Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:43:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690843
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Other rule sets for Warmachine/Hordes models.  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Other rule sets for Warmachine/Hordes models.
« on: October 01, 2017, 07:31:10 AM »
Hey all I was just wondering if anyone out there plays or knows of any other good rule sets that could sort of work for using my collection of Warmachine and Hordes models as at this point they're just gathering dust.

Its not that I have a problem with the main game it would just be fun to play some form of simpler skirmish level rules to use with or without Warcaster models and not have to have my brain melted when playing a game or two after work.

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
Re: Other rule sets for Warmachine/Hordes models.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 08:41:02 AM »
I intend to use my few Khador figures for In Her Majesty's Name but the new Warmachine Company of Iron small scale rules may suit.
John

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 09:39:31 AM »
Dragon Rampant would probably work quite nicely. Greater and Lesser Warbeasts etc Room for units and combining your leader into a unit.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 02:02:28 PM »
This is a good one.  Let's see:

Dragon Rampant has already been mentioned, but you can fit the figs into all sorts of skirmish and small-army fantasy rules.  Song of Blades & Heroes springs to mind, and you could fit them into the 5150 rules sets with some effort.  I remember discussion about stats for the Ares rules from Majestic 12 but that was years ago, maybe even pre-Hordes.  Armies of Arcana might work too - Privateer armies would tend to have low model counts but high quality compared to the more normal AoA lists.

The 'jack side of things ought to work in any VSF game (IHMN was mentioned) as well as various pulp adventure rules (.45, for ex).  The hordes range is super useful for all sorts of fantasy and horror RPGs, as are the Cryx and Cephalyx minis (who doesn't love mechanical undead and mad science?).  And you could easily adapt the Goalsystem rules (Supersystem is probably best) for them.  GS is built around small skirmish fights full of models with weird powers and small squads of scut troops who die like flies - it's practically perfect for WarmaHordes ports, and has a robust and versatile design-a-fig (or squad) system built right in.

Kudos to you for looking for more uses for the Privateer figs.  I've always considered it a shame that they don't see wider usage outside their parent rules. 

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 03:28:35 PM »
Rogue Planet is a fantastic ruleset and it seems pretty perfect for this - when I was shopping for minis to play Rogue Planet Warmachibe were high on the list.

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 11:18:59 PM »
Wow! Thanks guys some of these rule sets I've thought of others I've never even heard of, I'd better go put all these into Google and find out more  :D. I knew this would be the right place to ask!

Offline Steelwraith

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 05:18:40 PM »
I've seriously kicked about the thought of doing an Age of Sigmar conversion. All one needs to do is figure up Wounds for 'Jacks and ranges on the weapons.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 09:31:40 PM »
I'd second Jagannath on Rogue Planet and Hobby Services on Song of Blades. Rogue Planet is made for larger-than-life monsters and machines that can pick other models up and chuck them about.

Song of Blades has the useful Tough trait, which is used for unusually big or powerful characters. There's a slight difference between the basic and advanced systems here. The basic version might actually be better for big constructs and the like, as it has Tough characters degrade as they take wounds - becoming harder to control.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 10:01:14 PM »
Here's another one - Privateer is coming out with a smaller skirmish scale version of their game engine called Company of Iron.  Teaser video over here:

This sounds very, very promising to me.  Your models should be mostly compatible right off the bat, the mechanics are familiar but revamped enough to add the expected greater level of detail, and the whole thing sounds more scenario driven and less gamey in general.  Pretty much Iron Kingdoms Mordheim/Kill Team, which is such an obviously brilliant idea I don't know why it took so long for them to come out with it.   :)

The smallish model counts involved should make it a good gateway game for non-Privateer players too.  So expect them to be growing their end of the hobby again and soon.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 10:30:43 PM »
Here's another one - Privateer is coming out with a smaller skirmish scale version of their game engine called Company of Iron.  Teaser video over here:

This sounds very, very promising to me.  Your models should be mostly compatible right off the bat, the mechanics are familiar but revamped enough to add the expected greater level of detail, and the whole thing sounds more scenario driven and less gamey in general.  Pretty much Iron Kingdoms Mordheim/Kill Team, which is such an obviously brilliant idea I don't know why it took so long for them to come out with it.   :)

The smallish model counts involved should make it a good gateway game for non-Privateer players too.  So expect them to be growing their end of the hobby again and soon.

From what i understand it will have no jacks or warcasters in it so depending on what you have and wantto use you may struggle.

Id cast my vote for dragon rampant. you can run your jacks as single model units and they become very fearsome tanks and your warcasters can be wizards that buff them.

I played a game of dragon rampant against someone running an army made of 3 models, two warjacks and a caster. IT was brutal trying to grind them down with wave after wave of orcs but a very fun game.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 10:59:17 PM »
From what i understand it will have no jacks or warcasters in it so depending on what you have and wantto use you may struggle.

Company of Iron has no casters or warlocks ("no models with focus or fury manipulatiom") but the video explicitly talks about a jack marshal/beast handler upgrade for your commander that would let you get jacks or beasts on the table.  A shame if you own a bunch of casters, but I suppose they'll work in Dragon Rampant - or as CoI proxies for other models.