Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:09:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689608
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gypsy Caravan  (Read 8823 times)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Gypsy Caravan
« on: February 16, 2007, 04:07:13 AM »
Anybody have this gypsy caravan from Old Glory?

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GH%2D48

The caravan, along with the gypsy figures, probably has potential for a swashbuckling scenario.  I'm tempted to buy it, even without a use for it. :love:

Warren
Sailors have more fun!

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 06:21:14 AM »
i have it and after two years can't seem to get it assembled - lack of time, no fault with figure.

i bought it on a whim - and some repressed memories of my grandmother's warnings to behave "or the gypsies may grab you!"  unacceptable comment in this "modern" age, but it stuck enough for me to try and squeeze the figure into any game i needed: Mordheim, a Vampire game, even the Wild West.

that and the handsom cab from the same range seemed useful in many games.
\"I drank WHAT!?!\" - Socrates

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 06:42:53 AM »
Quote from: "zbyshko"
my grandmother's warnings to behave "or the gypsies may grab you!"

Seems like grandmothers around the world are everywhere telling the same things...  :roll:
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 08:27:52 AM »
Mine is painted  :)  Its a nice piece along with the gypsy figures from the WestWind Gothic Horro line. I have a nice group of Romany Travellers for my Horror games. Although as previously suggested they haven't been much use on the gaming table, just a bit of decoration!
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 08:29:56 AM »
Quote from: "warrenbruhn"
Anybody have this gypsy caravan from Old Glory?

yep, but still unpainted  :(

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 11:07:18 AM »
same here.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 12:43:19 PM »
I thought I was the last kid in the world whose grandmother threatened to sell him to the gypsies. And then the other day I threatened to sell my son to the gypsies. So at least one more generation will be scarred by that.

Looks like a neat kit.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 12:45:38 PM »
My mother had heated disputes whenever she heard her mother tell us stuff like that (me growing up in a "liberal" family environment with my Grandmother being of the "Hitler did some good things, too" faction).

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 12:59:32 PM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
My mother had heated disputes whenever she heard her mother tell us stuff like that (me growing up in a "liberal" family environment with my Grandmother being of the "Hitler did some good things, too" faction).

Oh. Sorry if I was being impolite. :oops:  I don't think we even have gypsies in the US, so it was sort of an absurd threat.

So anyway, Gypsies. I like the Westwind "Gypsy Character" pack, too.

The problem with wagons is that they're very cool models, but they're kind of limited in use on the table. The ideal solution is to have someone else paint the wagon and bring it to the game.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 01:09:25 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
I don't think we even have gypsies in the US, so it was sort of an absurd threat.

We do. They actually travel in old BMWs now. When I worked hotel security in Florida we had one group that came in every year. Lots of stories about that.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 01:23:55 PM »
"The ideal solution is to have someone else paint the wagon"

I would get Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood to paint your wagon if I were you.

Unfortunately, there would be plenty of people in my part of the world who would vote for Nazi-style policies regarding Gypsies if a candidate chose to stand on such a platform. They are still seen as a problem by many people.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 01:42:21 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"

Oh. Sorry if I was being impolite. :oops:  I don't think we even have gypsies in the US, so it was sort of an absurd threat.

So anyway, Gypsies. I like the Westwind "Gypsy Character" pack, too.

The problem with wagons is that they're very cool models, but they're kind of limited in use on the table. The ideal solution is to have someone else paint the wagon and bring it to the game.

For god´s sake, don´t worry! I, personally, draw a line between being polite and being politically correct, but I was certainly struck by the absurdity of the story (especially since you don´t see many Gypsies any more here in Germany). I wouldn´t want to tell such stories or make any racially stereotypical jokes apart from the usual German Sauerkraut Efficiency and the well-meaning if indifferent American. ;)

Yesterday, I got chastised for using the term "Neger" to denominate a mini´s skintone without ANY slur intended, only to hear that the term per se is considered racist... damn my Romanophilia!

Edit: Wasn´t there a bunch of Gypsies in the original Dracula novel, acting as villainous henchmen to the Count himself?

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 01:57:42 PM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"

I wouldn´t want to tell such stories or make any racially stereotypical jokes apart from the usual German Sauerkraut Efficiency and the well-meaning if indifferent American. ;)

:) Excellent! I will resume my lovable American indifference to the world around me.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 02:55:33 PM »
Quote "Wasn´t there a bunch of Gypsies in the original Dracula novel, acting as villainous henchmen to the Count himself?"

If my memory serves me correctly they were Szganzy. Employed by the Count to guard his resting form en route to London and the return journey. :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 06:19:39 PM »
Quote from: "Malamute"

If my memory serves me correctly they were Szganzy. Employed by the Count to guard his resting form en route to London and the return journey. :)

Szgany - being the slav word becoming 'Zigeuner' in German, and 'Sigøjner' in Danish - both meaning - you've guessed it - 'Gypsy'
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84