Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 03:26:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694262
  • Total Topics: 118594
  • Online Today: 637
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: I need SCW opposition!  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Londoncopper

• Scientist
I need SCW opposition!
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
I have 30 odd figure force of 28mm Brigadistas from Empress all painted and ready to go, I now need their opponents, can anyone suggest a faction?
I am tempted by the Legion but would this limit my actions to the drive on Madrid?

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: I need SCW opposition!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 07:25:21 AM »
I'm in a similar boat. Arlequin makes some nice suggestions on my SCW Project thread

Or you could look at the IB's main actions. The British Brigade for example were at Madrid, Jarama, Teruel, Brunette, Aragon Front, Ebro ...

Most of the references i've found in their battles are to the Legion and Moors but more usually just simply "Fascists"

Interestingly "The British in Spain [William Rust]" makes reference to all five Brigades helping rout Mussolini's Blackshirts at Guadalajara. I think it depends how specific you want to be and how much of a contrast you want in the look of your games

I've settled on my Attlee Co fighting La Legion and Moros

Hope that helps

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:07:25 AM by H.M.Stanley »
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Londoncopper

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 07:54:47 PM »
That is a good thread! Legion and Moors it is then, time to read Frank Thomas's book again methinks.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 09:43:20 PM »
Always been keen on the Abe Lincs. Just like the British Battalion their commanders had personalities and their campaigns just as rough. Where else can you have the George Washington Battalion and the Abraham Lincoln Battalion together. Although short lived as battalions in name it makes for an interesting collection.

Three books I recommend from my library:

Another Hill by Milton Wolf,

Death in the Olive Groves by Arthur Landis, and

American Commander in Spain (Robert Hale Merriman and the Abraham Lincoln Brigade) by Marion Merriman and Warren Lerude.

There are a number more, but the top three are my favourite.

Cheers,

Helen

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 09:59:33 PM »
A small number of the Abraham Lincoln Battalion originally wore 'Doughboy' surplus uniforms, but with the sidecap, not the 'smokey' hat. I'm not sure how long they lasted in combat and there were only so many uniforms available, most being used for publicity shots.

Interestingly... the LB have the distinction of being the first unit to contain white Americans, but led by a black American - Oliver Law, who led the battalion for a time. Considering the actual US Armed forces themselves weren't even desegregated until 1948, that's quite something imo.  

:)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:08:52 PM by Arlequín »

Offline Londoncopper

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 11:10:18 PM »
I remember that Bandera made a 20mm Oliver Law figure!

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »
... the first unit to contain white Americans, but led by a black American - Oliver Law, who led the battalion for a time. Considering the actual US Armed forces themselves weren't even desegregated until 1948, that's quite something imo.  

Quite. Fascinating stuff which I'd not heard of.

In one of Whiting's books he makes mention of a large fight in London during ww2 between black GIs and Brit troops on one side and white GIs on the other, the former objecting to the latters behaviour towards the black soldiers. Always meant to research it further.

Back on topic... can you recommend a book on this Law chap?

Offline benglish

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 07:57:21 PM »

In one of Whiting's books he makes mention of a large fight in London during ww2 between black GIs and Brit troops on one side and white GIs on the other, the former objecting to the latters behaviour towards the black soldiers. Always meant to research it further.

Back on topic... can you recommend a book on this Law chap?

Not sure about Law specifically, but check out MISSISSIPPI TO MADRID by James Yates, a black Lincoln Brigade vet.  Great reading.  Available on Amazon and Advanced Book Exchange (ABEBooks.com).

http://www.amazon.com/Mississippi-Madrid-American-Abraham-Lincoln/dp/0940880202

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius

Offline DanimalKingdom

• Student
    • Inch-High & Terrified
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 12:52:38 AM »
Going back to the initial question, interestingly I'm faced with the opposite dilemma. I've gone for a generic Nationalist army force. They can represent troops on any front, and I'm going to get a single squad of Requetes to back them up.

As for my Republican opposition, I simply have to get some brigaders. I've just read too much about them. They're all heroes and I can't wait to field (or fight) them on the tabletop.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 04:01:12 PM »
Out of interest, what figures did you use for the Nationalists?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 08:34:14 PM »

Actually that's a cause attributed to the Battle of Brisbane as well, where Australian servicemen battled their compatriots. There had been recent rioting by white US troops against their black bretheren. Of course there were other more immediate issues like difference in pay, possession of wartime luxuries, etc etc.

My wife's father served in Italy with the Brazilian FEB, which in turn formed part of the US V Army. The Brazilian component was not racially segregated, in stark contrast the the US component.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo