Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:26:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691248
  • Total Topics: 118382
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave Barbarians painted  (Read 7675 times)

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Frostgrave Barbarians painted
« on: June 18, 2017, 05:28:15 PM »
Since Smith very kindly sent me a gratis box of Frostgrave plastic barbarians awhile back - and I've finally got round to painting some of them for the recent Lead Painters League - I thought the least I could do is contribute a few piccies here on the Frostgrave board...

Have to say, these are amongst the best plastic figure sets I've worked on - beautiful detail, very clean moulding, very few undercuts, bags of character and lots of components with multiple arms/weapon/head choices for customisation. Really good, and a quantum leap in sculpting quality from the first couple of Frostgrave plastic sets. They were by no means bad, but the change of sculptor is very evident indeed, and IMHO a great decision.

If I was being super-picky, the only thing I'd say is that the large areas of fur are not rendered terribly well - looking a bit more like feathers or leaves rather than shaggy animal pelts. But I suspect this may be to do with the limitations of achieving that kind of sharp, hairy detail in the plastic moulding process.
When I make some more up, I will probably give the fur cloaks and mantles some Green Stuff titivation to roughen them up a bit.
But that's a minor niggle, and overall, this is a really lovely kit. I'm looking forward to making up some more and kit-bashing them with some Perry and Fireforge medieval components to see how they work.

The giant is an old Copplestone sculpt for Grenadier (still available, and still a lovely model). If you want to see more of the giant, please hop across to page 55 of my long-running Game of Thrones thread here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=62778.810  :)

Offline FunkyBrush

• Scientist
    • FunkyBrush's Painting Blog
Re: Frostgrave Barbarians painted
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 05:30:06 PM »
Stunning as always!
http://miniatures-painting.blogspot.com/

What a fascinating modern age we live in

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 05:30:39 PM »
Superb! Really like those beardy bastards. Lovely sculpts, and even more lovely paint-jobs.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 05:31:14 PM »
Love these - they look fantastic.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 05:35:20 PM »
Wow!! Superb stuff! :)

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 08:37:06 PM »
This forum could really do with an "up vote" button.
Really nice.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 06:14:00 AM »
Fantastic.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 08:39:05 AM »
Exceedingly nice - bravo!

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 08:51:04 AM »
Wow. Those are the business!
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 09:09:57 AM »
If you could spare the time I would love to se a picture of those next to some of your other plastic models Perry/fireforge and all the rest.

I don't think I can hold myself back much longer from buying a set. But I am a bit worried about proportions. How big are the heads hands and weapons next to a perry og a Grippin Beast plastic model?

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
If you could spare the time I would love to se a picture of those next to some of your other plastic models Perry/fireforge and all the rest.

I don't think I can hold myself back much longer from buying a set. But I am a bit worried about proportions. How big are the heads hands and weapons next to a perry og a Grippin Beast plastic model?

No problem Frede  :)

Here you are. Alongside various figures kit-bashed from Fireforge, Perry, Gripping Beast and other Frostgrave parts.
As you can see, there is really no appreciable difference in scale, height or bulk.
Yes the Frostgrave barbarians are slightly fantasy style in terms of arm muscles and some of the big axes etc. But then, so, TBH are some of the FF medievals. Many of the weapons in the core FF medieval knightly sets are much more fantasy-sized and styled than realistic.
I think Osprey/North Star have been pretty restrained (or canny) with the barbarian set. There's a definite nod to fantasy styling - but they're also realistic enough in stature and detail to pass muster as 'historicals' - especially with a bit of cross-pollination with other plastic kits...

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 04:20:42 PM »
Oh bugger.

That's my last excuse for not buying them, gone.

Offline Zinkala

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 06:12:07 PM »
Great looking paint jobs. One think I really like about the Northstar minis is that they match with historical ones. Love that they aren't bloated over the top minis (looking at you GW) and I love the mix and match possibilities. I have a ton of older GW and current REaper fantasy minis but like the size and style of a lot of the historical stuff available now. Been buying more Northstar, Warlord, Fireforge and Gripping BEast. Prefer my fantasy to be more low key and realistic.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 07:34:53 PM »
Excellent Richard, I just bought some  :D

Now, after 30 odd years, I've got to try and remember how to stick plastic together. ::)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 07:39:35 PM »
 lol

I believe in you Chris...  ;)