Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:35:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 521
Total: 526

Recent

Author Topic: Zombies!!! boardgame  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Terrible Tim

• Scientist
    • The Wargamer
Zombies!!! boardgame
« on: April 04, 2009, 02:39:00 AM »
Has anyone played any of the Zombies!!! boardgame series by Twilight Creations? They have made heaps of variations. What are they like (game play, quality etc)? I have downloaded the free rules from their site and it seems to be a great game (and simple which is also a bonus  :D ).

Thanks in advance,
TT.

(I could not find any topics about the actual game use the search. There were a few comments about the Bag O Zombies etc.)

...Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen....

Blog: www.the-wargamer.com

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Re: Zombies!!! boardgame
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 02:51:00 AM »
Tim -

Our group has tried them and wasn't terribly impressed. The mechanics are pretty simple, almost too simple (they get boring really quick), and it essentially evolves into a "Conga Line of Death" type game. I think that "Last Night on Earth" is a far better Zombie board game, if you're in the market for one.

-Doc

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 04:19:23 AM »
I had the game for awhile and was dissapointed . I'd agree that it was too simple and maybe a bit predictable. It was'nt the barrel of laughs that I was expecting . I sold it at a bring and buy for about half price.

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 05:48:37 AM »
I agree with Dan and the Doc. The first couple of plays are a bit fun because of the strong embrace of the theme, then things get kind of old because there just aren't enough different things to do. Every game ends up in a lengthy boring dice-slog. I would not recommend it.

-Curry
Check out The Screaming Alpha http://thescreamingalpha.com for the best in miniature and RPG reviews, guaranteed! [Not a guarantee]

Offline Lazarus Long

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 07:13:17 AM »
I totally disagree with th eabove comments. This game ist called a "no-Brainer" and so it is: really simple, not much of tactics but easy to learn and fast to play.

This ist a funny "family-game" (depends on your family - we play it really often with our adult son and his friend). We've tried nearly all - the circus and woods are more or less stand alone games. The others fit very well with the standart game and add some more tiles and cards and gimmicks - didn't tried the 6 feet unde but seems really importend becuase of the long ways at the end of the game.   

If you want to play a fast in between game with a nice theme and a goog feeling (it's sometimes really like those zombie-films) it is the right thing. If you want a bit more tactics and less of luck - try another.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 08:07:27 AM »
I have it & several exspantions. It is a beer & pretzles kind of game. Not one to take too serious. Usually quit before anyone actually wins as we just keep piling zombies on who ever is ahead. It's simple & fun and has some great scenerio ideas. But there are better rules for miniatures. 
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 10:00:23 AM »
It takes too long to play for what it is.
The basic game is ok for a few plays but I feel I wasted my money on the expansions, my advice is don't buy the expansions until after your third or fourth game, by then the excitement and 'need for completeness because this game is great' will have worn off.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 11:47:14 AM »
Agree with much of what has been said.

The Basic game is alright for a post-wargame, few beers with the mates type of game.

Despite my evident zombie addiction, i've not felt compelled to go and buy any of the expansions.

Offline Terrible Tim

• Scientist
    • The Wargamer
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 12:24:16 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Everyone has pretty much has the same oppinion it appears. I will not be buying it then. Thanks for comments, you have saved me Aus$50. I might have to look into the Last Night on Earth. Are there any other good zombie boardgames?

TT.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 04:59:41 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Everyone has pretty much has the same oppinion it appears. I will not be buying it then. Thanks for comments, you have saved me Aus$50. I might have to look into the Last Night on Earth. Are there any other good zombie boardgames?

TT.

If you've already got minis , then Zombie Plague is quite fun, can be downloaded for free from fortress figures. I'm thinking of doing a Winchester Tavern version.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 07:07:43 PM »
...I love this game (zombies!!!, that is). It's dead simple, and devolves into a competitive 'screw your neighbour' battle of viciousness...

Humans!!! was a laugh too, getting a chance to chase hapless humans around the board with a zombified wrestler...

Zombietown was fun, running round fortifying buildings to defend against the ever-growing zombie horde, then screwing over the other players... there's something about zombie board games that seems to make us ultra-competitive...

Offline The Rock

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 12:33:28 PM »
Tim -

Our group has tried them and wasn't terribly impressed. The mechanics are pretty simple, almost too simple (they get boring really quick), and it essentially evolves into a "Conga Line of Death" type game. I think that "Last Night on Earth" is a far better Zombie board game, if you're in the market for one.

-Doc

Last Night on Earth is the best!!  :-*