Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:17:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689704
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 733
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (NEW) Post a picture of the last game you played! 7/01/2017+  (Read 617946 times)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: (NEW) Post a picture of the last game you played! 7/01/2017+
« Reply #615 on: April 03, 2018, 09:56:40 AM »
This Easter, I had a fun surprise, as after the extended family had cleared out after the yearly family brunch, a good friend stopped by with two boxes of Star wars Legion in tow. He had picked up a second starter box secondhand in my town, and messaged me beforehand to ask if I had time for a game.

Of course I had, and after the after-brunch mess had been taken care off (in the most general sense of the meaning in this case; time was of the essence after all) and my wife left with our little girl to go to a birthday party, I fetched a box of terrain and we set up on the now empty dining table for an introduction game.

We played through that fairly quickly; the rules are simple and fast, and anyone who has played their share of miniature games will understand them very quickly indeed. We then went on to play the first mission in the book, and upped the points level to 700, to include as many units and upgrades as possible, just to make things interesting.

Now, I'm sure we didn't play the game exactly right, but it was very enjoyable indeed. Doubly so because, in a nice change of pace for me, nearly all of my rolls were jammy as heck and I easily won both games (sorry Mark)...

After the games, I was left with two things to consider: I really liked the rules and the playing materials; I can see myself playing this game a lot in the future, but I've already invested heavily in WotC miniatures, and I have more than enough to play this game to pretty high points levels without buying a single extra mini. It's just the rules (which can be downloaded for free), the rulers and dice (which can be bought seperately) and the cards (which cannot be bought seperately) that I need.

So I'm considering looking for a copy of the game without the miniatures; I'm sure they're out there on the secondhand market.

The second thing is; my gaming table is in storage due to reasons, and we were forced to play on the dining table, which has a glass surface. So in order to have a nicer playing surface, I repurposed a comfortable plaid/blanket we keep in the livingroom, for my wife or daughter to crawl under when they're cold (which is very often apparently) when watching television.

I will never be forgiven when I (re!)claim it for my purposes, but I am planning on getting one or two cheaply for gaming purposes now; the surface was great, and with a few dustings of several appropriately coloured spray cans, I'm sure those will make for some excellent makeshift gaming surfaces during the time I won't be able to use my gaming room and table... :)

Here are some pictures from when we were just set up to play our second game. The green rebel Landspeeder is one of my WotC models, which we thought was nicer to use than just the base of his second AT-RT, as he obviously hadn't had the time to assemble and paint it before the game ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:02:51 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #616 on: April 03, 2018, 11:10:54 AM »
Lots and lots of great looking games, thanks all for posting.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #619 on: April 05, 2018, 09:10:51 AM »
Some proper Warhammer, with square bases and the right names for everything.

Report and more pics here:
http://tomstoysoldiers.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/warhammer-good-friday-massacre.html

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #620 on: April 06, 2018, 07:54:51 PM »
Day like any other for the personel of Escher underground data center

but this day stimm fuelled and drugged Mr Airbrick shown in and killed both girls and machines!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:56:56 PM by AWu »

Offline fusilierdan

• Librarian
« Reply #621 on: April 08, 2018, 01:31:09 AM »
A Gentleman's War with Prussians fighting French

And for a bit of nostalgia.

http://laststandatcairngorm.blogspot.com/2018/04/why-theres-good-beer-in-france.html

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #622 on: April 08, 2018, 03:20:25 AM »
Day like any other for the personel of Escher underground data center

Looks like a fun setup. I don't see many Necromunda games that aren't the gantry/industrial walkway zones.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #623 on: April 08, 2018, 08:46:52 AM »
TMWWBK Indian Mutiny game, yesterday.

Revolting Sepoys......

Flatpack

Offline TWD

• Mastermind

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #625 on: April 08, 2018, 01:30:56 PM »
Another game of Sharp Practice, using a fun ambush scenario from the latest issue of Wargames Illustrated:

A detailed AAR can be found here: https://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/2018/04/08/ambush-a-sharp-practice-aar/

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #626 on: April 08, 2018, 02:06:00 PM »
I've been playing in a Napoleonic campaign, and this was the major engagement of the campaign. This photo is the part where my Brits and Allies assault a French redoubt, the French armies collapse just as I storm over the gabions and the Allies win the Campaign. The rules are Black Powder.
Hands up, none of the figures or terrain are mine.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 02:08:22 PM by nicknorthstar »

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #627 on: April 08, 2018, 07:26:26 PM »
Our grandchildren and their Uncle Al are keen on playing zombie games using our modified set of Akula's Rules.  These are set in the fictional British town of Dedburgh.  In this one the SAS are searching for a scientist with some sectret documents and the police are evacuating survivors. 

Uncle Al's SAS did a quiet assault and recued the scientist and another three survivors while the police found 11 survisors but the zombies got 2 of them.

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #628 on: April 08, 2018, 07:30:51 PM »
Looks like a fun setup. I don't see many Necromunda games that aren't the gantry/industrial walkway zones.

I think it was Infinity setup, we switched only large central building for small with removable roof for a place to object of sabotage.
It works very well with any environment really.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #629 on: April 09, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »
Kislevites versus Crocodiles. The classic match-up.

Dragon Rampant at Lenton Gamers.
http://tomstoysoldiers.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/dragon-rampant-kislev-against-crocodiles.html