Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:21:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gonzalo Fernandez Cordoba Personal Coat of Arms for Cerignola 1503 Campaign?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Hi,

To go with my Italian Wars thread below, To Fornovo and Back Again:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=118962.msg1683629#msg1683629

I've been trying to figure out which coat of arms Gonzalo Fernandez Cordoba would have had carried for Cerignola 1503 Campaign?

So far I have several candidates, four in fact! I am tending towards using the first one (below) but thought it prudent to see if anyone who has a better understanding of Spanish Heraldry for the period could set me straight please  ???

The first three are taken from Wappenwiki:
Candidate 1
Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba
1st Duke of Santángelo, Montalto, Terranova, Andría and Sessa
Viceroy of Naples
El Gran Capitan
Younger son of Pedro Fernández de Córdoba, 4th Lord of Aguilar and Priego

Candidate 2
Alternative arms variant

Candidate 3

Alternative arms variant V.2

And this from my Apanish friend Rafa:
Candidate 4
Gonsalvo de Cordoba

Any help in figuring out just what Gonzalo Fernandez Cordoba's personal coat of arms would have been for the Cerignola 1503 campaign would be brilliant. And very much appreciated. :)

Thanks

Offline Kugelfang

• Bookworm
    • Petite Guerre
For what it's worth I have a reproduction of the sword of The Great Captain dating from 1504-1515. I'm not sure where the original is these days but I have photographs of it in a book published by the Metropolitan Museum of Art. According to the book the pommel of the sword "repeats the motifs of the bronze medals of 1504-05 commemorating the victorious campaign of Apulia...." The reverse of the pommel on my repro is most definitely your candidate No. 1.

--jeff
http://www.petiteguerre.blogspot.com

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."
    -- 'The Go-Between', Leslie P. Hartley (1895-1972)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
For what it's worth I have a reproduction of the sword of The Great Captain dating from 1504-1515. I'm not sure where the original is these days but I have photographs of it in a book published by the Metropolitan Museum of Art. According to the book the pommel of the sword "repeats the motifs of the bronze medals of 1504-05 commemorating the victorious campaign of Apulia...." The reverse of the pommel on my repro is most definitely your candidate No. 1.

--jeff

Thanks Jeff.

I've had four votes from my Spanish friends thus far:

2 for the top image for the second image but backed up with solid information about the origins of some of the heraldic motifs linking them to the dates.

1 for the bottom one (I don't think this is correct for 1503)

Going on the info I have been given thus far No 2 looks to be the most likely choice but that is obviously subject to change.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
An interesting post and a fine collection of Spanish heraldic components for those currently painting Spanish cavalry.  The doesn't seem much around to buy off the shelf.  I'm looking forward to seeing your eventual Gonzalo figure.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
An interesting post and a fine collection of Spanish heraldic components for those currently painting Spanish cavalry.  The doesn't seem much around to buy off the shelf.  I'm looking forward to seeing your eventual Gonzalo figure.

The mini's are on the way. I'm going to wait a while until I get something approaching a consensus of opinion as I really don't have enough information to make a call at this point in time.

We shall see :)

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
I can't answer your question, but the first coat of arms would be "easier" to reproduce on a model and nobody will know the difference anyway.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
I can't answer your question, but the first coat of arms would be "easier" to reproduce on a model and nobody will know the difference anyway.

I will  ;) :)

Actually. from all the people who have piped in with a bit of evidence, including some Spanish mates, No 1 seems to be the best fit so far- so, at the end of the day I've been quite lucky!