Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:21:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Red Russia  (Read 1336 times)

Offline clyde85

• Assistant
Red Russia
« on: April 25, 2017, 02:19:36 PM »
A friend of mine just picked up this game about the Russian civil war, and it is a lot of fun. It does a pretty good job of recreating the chaos and factionalism of the RCW, and is fairly simple to understand. I'd say it's a must have for fans of this period who also love board games. I can also see a lot of potential for the map and rules to be used in forming a campaign system for dedicated hardcore tabletop gamers. It's called Red Russia and is available on ebay, I'd strongly recommend picking it up.

p.s. the potential for expansion and modding is great

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25665/red-russia

Offline Father Primus

• Librarian
Re: Red Russia
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 08:38:19 AM »
We played it twice in ye olde times, with 4 players.
Can't say, that I like this game, despite having a good playing time.

It has some good and interesting ideas, but IMHO, has much more drawbacks. My TOP-3 if I remember it correctly (a lot of time passed):

- Game is heavily disbalanced. Despite some actual advantages, red player cannot win against 3 white players.
- Cards system seems interesting at first, because it covers lots of historical events, but in fact it's dull and also broken (all cards are generally re-shuffled and used again). Much more simple and card-less system of random events in GMT "Reds" is much better for me.
- Absolutely ahistorical ratings of field commanders - authors decided to ignore this part of work, it seems. For example, one of the best eastern white commanders - Kappel - is rated as worst one of his faction, and the best one of siberian faction is Kolchak himself, despite the fact he never commanded in the field (and hardly had any skills to do so).