Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:08:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690654
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Coat D'arms black  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Doug.Sundseth

• Student
Re: Coat D'arms black
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 10:28:06 PM »
Interesting. I haven't found such standards and have found many places that say that such standards do not exist. Could you please point me to where I can find them?

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 10:52:12 AM »
Hi

If you have a problem with a pot of Coat D'arms paint then please let the retailer that you purchased it from know and they can contact me.  Unless you bought it direct, of course.

The paints are NOT and have NEVER been labelled as matt (apart from Matt Varnish).  CDA, Foundry and P3 are all made from the same LMP base (developed for a hobby supplier in the 1970s) and differ just in colours,  they have a very slight sheen which is reduced if you mix them with water and eliminated if you use a flat base.

Hope that helps

Mike

Coat D'arms / Black Hat Miniatures

Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 11:57:21 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. What's LMP?

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. What's LMP?
The original company it was developed for - something like Leicester Model Products...

Mike

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »
I do appreciate some matte medium would probably sort it out, but - call me old-fashioned - why should I have to faff about like that? If someone sells me a pot of paint labelled matt, flat or flat matt, that's what I expect to get. Not a semi-shiny finish. Its basically a breach of the Trades Descriptions Act. If Vallejo, GW and most 'craft' acrylic makers can manage to make their matt paints truly matt, why can't everybody?

Indeed. A long history of trial and error has left me with a rather select list of purveyors of matt paint. It takes quite a lot for an untested company to get in on that list. Reaper, Vallejo, Andrea, GW and Iron Wind have made it, I have a few pots of Humbrol acrylics to but they have issues with the medium so they sediment and cake horribly fast.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »

The paints are NOT and have NEVER been labelled as matt (apart from Matt Varnish).  CDA, Foundry and P3 are all made from the same LMP base (developed for a hobby supplier in the 1970s) and differ just in colours,  they have a very slight sheen which is reduced if you mix them with water and eliminated if you use a flat base.

Thanks Mike. And fair enough in that case. Obviously since the pots didn't specify gloss, I clearly made the mistaken assumption that they were matt.
Only because most manufacturers DO label their paints gloss / matt / satin - so my erroneous assumption was that the default position for model / hobby paints would be matt unless otherwise specified.
But it sounds like there's quite a subset of people out there who like using semi-shiny paint from CD'A, P3, Foundry etc.
Can't for the life of me imagine why, but there you go. You pays your money etc...  :)

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 05:49:40 PM »
Hi

If you have a problem with a pot of Coat D'arms paint then please let the retailer that you purchased it from know and they can contact me.  Unless you bought it direct, of course.

Hope that helps

Mike

Coat D'arms / Black Hat Miniatures

Mike

Thanks for this. I did buy them from Black Hat.