, but it would be easy to convert for miniature gaming.

I had this project in the past, but I'm still waiting for a (very) cheap way to build half hundred bugs in 15mm or bigger  lol

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 12:24:14 AM »
FUBAR are deffo worth a look, and they're free... http://thegamesshed.wordpress.com/2010/06/17/fubar-one-page-sfmodern-rules/
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 01:51:21 PM by 6milPhil »

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 01:41:22 AM »
I think a boardgame with miniatures is a better approach than most miniatures rules. The boardgames that were designed specifically for this type of scenario, such as Aliens, Space Hulk or the upcoming Aliens vs. Predator game will have greater atmosphere and a system optimized for corridor stalking experience.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 04:12:16 PM »
There are several broad "rules" for this type of game.  The biggest is this - the more players on the marines side, the more backstabbing, dropping your mates in it, running away and sheer cowardice/selfishness you're likely to see.  I don't need to tell you how much this adds to gameplay  :D

I'm with you n815e - lots of good boardgames out there.  Level 7: Omega Protocol is worth a look.  It's a Privateer Press boardgame (with minis) for dungeon crawlin' bug hunts, but it has some interesting features.

It's a co-operative game pitting one or more marine players against an "evil overlord" player.  The good guys use Adrenaline Points to perform actions.  One of the features of the game is that the player who controls the monsters also gets to use any adrenaline points spent by the marines.  They can use those for a range of actions, or build them up for an extra special effect or group of monsters.  There's a ton of options there, limited by the scenario.

So the more the marines do, the harder the lair fights back.  Do the marine players go in fast and hard, or try to use a bit of brains and do things quiet-like, using skills and avoiding trouble?

As well as the different types of marine (each with their own special abilities that affect the game), there's a ton of equipment options for the good guys to make the game more interesting.

The old Aliens boardgame was great - I believe the components are all available for download on Boardgamegeek.  Go for the advanced rules - ammo tracking isn't difficult, but it does make things nasty for the marines.

And yeah, Space Hulk!

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 05:06:56 PM »
Mel Ebbles (Christopher Roe)  created a game called Guncrawl. It's available for free at the Genet Models site.
I have it, but I must admit I never tried it...
IIRC it was quite popular with the people who were active on the Ebbles Forum back then...
per aspera ad astra