Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:10:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Making movement trays for the new "War Of The Ring" game.  (Read 3526 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Making movement trays for the new "War Of The Ring" game.
« on: March 28, 2009, 05:29:17 PM »
Now, I know GW will be selling these in plastic [at the usual attractive prices  lol ] and I know it's fairly simple to make them out of wood, plastic etc, but I'd like to make some in card. I've seen trays here which I like a lot:

http://onemonk.com/Trays.html

and they look easy enough to make, but they are in the wrong size for the rules. These need to house 8 figures in two ranks for infantry or two cavalry in line. I need to know if it's easy to convert the existing 5x2 trays on the above site to the correct 4x2 size using a simple graphics programme. I like the colours used on OneMonk's trays, so I'd like to keep them if possible.

I've gone for card because they are quick, cheap and easy to build. All of these factors are necessary, because I have the feeling I'll need a lot of movement trays.

I am hopeless at computer graphics editing, so any help would be greatly appreciated  :)

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
Re: Making movement trays for the new "War Of The Ring" game.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 05:35:52 PM »
Would it not be much easier to print out a 5x2 tray, then snip 20% off of one end? (making it 4x2...)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 08:23:52 PM »
Would it not be much easier to print out a 5x2 tray, then snip 20% off of one end? (making it 4x2...)

I thought of doing that, but it's the foldy-up bits around the edges that retain the figures on the tray that might cause the problem. It's hard to explain, but it is more obvious if you see the instruction sheet.

Offline crisis_core

• Student
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 03:19:15 PM »
You may want to check out this article over on TLA. It's for cavalry bases but you just have to modify it a bit for infantry.

http://www.thelastalliance.com/index.php?pid=disparticle&catid=3&subid=23&artilceid=3705

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 08:09:11 PM »
You may want to check out this article over on TLA. It's for cavalry bases but you just have to modify it a bit for infantry.

http://www.thelastalliance.com/index.php?pid=disparticle&catid=3&subid=23&artilceid=3705

Thanks, that's an interesting article and the finished item looks great, but the trouble is, the potential for personal disaster with all those sharp things makes it too risky for me.

I may resort to trying that, but only if my card idea doesn't work. Time, funds and modelling skill are all rare commodities here - and I value my fingers too much  lol

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 08:17:25 PM »
Which one do you want editing?

I dont want to spend time doing the wrong one :)
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 07:52:40 AM »
Which one do you want editing?

I dont want to spend time doing the wrong one :)

Svennn,

The base sizes for foot are 25mm, 8 figures in 2 ranks 4. The nearest one is the 25mm 5x2.

The cavalry are bases are 50mm, in twos. The nearest I can find on the site is the 25x50mm figure base size with 5x2 figures on it.

Thanks very much for the offer of help. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will appreciate this  :D

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 11:00:09 PM »
Not to nitpick, (oh who am I kidding?) but the GW tray's are actually the cheapest movement trays for the game. :)
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 08:53:07 AM »
Not to nitpick, (oh who am I kidding?) but the GW tray's are actually the cheapest movement trays for the game. :)

Very true, they are surprisingly cheap by GW standards.  :o

The problem is the sheer number that will be needed to play a large game and after all, the whole point is to play with as many figures as possible, after being limited to relatively small numbers with the original LOTR rules.

At £2.45 GBP to base six cavalry figures, it would cost me about £18.00 to base all my Rohirrim, let alone Warg riders, Gondoreans etc. Add to that the far more numerous infantry figures that need basing and you can see it would be a considerable investment. Things are slightly better with the infantry, as you get to base 24 figures for £2.45. Then there is the added cost of paint and flock. Again, it might seem insignificant, but with the number needed it would all add to the burden - and mean less to be spent on the toys themselves. Lastly, the  time factor. It takes me far longer to prime, paint and flock models than it does to make card constructs. I recently made a whole card African village in the time it would take to paint and flock bases for 40 tribesmen :(

One other minus point is that they are designed to work specifically with GW's slottas, but the card versions are generic so I can use them with any other rules system or period where the figures are on 25mm bases - round or square.