Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:33:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Where could I obtain...a suitable 28mm Conquistador leader/general?  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
I obtained many years ago the Foundry El Dorado set of Spanish.  Lovely figures being Copplestone but they seem to be just Swordsmen and Arquebusiers apart from the command and an artillery piece.  

Thinking about converting some to crossbowmen and others to halberdiers - don't think they used pikes in the Americas.

Where can I obtain these weapons at reasonable cost?  Preferably loose weapons, but could include attached arms if they are compatible with the Copplestone sculpts.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:46:32 PM by Orctrader »

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:57:22 PM by Comsquare »

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
Monday Knight Productions sells a sprue of 25mm Conquistador weapons that includes 5 each of swords, shields and halbards. They also make a crossbowman. His crossbow is a separate piece, but isn't listed for any weapon pack. You might ask MKP about that. The MKP Conq's are compatible in size and sculpting style with Foundry El Dorado figures:

http://mondayknight.com/Miniature%20Pages/GoldandFeathers/Conquistadors.htm

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
TAG would be my choice too. It is also worth looking at the Eureka Conquistadors and TAG ranges who fit pretty well with the copplestone conquistadors too

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia

Offline cdm

• Scientist
Pikes were used in the new world in the traditional conquest period :) Plenty of evidence for it. If the evidence 'feels' wrong to you, use long spears instead.

The armoury returns for the fortresses in the new world are still in existence for the pre conquest of Mexico period, and include pikes in the returns. Near contemporary illustrations and text descriptions of the conquest of Mexico includes pikes. I have no problems with them being used in wargame armies for this period. No idea about subsequent conquest periods further south, some expert on that era will chime in I'm sure. I have no doubt post conquest fortress returns still exist, I just can't access them. My guess is they would support the use of pikes well beyond this period.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks.   :)

More choices than I thought.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Not entirely sure if they'd fit what you want, but the fireforge foot sergeants plastic kit has both crossbows and halberds if I remember right, and a decent number of them. You might be able to find someone who has extras to trade some since the kit has a lot more weapon options than minis...

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Pikes were used in the Americas. Furbisher, Drake,  Releigh used them in their shore parties. Probably not the large pike blocks you're used to seeing but enough to block a street, the Osprey 'Elizabethan sea Dogs' is pretty good at giving a good picture. Though it seems they prefer the halfpike and halberd.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Also Games Workshop Pirazos lost legion and there was another unit of crossbowmen that had a few miniatures suitable.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks.  I've gone for the TAG as first option.

Now, what are my options for a General, preferably on horseback?

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
Now, what are my options for a General, preferably on horseback?
And dismounted?

https://www.timelineminiatures.co.uk/store/product-details.php?page=border-reivers&product=28mm-border-reivers-br20-the-general

Some say they're on the big side, but I happily mix them with Foundry's Seadogs and Swashbucklers, though I don't know how they scale against Foundry's conquistadors.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Re: Where could I obtain...a suitable 28mm Conquistador leader/general?
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 09:50:40 PM »
Try foundry casting room site.
In their renaissance ranges there are some mounted miniatures that might suit.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 09:53:24 PM »
Try foundry casting room site.
In their renaissance ranges there are some mounted miniatures that might suit.
I was just looking through them too:

https://www.castingroomminiatures.com/collections/renaissance/products/condottiere-2

There's also a pack of crossbowmen there.

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 10:10:06 PM »
I think the Eureaka mounted Conquistadors are all lancers. Monday Knight Productions has a mounted Conquistador who's waving a sword and shouting, very suitable for a commander.

I have a hankering for the Hell Dorado Mercenaries Don Quixote figure, if you can find one. It's been OOP for a while. I'd replace the horse:

http://www.meeplemart.com/store/p/11302-Hell-Dorado-Mercenaries-Don-Quixote.aspx