Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:28:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689617
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: He Died Old... Pontus in 15mm  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
He Died Old... Pontus in 15mm
« on: August 23, 2017, 11:13:38 AM »
Here is the start of my Pontic army. I was busting my butt to get as much painting done before the move and was working on these at the same time as my Gallo-Romans. The army is not completely painted and this will be an on-going post with many updates as I get units painted. The bulk of the army is made up of an Old Glory 15's starter army and a Forged in Battle Early Ponitc starter army with some Xyston and Essex command figures thrown in.

The composition and size of the army conforms (mostly) with the Field of Glory maxima in the army lists.

The thing with the Pontic army is that there are really no extant descriptions of what they looked like. So I took the inevitable artistic liberties and interpreted the information we do have the best I could. Invaluable was Thion's Le Soldat Lagide. Although I neither speak nor read that magnificent language of French, the computer generated illustrations of Ptolemy's Successor army quickly became my main painting guide. I use a lot of blues, maroons, whites, wine-stain, purples, roses and magentas in my pallet for this army. Just seems right to me, being a (mostly) littoral country on the Black Sea as well as heavily Persian influenced.

My pallet for skin tones varies greatly just as the Pontic army was by no means ethnically homogenous. For point of reference I used my own experience from vacations in Side, southern Turkey and Crete. For paints I used Foundry skin tones: Near Eastern and Mediterranean Flesh for Anatolians, Syrians, Persians and Greeks; African Flesh for Nubians; North African Flesh for, well, North Africans as well as some Anatolians and Iberians; and Basic Flesh for Celts, Sarmatians, Scythians, and Bastarnae/Thracians.

I am trying to use Greek mythological symbology that also overlaps into Persian mythology on my shields. For instance, we are familiar with Pegasus being a Greek mythological creature but, known as Pegaz in Persian, was also important to them as well. Pegaz was also Mithradates' personal symbol. For my early army units, the symbology will be more Hellenistic because Mith was really big on propaganda and in the early years was courting the fickle Hellenistic city-states of Anatolia to turn on the Roman occupiers. After the first Mithradatic War, he gave up on them and turned to his Persian background (famously climbing the mountain to light the fire honouring Zeus-Stratios like the Persian kings of old.) So imitation legionaries will have dual Greek/Persian gods on their shields, for instance (Hercules, Mithras, Zeus Stratios, etc.)

Μιθραδάτης

The command stand with old Mith himself in the center on the white horse. His banner (a 28mm Gripping Beast cavalry Vexilla on a .05mm wire) is a combination of his profile (with Elvis chops) attested to on ancient Pontic coinage and the lion's headdress found on the bust from the Musée du Louvre. Although he is helmeted, Mith was known for wearing a simple blue and white headband, so that's reflected on the headband around the gold enamelled helmet. His skin tone is Foundry's Near Eastern Flesh but I used only the light tone as his complexion supposedly "glowed pale" due to the arsenic in his blood. He is holding a a gold and maroon sceptre. There is a famous illustration on the google machine of Mithras handing Mithradates the sceptre of kingship, so this figure really is perfect for Mithradates.

The Pontic army banner is the Pontic comet over a sickle moon, which is also attested to on the back face of ancient Pontic coinage.

His general's shield design was taken from, ahem, Total War's Rome II. It's a white lion-sphinx on a deep maroon field. But I liked the design and lacking anything definitive for shield designs, I thought it would work for a general from Colchis or Sinope. Note the Persian trousers and leopard skin on the horse.

I like to put the commander's name on the command bases for some additional personality. Here is Mithradates in ancient Greek, written in stone, so to speak. (Mithridates, was the preferred Latin spelling.)

I. Infantry

The Krakens of Trapezos (Chalybes, Χάλυβες)

Yes, another shield design taken from Rome II ::). This time a white kraken on a teal blue field. These guys are basic spearmen using the Black Sea Spearmen models from FiB.

Bastarnae Mercenaries

This unit is mainly composed of raw and natural dark woollens with some deep reds mixed in.

Brazen Shields (Chalkaspides / Χαλκάσπιδες)

Here is my famous Brazen shields. These are FiB Asiatic Phalangites. Note to anyone contemplating ordering a Pontic starter army from FiB: You get regular Macedonian phalangites with greaves in the army, so if you wish to have trousers, make sure you make a special request with your order. The question of whether Pontic phalangites had greaves or trousers is up in the air, but there is an ancient (ahem) thread over at TMP with three pages or so of debate on the subject. I went with trousers because I lean that way in the debate and also to set them apart from other successors if I decide, for instance, to build a Seleucid army in the far future.

This is the FoG maxima of twelve bases to a unit. Like others have said on the boards, I like to have my phalanxes look like phalanxes: a sea of sarissas in close order. This formation works with Field of Glory and Impetus but I will have to reduce them to three ranks for something like LadG.

The sarissas have a joinder made of 2mm masking tape. I'm not sure how well that turned out since the tape tends to peel and I've tried going over them with white glue and trimming the excess.

The movement trays are homemade based off an idea I got from Bacchus 6mm. The fronts are deep to protect the sarissas during transportation in the box and also to protect somebody else's Romans when they're placed base-to-base. I'd hate to have someone's paint job scratched from the metal points.  The trays have magnetic sheeting on the bottom (and they didn't move in they magnetic boxes during our move to Weimar) as well as where the bases themselves sit.

Had I gotten a hold of the Connolly book before I based them, I would have put the command in the rear rank as a supernumerary position. Unfortunately they were already based with forward leaning sarrissas in the front ranks. So all of my Pontic phalanxes will be based this way for consistency. However, in the slave phalanx below, extra FiB figures are used as junior officers on the ends of the front ranks, which, according to Connolly, seem to be leadership positions in the phalanx.

Freed Slave Phalanx

This unit is particular to Mithradates' army of the First Pontic War. Mithradates, in order to make his less-than-reliable Anatolian-Hellenistic allies just as guilty as he, carried out one of the most remarkably secret intelligence operations in history: no leaks! The Asian Vespers was the night when Mith coordinated the massacre of every Roman citizen and Latin speaker: men, women and children, in sacred temples or not. Slaves, who did not give up and renounce their Roman masters were not spared.

The ones who renounced their masters were freed and many men were formed into a phalangite unit. They may not have been very well trained but they fought hard as their lives literally depended on it. Ex-slaves were crucified by the Romans.

I can no longer recall who makes these figures, but they were advertised as "poorly-equipped phalangites." They were perfect for the slave unit. The shields are perhaps a bit large but that just gave more real estate to paint on. Since they had no unit history, their shields are just painted with the Pontic comet and sickle moon. Sarrissas are plain wood instead of decorated and they are wearing dull and natural woollen tunics. The junior officers on the ends of the ranks are extra FiB phalangites as I would assume that the slave unit, no matter how hastily thrown together, would have to have some experienced officers.

Note the standard. I used the ancient Greek word, in capital letters, for "body":  sōma – used in the context of emancipation. It was the perfect answer to painting a banner that is so short (Xyston.)

This is the most heterogenous unit of the army when it comes to skin tones as I figured that the slaves would have come from all over the Mediterranean and Europe where the Romans had already conquered.

Phalanx

And here they are together. There is only one more phalanx to paint, the White Shields as they were usually regimented together with Brazen Shields in the Successor armies

II. Cavalry

Mith had cavalry... lot's of cavalry! So here is a start.

The Riders of the Medusa (Heavy Cavalry)

These are some of my favourites. They will be brigaded with their (yet unpainted) sister-unit, The Flames of Prometheus. The painting style was taken from an illustration of a very finely painted shield of some god in Osprey's   The Army of Alexander the Great., I just changed it to a medusa head (based on a fresco and a brooch combined together) with writhing snakes and open mouths.

Sarmartian Mercenary Heavy Cavalry

Disappointed in myself with these guys. I had primed this unit with AP Plate Mail, inked and dry brushed the horses, based and flocked them... then remembered that I wanted to paint many of the horses with bone and leather armour as well. Too late. They're not bad, just not as diverse as I originally planned (and then forgot :-[)

Scythian Mercenary Horse Archers

I may have to retake pictures of these guys and a few others. I went into detail with Scythian patterns on the clothes and horse blankets but it seems the morning sun shadows them.

III. Scythed Chariots

Who doesn't like scythed chariots? These were fun. I got bored with typical mono-color plumes. Then I remembered from our vacation in Side, that there were free-roaming peacocks all over the hotel grounds. Peacock plumes seemed to be eastern/Anatolian/Persian enough to try on scythed chariots. Again, the morning sun, the spots in the top middle are hard to see, but this is the best I could do on 15mm.

I was reading somewhere, that the ancients liked to have teams of stallions of the same color. So I have two teams of white and two teams of black.

IV. Camp and Baggage

Except for the extra Kraken figure I had, this is all Baueda. I had been waiting for the Hellenistic Camp to come out and I finally emailed Claudio about the projected release date. He replied that it was being released later that day, in fact. I ordered as soon as the product was listed and probably got one of the first ones.

It's a nice camp, fit to FoG standard. The stakes are not straight but natural branches as supposedly it was easier for the pikemen to carry them along with their sarrissas, according to the description on Baueda. There are gaps between the gate doors and wall because the gate is removable. It's attached with two pins to pin-holes in the base. When removed, as stand of infantry will fit in the gateway.

The standard is another 28mm GB vexillium and the tent, vases, and field kitchen are also Baueda. The wild pig on the spit turned out nice. I used salmon-rose to paint it, then dry-brushed in burnt black, and finally coated with a red clear-coat to give the shiny effect of the juices running out. Mmmm, now I'm getting hungry. I could eat a whole wild pig!

Sources

Brzezinski, R. & M. Mielczarek. The Sarmartians: 600 BC - AD 450. Osprey Men-at-Arms 373, 2002.

Cernenko, E.V. The Sythians: 700-300 BC. Osprey Men-at-Arms 137, 1983.

Connolly, Peter. Greece and Rome at War. Pen & Sword, 2016

Duggen, Alfred. He Died Old. Peter Davies Limited, 1974.

Matyszak, Philip. Mithradates the Great: Rome's Indomitable Enemy. Pen & Sword, 2015.

Mayor, Adrienne. The Poison King: Rome's Deadliest Enemy. Princeton University Press, 2010.

Plutarch. Fall of the Roman Republic. Penguin Classics, 2005.

Sekunda, Nick. The Army of Alexander the Great. Osprey Men-at-Arms 148, 1984.

Thion, Stéphane. Le Soldat Lagide: de Ptolémée Ier Sôter à Cléopȃtre. Tenues du Passé. (no date given)

Webber, Christopher. The Thracians: 700 BC - AD 46. Osprey Men-at-Arms 360, 2008.

Wilcox, Peter. Rome's Enemies (3): Parthians & Sassanid Persians. Osprey Men-at-Arms 175, 2008

Hope you like.

And, as always, suggestions as well as criticism are always welcome :)

You go to war with the figures you have, not the figures you wish you had!

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
Re: He Died Old... Pontus in 15mm
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »
Fantastic looking army for the last true defender of the Hellenistic world. Very impressed!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 05:41:34 PM »
Great job there matey... very impressive!

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 12:13:42 AM »
A lot of love and care has gone into those, and it shows.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Youngster

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 12:52:52 AM »
Superb!

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 02:43:36 AM »
Wow! Nice looking army  :)
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 05:47:57 AM »
Thanks guys, glad you liked them.

Offline Larry R

• Bookworm
    • 7 Pillars of Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 03:52:59 PM »
Great job, fantastic write up and also thanks for the sources. How did you find the multiple manufacturers go together?

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 06:52:04 AM »
You have a fantastic army there. I also like the way you did them - sometimes people, like the movies, tend to ignore colour and creativity and tend to portray armies of that time nearly looking the same with a high amount of drab colours. But you didn't - and I absolutely like the kraken imagery on your shields! :-*

Well done!!

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 08:46:10 AM »
@Larry
How did you find the multiple manufacturers go together?

Well, that took some thought. I'm really impressed with 15mm Forged in Battle figures. They are very detailed, dynamic, and have a nice variation of poses. That also means they need a bit more attention while painting, which of course takes a bit longer.

Old Glory, as Madaxeman has pointed out, are great, solid figures for building an army. Not so great in their variety of poses nor are they particularly detailed by today's standards. But they are detailed enough and an "old stand-by" if you know what I mean. And they're easier and quicker to paint up and get onto the tabletop. Not to mention that the price is right.

I think that if I were to get into Enlightenment and/or Napoleonic era armies, I would certainly consider OG15s as I would think that one would want the uniformity of poses in those armies.

For my imitation legionaries, I eventually decided to go with FiB Seleucid "Romanised" armoured infantry instead of the OG15s because they were more dynamic and detailed, enough to remind one of legionaries but "Hellenised" enough as to not confuse the two. So that left me with a bunch of OG15 imitation legionary figures who found a home with my Galatians, as I thought they fit better in that army for a variety of reasons.

Xyston was the big concern. Their figures are hit-and-miss and it's always a risk as to whether you get a good 15mm or an 18mm figure. It depends on the range. These worked out well size-wise but my Galatian javelin men, for instance, are a bit larger more on the 18mm end of the scale.

The Essex worked out  and blended well. The freed-slaves, if you look at the picture again, are a wee-bit smaller than their FiB officers but their shields are larger so I think that helps to balance and blend in the sizes. I'm just not sure if those shields are accurate for phalangite shields but, as my tag-line says, you go to war with the figures you have and not the figures you wish you had. These were the only suitable figures for freed-slaves that I could find.

@Corvo. Thanks, my friend, I'm glad you liked the colour palette and the Krakens. I would think Hellenic armies were colourful due to their exposure in the East, and Pontus contains a lot of heavy Persian influence. So, except for the freed slaves and Bastarnae, I wanted to reflect that and not paint another army with just drab or red tunics. I think that when I update with more units I'll retake some of these pictures as the bright morning sun created dark shadows which obscured a lot of the detail, particularly on the Scythians and my heavy cavalry.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 06:48:51 PM »
Very well researched, beautiful collection  :-*
And you had much of inspiration during their making! Congrats!
Thanks for sharing!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 05:19:12 AM »
Thanks Din for the kind words,

Yes, this army took a bit of reading for me to feel right or satisfied with how they are composed and how they look. It's not like Marian Romans where a couple of Osprey books will do the trick. There's hardly any information about how the Pontic were composed and how they looked, so it takes a bit of digging and some educated guessing.

Glad you liked them, there will be more coming, but this is a long-term project with a few units here and there in updates.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 05:20:17 AM »
Superb looking army, you should be proud of your work it is great!!! :)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 06:46:58 AM »
Thanks Din for the kind words,

... so it takes a bit of digging and some educated guessing...

This includes studying the history of the contemporary neighboring people/kingdoms.
Up to now, I think that your are doing very, very well, you've got the feeling of the period! Congratulations