Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:57:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689702
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: By fire and sword  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Koroni2001

• Assistant
By fire and sword
« on: June 24, 2017, 12:59:36 PM »
Hi everyone,
I've just started to base some poles and muscovites for by fire and sword rule set. Most of my minis are essex as I had these for years. Does anyone else use essex or other makes for by fire and sword? Some of their figures are great albeit perhaps for the first half of17th century.
Does anyone play the game with FOGR basing? Is that a problem?
Any advice is welcome
Cheers
Peter

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: By fire and sword
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 08:40:22 AM »
Hi everyone,
I've just started to base some poles and muscovites for by fire and sword rule set. Most of my minis are essex as I had these for years. Does anyone else use essex or other makes for by fire and sword? Some of their figures are great albeit perhaps for the first half of17th century.
Does anyone play the game with FOGR basing? Is that a problem?
Any advice is welcome
Cheers
Peter

Hi Peter

The guys at By Fire and Sword has their own range of miniatures. You can also try Totentanz Miniatures, from Spain. Both are compatible, size-wise, though not as "chunky" as Essex Miniatures. I am partial to Totentanz, but that is because I am Spanish and it is easier for me to get them than By Fire and Sword minis, which come from Poland.

I don't think that basing should be a problem. Mind that I have not played the game yet, but my impression after reading the rules is that the important thing is that your bases are consistent throughout the armies you intent to use. In BFAS Horse and Musketeers bases are 3 figures strong. I have not my books here, but I think to remember that Pikemen are also 3 strong, but if you put 4 pikes per base I don't think it would affect the game at all.

Best regards and good luck with your project

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »
Yep, the rules have a standard which generally revolves around 3 to a base for pikes, muskets, horse and then there are various which are 2 to a base, but so long as you're consistent it's no problem.

The By Fire and Sword range is extensive, but can be difficult to get hold of everything outside Poland (I'm in the UK).

The figures are that peculiar type that can be horrible to paint (not all, but some are definitely tricky) but then generally look great once painted despite the difficulty! (And that may just be my lack of skill of course!)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 12:56:51 AM »
:D Thanks very much!

I also got a thread about my By Fire and Sword project here on LA: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=97411.0

Anyway, Khurasan mnis are very pretty indeed. I only got a few 15mm Essex minis; Ancient Thebans. They look to be pretty.

Totentanz minis is Corvus Belli's former 15mm ranges and they seem to be really nice indeed.

DBA-style basing doesn't seem to be a big problem as basing is pretty much the same. BFaS minis are based on 40x20mm for infantry and 40x30 for cavalry.

I only played a little test game of BFaS and the rules look perfectly serviceable. However, if you got some earlier minis anyway (I collect 10mm Thirty Years War myself) why not give Baroque a try? :)

It's the 16th/17th century variant of the Impetus set of rules and I think they work really well. Currently my favourite set of rules for this period.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:01:02 AM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline Koroni2001

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 03:02:40 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.
I actually have the by fire and sword rule book and am basing as per their suggestions.
I was interested to know if gamers based pikes 4 to a base and light horse 2 to a base...
I have based and will texture some polish foot I have done and post some photos. They are all essex foot but look nice. If I was starting again, I would go with khurasan and legio heroica but too late for that!! :)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »
:D Thanks very much!

I also got a thread about my By Fire and Sword project here on LA: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=97411.0
Lol... I knew there was a thread here but I couldn;t find it.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 09:11:24 PM »

Totentanz minis is Corvus Belli's former 15mm ranges and they seem to be really nice indeed.

Actually, only Romans and Celts are former Corvus Belli. The rest are new sculpts, by Angel Terol, I think.

Best

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 05:20:10 PM »
Actually, only Romans and Celts are former Corvus Belli. The rest are new sculpts, by Angel Terol, I think.

Best

Oh, that's rather interesting. Thanks for the additional info!