Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:07:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wargame that I'm making (including sculpts, castings, ect., not just rules)  (Read 2975 times)

Offline SageMiniatures

• Assistant
As the topic states, I'm making a wargame that I'll hopefully be able to produce the first release of by the end of this year.
It is a Strategy Skirmish Game, and the miniatures have a lot more options towards what they can do during a game then your average wargame.
The scale is 32mm, I'm still debating on whether to use resin or white metal to cast them with (feedback on which you would prefer would be highly appreciated).
The storyline of the game is this:
It is the year 1912, (two years before WW1). There's a portal from another world that monsters have been escaping out of, into our world. Until around five hundred years ago the monsters were breeding and spreading across the world, until their portal was discovered by The Guardians (I'll probably change the name). The Guardians watched over the portal, and nearly succeeded in slaying every monster that wandered through. The rest of the monsters that had been spreading were hunted down and killed. However, as time passed and wars demanded that less troops be spared for the guarding of the portal (most of the troops they received were only from the Russians by this time). And so The Guardians had become more like a secret society then an armed force, having to rely upon volunteers, Russian woodsmen that they have made deals with and sometimes even having to resort to recruiting somewhat domesticated monsters and press ganging people into joining. As their numbers began to dwindle so the Monsters swelled again, the different species forming packs and learning how to survive together in order to defend themselves from The Guardians.
At 'present time' (1912) The Guardians have had to split the border of the island (north of the Russian wastelands) that the monsters are held captive in into many segments, each group guarding one segment, so that the monsters aren't able to escape to the other countries. The monsters have been all but forgotten by the outside world, on the verge of being viewed as nothing by folk lore. The Guardians encourage this by hunting down and killing anyone who finds their way to the island (besides the Russian who are somewhat cut off from others and have hardly any contact with the outside world).

For the first release there will be two sides: The Guardians and 'the monsters'.

Offline Mainly28s

• Scientist
  • Granddad, 28/8/1944
    • The 28mm review site
Sounds interesting, but stick to an established scale- 28mm. Don't try to go into a new scale, or you may well lose a number of potential customers before you even get out of the starting blocks.
Olaf Meys
admin at Mainly28s.com
also known as le Comte du Flandre and Immelmann

http://mainly28s.com

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
Sounds interesting, but stick to an established scale- 28mm. Don't try to go into a new scale, or you may well lose a number of potential customers before you even get out of the starting blocks.

Have to agree with this - stick with the scale that has alot of buyers - wargamers will be happier also with figures that can be used alongside their existing ones.

Otherwise, sounds promising. Best of luck.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Have to agree with the 28mm suggestion rather than 32mm.

If you're thinking of another name perhaps something like "Templars", hints at the medieval origin and also has that connotation of something quasi-religious/occult/"Dan Brown"ist, or perhaps something like "Watchmen" although that has a comic superhero feel to it. "Wardens" or "warders" might be another option. Maybe, with the Russian setting you should opt for a Russian name ?

Other than that, sounds interesting.
Do you need any playtesters ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Please consider metal over resin and yes, stick to known scale.

Seeing some exchanges of views of this issue with resin over metal with other manufactures and whilst it may not be an issue for some folks it can be overall for others who like their metals.

Just my thoughts, nevertheless, the concept sounds great.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline SageMiniatures

• Assistant
Do you need any playtesters ?

Yes, playtesters would be greatly appreciated, I'm not quite done with the basic rules yet, but when they are, I'll send you a message and hopefully I'll be able to attach a document with the rules.

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
Don't listen to them about scale. Just make the figures to whatever you need and just call it 28mm. Practically everyone does it. :) Perception is way more important than accuracy when it comes to scale. Just look at the comments here.

I don't know about your situation, but we're talking to someone who can make us resin figures for less than half the metal costs. You don't need to make your retail prices half of whatever you were thinking in metal, but it's definitely an option if you know someone who can do it well.
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
I'm with Wolfgang on scale. Wyrd Miniatures received endless hassle because they (correctly) stated their figures were 32mm and people started whining that they wouldn't 'fit' with their existing stuff etc etc. Of course, if you put a Wyrd figure next to any other fantasy range they match and in some cases are quite a bit smaller.