Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:46:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Significant Others  (Read 4935 times)

Offline Galman

• Scientist
Re: Significant Others
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 07:07:24 PM »
I would play board games with my wife, but she cheats.... >:(

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 07:24:37 PM »

I think you'll find mate, that by their own internal logic they aren't cheating, its just that the rules are stupid. I have come across this problem before.  lol

Mine doesn't paint, play or care that I enjoy it. If I'm in the loft going blind painting rank markings on inch high naval officers, then I'm not in the living room losing my rag at the vapid, artless, howling-gibbon shite that passes for television programmes these days.

And we are both quite happy with that.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 07:49:07 PM »
I'm lucky.
Met the other half at college, we were on the same course and in the same student accomodation.
First date was a trip to the local wargames club (good and cheap - evening meetings in the function room of the local rugby club, so no entry fee plus cheap beer)
Went to the Triples together (whilst still students) where she bought a 15mm Austro-Prussian War army.
We stayed together when we left college.
She paints, plays, and occasionally makes plastic models.
She doesn't play the same periods or armies as me, but she will happily paint my figures (if she likes the look of them) as my eyesight gets progressivel worse.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 09:35:45 PM »

The first time I played monopoly with my now-fiance, the game ended when she hit me with the board...

What can I say, she played competitively, I introduced her to the possibility that a game might be played for enjoyment - my mistake.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 09:55:46 PM »
Mine doesn't paint, play or care that I enjoy it. If I'm in the loft going blind painting rank markings on inch high naval officers, then I'm not in the living room losing my rag at the vapid, artless, howling-gibbon shite that passes for television programmes these days.

And we are both quite happy with that.

Absobloodylutely!  I think I watch 1 hour of TV a week, there is bugger all on that a chap wants to watch..........  How many celebrity, makeover or chef programmes do the powersthatbe think we want to watch?

But at least I have a garage to sit in.............  The loft is full of all the books I will read when I retire.............
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Galman

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 04:41:19 PM »
Yeah my in laws dont see the logic why I paint, or sometimes PC Game.  Yet, they will sit down for 4 hours a night and watch the dumbest crap on TV....oh the duality.

Offline cmsciulli

• Librarian
  • Cowgirl in training
    • http://paintedpony.wordpress.com/
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 12:57:21 AM »
My dad got me interested in war gaming when I was in highschool.  I always was interested in history, probably owing to all the History Channel, Discovery Channel. Nova, etc. specials that my Dad always had on TV, but when I watched he and his friends recreating American Civil War battles on the dining room table with all those cool figures. . . well I volunteered to help him paint his forces, esp. all the cavalry units.

I painted up a very nice Traveler, if I do say so myself!

My Dad and I sucked my BF into wargaming now, mwahahaha!

My suggestion would be to find a time period your wife enjoys and then a relatively simple rule set and ask her to play a game with you some night.
"You can't fight the desert... you have to ride with it."- Louis L'Amour

http://paintedpony.wordpress.com/

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 03:15:22 AM »

When I was learning Star Fleet Battles, my wife decided she was interested and was a regular opponent, always choosing Klingons. I never won a game. Whenever she happens to be around any of my gaming friends - thankfully, not that often - she loves telling them how I never beat her. Embarrassing.........

One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 06:21:42 AM »
I'm another one of the lucky ones. Met my wife at a Live Action Roleplaying Game. On one of our first dates, I introduced her to miniature wargaming, and she was hooked. She always picks vicious, bloodthirsty types and/or periods (Soviets, Chaos, Ironclads), and is a very capable opponent. She often gets dirty looks from other "wargaming wives" who are jealous of her spending time with their menfolk while they're off, Idunno, looking at stencils or something...

I admit I'm in the minority, but it's a good thing to have a partner who understands and appreciates one's hobbies. I'm often amused at the number of Jen's friends who are amazed that she "allows me" to do the things I do. Not sure when marriage became a matter of "permission to do certain things", but I'm glad mine isn't one of them.

(Well, I mean, within reason. There are the vows and all.;) )

-Doc

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 07:00:01 AM »
I am in that lucky minority as well - my wife has had laser surgery on her eyes, so she was never able to paint, but she play various RPGs with me (I met her at an LRPG), and she has indulged me in Necromunda and Mordheim, as well as Silent Death and Full Thrust. I am going to try her on the Sword and the Flame next, I think. Nice simple system.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."