Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:21:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Cars, Trucks, & Motorcycles Library  (Read 16753 times)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
Re: Pulp Cars, Trucks, & Motorcycles Library
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2017, 01:14:36 AM »
I think they would cost a lot more now :(

Doug

I've just said in another thread that I will trade my 1996 BMW Z3 for my neighbour's 1966 Karmann Convertible!  :D (not very seriously... I hope!)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2017, 12:25:53 PM »
I've just said in another thread that I will trade my 1996 BMW Z3 for my neighbour's 1966 Karmann Convertible!  :D (not very seriously... I hope!)

I think I'd prefer your Z3 - I've always like those as well. I think it's nicer than the Z4. I have a model of a Z3 somewhere which is about right in scale.

Doug

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2017, 01:03:11 PM »
I think I'd prefer your Z3 - I've always like those as well. I think it's nicer than the Z4. I have a model of a Z3 somewhere which is about right in scale.

Doug

;)

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2018, 02:07:54 PM »
I got some more Days Gone at Townsville Collectables:

They've put some more old stuff out recently.
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 05:39:12 PM »
Produced from 1936 to 1941, the SS Jaguar 100:

This is a 1:43 scale model produced by Solido.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Jaguar_100
Sailors have more fun!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2018, 05:42:10 PM »
A couple vehicles painted for our Pulp Alley scenarios ---

More to come......

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2018, 06:28:50 AM »
Looking good.

They are similar to some 1:48 kits I've seen about, is that where they're from?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2018, 07:35:56 AM »
That truck is definitely a Russian GAZ kit I've seen around. It's big, a 1:43, I think.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Captain Gars

• Assistant
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2018, 10:46:52 PM »
Check out Reviresco at tin-soldier.com

Since every "Madman Bent on World Conquest" needs a suitable vehicle, I especially like the armored cars.

In 1/72 scale they offer World War One tanks and armored cars.

In 1/72 and 1/64 (28mm) scales, the offer trucks and cars.

Also, check out their paper buildings in 1/64 (28mm) scale.

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2018, 03:25:04 PM »
If I'm the last person on earth to find them then I apologise, but I haven't seen anyone using DeAgostini models, which seem pretty inexpensive on ebay, although you have to look a bit for suitable vehicles:

https://www.ebay.de/sch/Autos-LKW-Busse/180273/i.html?_from=R40&_dcat=180273&Ma%25C3%259Fstab=1%253A43&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=DeAgostini&_sop=15

Has anyone used them, and are they suitable for adaption or use in pulp games?

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2018, 04:05:04 PM »
Andy, my answer is yes. I might have one of this brand in my collection. But I think 1:43 scale is generally good for Pulp, especially with the large "heroic" 28mm figures that are so common now.

What time period interests you? DeAgostini is the only 1:43 scale brand I know of that has Soviet vehicles. If you want to set some adventures in territory controlled or supplied with vehicles by the Soviet Union, there is virtually no alternative to DeAgostini. I believe the brand produces some nice German vehicles too.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2018, 06:45:23 PM »
If I'm the last person on earth to find them then I apologise, but I haven't seen anyone using DeAgostini models, which seem pretty inexpensive on ebay, although you have to look a bit for suitable vehicles:

https://www.ebay.de/sch/Autos-LKW-Busse/180273/i.html?_from=R40&_dcat=180273&Ma%25C3%259Fstab=1%253A43&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=DeAgostini&_sop=15

Has anyone used them, and are they suitable for adaption or use in pulp games?
At one point I had several DeAgostini cars and trucks, but sold them because they seems FAR too large to me, even though I'm using 32+ mm figures (but they're on flat bases). I find 1:55 is a sweet spot for cars for me, but since very few such cars exist except in lines that sold cars in "Box scale" (i.e. the car is scaled to fit in a box, not to any particular fixed scale), I wound up collecting a hodgepodge of cars which ended up "looking right". Did get exactly what I wanted in the end though.

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2018, 08:17:41 PM »
Andy, my answer is yes. I might have one of this brand in my collection. But I think 1:43 scale is generally good for Pulp, especially with the large "heroic" 28mm figures that are so common now.

What time period interests you? DeAgostini is the only 1:43 scale brand I know of that has Soviet vehicles. If you want to set some adventures in territory controlled or supplied with vehicles by the Soviet Union, there is virtually no alternative to DeAgostini. I believe the brand produces some nice German vehicles too.

Probably a mix of 1930's -50's depending on what captures my lads interest. I have a feeling whatever the era it'll be more cops and gangsters with car chases than military: we'll be testing the Pulp rules for cars to breaking point. Maximilian 1934 may come into play as well. In this context historical accuracy will be less important because the unfortunate models will be dunked into noxious chemicals to get rid of the paint and then customised fairly heavily.

At one point I had several DeAgostini cars and trucks, but sold them because they seems FAR too large to me, even though I'm using 32+ mm figures (but they're on flat bases). I find 1:55 is a sweet spot for cars for me, but since very few such cars exist except in lines that sold cars in "Box scale" (i.e. the car is scaled to fit in a box, not to any particular fixed scale), I wound up collecting a hodgepodge of cars which ended up "looking right". Did get exactly what I wanted in the end though.

I can see that point: was the problem cars generally in 1:43 scale or that particular make? I'll be making a 1:43 scale truck with one of my lads soon so we can do a comparison with the figures we have.

I must admit having watched some of the old 'Pulp' serials from the 30's and 40's I'm a lot more relaxed about the size of private cars: from a European perspective the cars they used were massive...

Getting hold of 1:55 scale cars is hard unless you want modern German models as made by Siku. Fortunately my model railway is a modern German setting...

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2018, 09:12:09 PM »
I can see that point: was the problem cars generally in 1:43 scale or that particular make? I'll be making a 1:43 scale truck with one of my lads soon so we can do a comparison with the figures we have.

I must admit having watched some of the old 'Pulp' serials from the 30's and 40's I'm a lot more relaxed about the size of private cars: from a European perspective the cars they used were massive...

Getting hold of 1:55 scale cars is hard unless you want modern German models as made by Siku. Fortunately my model railway is a modern German setting...

It was 1:43 scale in general. The biggest factors that made it stick out for me were that my figures could not reasonably shoot over the hoods of the cars (an important consideration!) and did not look like they would be tall enough to drive them.

With tall bases, this might change a bit, but I have flat bases, so the cars needed to match the figures more closely in scale. The way I ended up working the problem out was to go with a mix of cars - some conversions (vodkafan made the wonderful discovery that Matchbox Wheels on Lledo cars works surprisingly well in some cases!), some "box scale" cars, some cars which were 1:43 or 1:48, but which were VERY small cars in real life (mostly compact Fiats & Peugeots), such that the model versions ended up looking like average cars.

Here's my motor pool:

Fleet pics.

These are all the vehicles which have been repainted/weathered/varnished/etc. and are ready for gaming. Now you can see the birdshit I put on the delivery van's roof  lol

These ones are in various states (the whippet tank doesn't need any work, but I couldn't fit it with the previous row). Some just need a little weathering (the big saloon and the red torpedo are on the large side, so I'm hedging about keeping them... the tractor is a keeper but needs a good mudding), some need a repaint (the RAF Ambulance Crossley and the Rolls Royce armoured car will be made more generic so as to be usable for many games), and one is destined for a full conversion (the second Crossley is on its way to becoming a fuel bowser... I'll probably get around to it when I eventually obtain a pumpjack or build an airfield).

The Model T was slightly changed afterwards as well, lowering the roof a tad and adding plastic to provide a real windshield.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:20:35 PM by FramFramson »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2018, 09:54:49 PM »
Good grief Matt,

That Whippet is long way from home.I knew the auto car did well in your neck of the woods (obvious when you think about it.),Didn't know that many whippets had made their way to the colonies.

I do like the tractor. Quite fancy doing another one.Probably a 3 ton civilian one as the 15ton does both. The 5 not so much.(mind you mines heading for my air field.

Having been reminded what your collection comprises of . I think the racer will fit in nicely (though the orangutan is proving troublesome  ;))

When it comes to die casts, I use a similar principle figure height first and no identical cars in a different scale.Other than that 'Ooooh Shiny I wann iiit!' Is my buying strategy

You've reminded me ,we'll have to give Vodkafan a prod. As I sent him some different wheel styles to play with,an age ago.