Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:38:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690743
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Jagannath's Strolling Deceased - little update 6/6/17  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Jagannath's Strolling Deceased - little update 6/6/17
« on: June 04, 2017, 08:46:42 PM »
Hiya all,

Well - I've been tempted by yet another project! I really enjoyed seeing people's Walking Dead mini's and the rules (including solo rules) really appeal to me, so I decided to buy the Woodbury solo set, the electronic rulebook, the terrain set and the walker booster which have trickled in over the past week or so. I'm hoping to bring in ideas from my Overland thread too.

Now that my entries LPL are out the way I'm going to switch up to some other projects for a wee while, so tonight I spent some time on these.

Firstly - basing decisions. I was really tempted to go with clear bases, I've really come round to them recently but they preclude magnetising, which makes them a no go for me. The plastic integral bases are slightly hollow underneath, which makes adding a magnet a bit tricky too, so I decided to try something I've wanted to do for ages that can only really be done with plastic - small, irregular bases:

I'm aware that if I want to introduce any metal minis - especially with slotta tabs - it'll be pain as I'll have to pin them, but it'll be fine!

I carved these 7 tonight out of 2mm plasticard, gave them a good going over with wet and dry paper, then drilled and glued a magnet. I'm going for the spirit of the old Gorkamorka bases - as small as possible but maintaining balance. So that the bases work on lots of surfaces I'll be painting them a mix of brown, asphalt and dead grass , like the excellent (but sadly quiet) Spacejacker paints his 15's bases:

(NOT MY MINIS - image nicked from the brilliant tinysolitarysoldiers.blogspot.com)

This should leave them versatile enough for loads of scenery

Next I'll be painting, and I think I might try army painter dip on the zombies, keeping 'em nice and simple and quick - I fancy keeping this as more of a simple gaming project than one to spend loads of time on.

Anyway, I'll slap some gesso on these 7 tonight and try and get them (and some terrain) done over the next week or so.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:36:53 PM by Jagannath »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Jagannath's Strolling Deceased
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 11:19:01 PM »
A nice start. Will follow with interest.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline tomogui

• Scientist
  • Treading softly.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 11:52:06 PM »
Those bases look great! Should make for a really interesting varied effect for the shambling Z horde.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 09:07:04 AM »
Interesting idea, my only concern would be how they affect the game mechanics as figures are assumed to be on 25mm bases.

For slottabase figures you could slightly increase the base thickness and reduce the tab height, though putting a suitable slot in the base would be a pain. The alternative would be to make a thin bottom layer and use two pieces either side of the tab.

Maybe Renedra could do spotted disc bases?

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 09:28:01 AM »
Thanks matey.

This is solely intended as a solo project, so I'm sure I can bodge any game issues. All the bases I've made fit within a 25mm radius actually (fluke!) so I could always pop a 25mm base underneath if I needed to check anything.

That's not a bad idea actually - I've had moderate success pinning metals into 2mm bases before (aided with a healthy glob of 2 part epoxy) so that's always an option too. I'm probably over worrying anyway, there's not a huge range of minis that match the Mantic ones that well, which might help to keep this a fairly small, self contained project.

Offline Uncle Bourbon

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 11:27:43 AM »
These look really good. What are the miniatures like? I haven't been able to have a good look at any of the walking dead stuff  :'(
"Some call them demons, I call them bitches"
"So tell me, comrade commissar, what does Marxism/Leninism say about the headless mutants of the northern tunnels?"

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 11:45:11 AM »
Nice - a touch big and quite caricatured - definitely 3D sculpts, but they are based on the comic. I really like them. The material is a little odd -softer than the normal grey plastic minis are made out of, closer to toy soldier material. I found removing (the admittedly very minimal) mould lines slightly tricky, but other than that, I'm into them.

Again, not certain they chime well with other ranged - they're bigger than (say) Hasslefree or Studio from the comparison pics I've seen, and they're a different style, but they are really good. I'm trying to find a few backpacks and pouches to add. If you've got a few bits of 28mm terrain already the Prelude to Woodbury set is worth picking up - you wouldn't need to add to it from there if you didn't want to.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 12:18:32 PM »
I used the Games Workshop Imperial Guard* Cadian backpacks and canteen/knife sheath and the Kroot satchels (adding a Greenstuff shoulder strap) for a few survivors. I couldn't give Liam nothing - he needed at least a kitchen knife when Carol wasn't using it. It made them look a bit more like long-term survivors instead of we-woke-up-this-morning-and-decided-the-local-pub-would-be-the-best-place-to-hole-up-while-this-thing-blows-over-like).

Also, forgot to say I like your thread title.

*I'm not using the new-fangled name for them. Also, Squats exist.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 12:57:01 PM »
Thanks - Cadian bits is probably a good shout actually. That's what I want - I want them to look a year or two into surviving (not 'post apocalypse' but not Sunday best) so a few packs would make all the difference. I'll try and dog a few Cadian bits off eBsy - thanks.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 04:31:10 PM »
The Wargames Factory/Warlord survivors have packs, other alternatives are Warlord Americans.

For the survivor that has everything look, try the British Commandoes packs.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 08:36:23 PM »
Still working out what to do about packs and equipment, so tonight I made some bases and arranged some bits I bought from TT Combat. These will serve double duty in my Cybrepunk Beat-Em-Up project too, so aren't going to be too 'apocalypsey'.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Jagannath's Strolling Deceased - little update 6/6/17
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 09:15:09 PM »
Cute teddy.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 10:29:17 PM »
+1 on the teddy.
Is that also a TT Combat bit?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 10:33:47 PM »
Aye - all that stuff is about 3/4 of one pack off accessories, they're great value.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 11:53:56 PM »
Aye - all that stuff is about 3/4 of one pack off accessories, they're great value.

Cool!
I recently found a 2 blisters of basing stuff for Malifaux' Orphanage and Morgue sets in my local store's 2nd hand basket.
very useful stuff  :D :