Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:51:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690933
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 704
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Kickstarter) Reaper Bones 4 KS under way  (Read 5400 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: (Kickstarter) Reaper Bones 4 KS under way
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 06:20:27 AM »
From my experience, I think it's a matter of acknowledging the limitations of the bendy-Bones material, and working with it in a manner that works with its characteristics when it's suitable, or avoiding it when it's not.

It's really hard to beat the value on large, or even some of the medium sized figures -- even if you have to replace some thin components (like bendy weapons, etc.)

So I've been thrilled with the frog demon, fire giantess, the big orc bodies (replaced some of the bendy weapons) and such. But when I wanted to get the jabberwock, I opted for metal because I didn't want those long thin limbs in Bones material. On the other hand, I'm looking forward to the just-received Goremaw figure, especially since it's such a big, blobby mini.

The jury is still out on human sized figures, for me.  ;)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 09:35:54 AM »
Yeah, pretty happy with most of my cherry-pickingsfrom Bones 3. Big guys can be bought safely, although that frost Giant King ( digiculpt ) really is sub-par. No detail whatsoever on the beard, looks like a cheap Poundland toy  :?.
But I doubted the design already, it's not so much the material, it should have been reworked before being released imho.
Hope the skeletal design will hold up, because that indeed is a must.
Overall I'm happy with Bones and will probably buy loads & loads more.
Leadhead

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
It sure beats paying for a large monster in resin for 10x the price. Sure the detail won't be as crisp but for me a bit more detail on huge monsters vs cheaper cost, the cost will win out every time.

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 04:52:12 PM »
In contrast to many, this is the first bones kickstarter I've had the chance to back and there is little in the core set so far that I couldn't make use of. Waiting until 2019 is a bit rich though, means I risk forgetting what's coming and buying things from other manufacturers that duplicate the bones!

Offline Neotacha

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 08:40:54 PM »
I think I'll just wait for the pig and cart to be available at the local B&M store.  There was really relatively little in that KS that spoke to me at all.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 10:36:04 PM »
Waiting until 2019 is a bit rich though, means I risk forgetting what's coming and buying things from other manufacturers that duplicate the bones!

At least they are being realistic - I only received Bones 3 models a few weeks ago, almost exactly 2 years after the KS.  But having received the stuff now, a lot of my interests have moved on from when I ordered them.

Its the big stuff that is most tempting to me, probably as it is so cheap.

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 10:43:13 PM »
But having received the stuff now, a lot of my interests have moved on from when I ordered them.
That is what worries me. But I do paint glacially slowly so worst case I will sell on anything I think I'll never paint up.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2017, 04:08:44 AM »
And then you easily make back what you paid for it.
My Bones 1 paid itself off and left me with a bunch of nice stuff. Bones 2 I picked doubles of what I wanted and sold the extras off and made a good amount back (not all though)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 04:52:33 AM »
I started to consider that, but then all of the selling & packing & such seemed like enough time & effort to cancel out any cost benefit.  o_o

Offline Kegluneq

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 02:03:07 PM »
I have backed all the bones kickstarters.  My reason for backing numbers 2, 3, and now 4 are different from the reason I initially backed kickstarter 1.

My friends have kids.  Kids are rough on miniatures.  Bones cannot be broken or even really damaged by kids.  They take paint well, and between the low cost and the durable material I don't have that moment of panic when one gets knocked off of the table.

I have nicer miniatures for me.  For raising the next generation of gamers, bones are fantastic.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 08:14:51 AM »
Preview teaser shows some larger miniatures, including the Tree of Despair from the failed CROM KS. The only add-on I've added is paints, so I'm waiting more stuff as well.

Someone posted a link to a resin frogemoth they paid $50 for. Glad I got my Reaper one for $10.

It took Reaper two years to fulfill Bones III, and Reaper said that 1.5 years to 2 years was the timeline they think they could fulfill this project.

Reaper will be selling subsets of its core miniatures (at slightly higher prices) so there's that option.

Might just check two weeks later and see what they're offering in the last week. Watch out for your wallet!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:20:22 AM by ced1106 »
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 12:01:01 AM »

Some of the mythos expansion set figures were made with a grey plastic that looked slightly harder and less rubbery than the usual Bone's material... it could be a good thing to use this plastic :D
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 10:11:28 AM »
Some of the mythos expansion set figures were made with a grey plastic that looked slightly harder and less rubbery than the usual Bone's material... it could be a good thing to use this plastic :D

This caught my eye too with the Mythos figures. Looks like they have done some product development.

Their Bones 1 and 2 were problematic for detailed humanoid models under 30mm tall. The present kickstarter has plenty of these small guys, goblins and kobolds, and I think they would do a lot better with a slightly harder medium. Still a problem with spears at least.

But that Dreadmere Expansion set, and their trolls and cave dwellers and crocodiles and beasts and such... Sooo tempted. Will likely buy in at around 1.5k. Hope the Dreadmere set keeps growing even after the third addition.

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2017, 03:08:29 PM »
I like the Dreadmere stuff and the pig pulling a cart, otherwise I'm not to fond of plastics.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2017, 04:03:49 PM »
They are being cautious (or realistic?) about delivery times: Wave 10 is now Feb 2019!

The last KS I backed, but only for the minimum amount. By the time it arrived I didn't remember anything about what it included, nor why I had backed it.