Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:41:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Testo's Dullcote Spray - need some firsthand experience.  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Testo's Dullcote Spray - need some firsthand experience.
« on: October 10, 2017, 03:54:42 PM »
Hiya folks,

I'm tentatively starting on a little arctic/snow planet project, so there's lots and lots of white in my future!

I'm a big Testor's Dullcote spray user - I like to slather on the gloss (Vallejo Polyurethene FTW!) and I've never found a matte varnish that gets near Testor's... BUT - My painting style is mostly on the 'warm' end of the spectrum, and almost all my basing and terrain is desert so I don't really notice any slight yellow hue. Is Testor's at all 'yellow'? Looking at some of my minis with white on them:

it doesn't look to me as though it does effect colour, but with such warm minis and basing it's hard to know for sure i think.

Anyone ever sprayed it specifically over a load of white stuff - any colour shift? I don't want to do a whole pile of bits and end up with yellow snow! Firsthand experience ideally if poss - the whole internet's full of second and third nonsense about all matte varnishes!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: Testo's Dullcote Spray - need some firsthand experience.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 11:07:42 PM »
I've never noticed it leaving a yellow effect on things. It might be that i am also pusing warm tones and not seeing it, But i've put it on white 15mm stuff and white scenery and never had an issue.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 08:01:19 AM »
I've used up my only cherished can of the stuff years ago (near impossible to get around here and no air mailing cans either), but none of the minis I've covered with it seems even the slightest yellowed, even after almost a decade.

It's still my favorite matt varnish, but due to above reasons, I've since switched to Armypainter Matt Varnish and brush on Vallejo Matt Varnish. I've used up one can of GW Matt Sealer (or whatever it's called) without issue, but I've heard so many horror stories, I'm reluctant to buy it again.

I still strongly prefer spray on varnish myself, because when brushing it on over a gloss coat, I always seem to miss spots and I have to touch up missed spots for ages every time... ::) But with no Dullcote at hand, I am not risking it, and I'm using brush on varnish instead.

But back to your question; I've not seen any yellowing on any varnish I've used, ever! So based on my own experience, I'd say you're good to go...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 08:08:30 AM »
Excellent - thanks both.

Daeothar - I dread that day. I went a bit daft and bought 8 cans a while ago so I'm ok for a while, but the time will come :/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:11:19 AM »
I used Testors dulcoat sprayon for several years but then they went and dog gone changed the formula and the result was not the same. MAybe they have changed it again?

Anyway, I abandonned using sprayon after trying several brands but finding the result eratically succesful. I now use a cheap brush on matte varnish. All in all I dont find it less efficient and the result always comes out perfectly matte just where I want it.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 09:19:36 AM »
I used Testors dulcoat sprayon for several years but then they went and dog gone changed the formula and the result was not the same. MAybe they have changed it again?

Same here. Used to swear by it, but then they went and changed it, I think due to health concerns. It was never the same after, unless as you say they changed it back again.

I don't seem to have much luck with sprays, and always end up with areas that are glossy. I keep a pot of Testor's brush-on to touch up these areas that rebel against my authority in such a way.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 09:48:15 AM »

After years of hearing people gush about Dullcote spray I bought some to try and make varnishing a larger model quicker and easier. Tried it out on some who gives a damn old models and got a great matt finish but on every model that really counted it came out a touch shiny.  :? I know how inconsistent it always sounded even from those who swore by it but I had hoped it would have been better. Three cans gathering dust now.

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 10:06:00 AM »
No practical experience, but I just want to say what an amazingly beautiful painting you have done there. I particularly like the helmeted 'greys'.  Really excellent work.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 10:39:16 AM »
After years of hearing people gush about Dullcote spray I bought some to try and make varnishing a larger model quicker and easier. Tried it out on some who gives a damn old models and got a great matt finish but on every model that really counted it came out a touch shiny.  :? I know how inconsistent it always sounded even from those who swore by it but I had hoped it would have been better. Three cans gathering dust now.

See, this baffles me - the only thing I'd say is I shake the cans for about 3 minutes (longer than it sounds when you've got weedy arms!) and spray from quite close, 20cm or so. I'm also lucky in that we have a 'spare' en suite that I deck out as a spray booth so the temperature etc. is consistent. I've honestly never had anything less than absolutely stellar results with it though. Is it the blue label can?

No practical experience, but I just want to say what an amazingly beautiful painting you have done there. I particularly like the helmeted 'greys'.  Really excellent work.

An thank you very much. The aliens are one of the best things I've painted I think - sometimes a super limited palette seems to work really well.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 10:42:05 AM »
Ooh - another thing I've noticed is that it can take a little while to dry, longer than you might expect and those wet patches can still look glossy for a time. You absolutely mustn't be tempted to give it a second spray until that first layer is totally dry, that can lead to glossiness.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 11:11:07 AM »
See, this baffles me - the only thing I'd say is I shake the cans for about 3 minutes (longer than it sounds when you've got weedy arms!) and spray from quite close, 20cm or so. I'm also lucky in that we have a 'spare' en suite that I deck out as a spray booth so the temperature etc. is consistent. I've honestly never had anything less than absolutely stellar results with it though. Is it the blue label can?

An thank you very much. The aliens are one of the best things I've painted I think - sometimes a super limited palette seems to work really well.

Yeah, blue label can. Is that the new shite version?

Shook it longer than I've ever shaken a can of anything, not too cold out, not too hot. Plenty of drying time between coats too. I've seen many posts where people have used the stuff and it's come out glossy but they reckon a second spraying matts it down perfectly. No, not in this case. I should have known better given how inconsistent the stuff appears to have been over the years but my usual brush on stuff was acting up oddly and I was getting desperate.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 12:22:05 PM »
How odd. I even think the one that people think is crap (EU friendly formula) is brill. No idea.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 12:46:54 PM »
I use only Testors and have never had a problem except a few years back, where I think they relabelled the old satin finish version as Dullcote, for reasons unknown (perhaps as alluded to, for health concerns), so obviously it wasn't the same matt finish. But the stuff I have now is fine, back to its best, so I assume it's been changed back again. What I have found with it is that you need to spray from about 12in or so away. I tried spraying from further back, because I thought it would give a more matt finish, but actually I then realised the opposite was true. I give it two light sprays from 12in away and I'm very happy with the results.

I've tried three or four different types over the years, but I always have issues with the bigger cans with clogged nozzles or propellant failures, so I end up chucking away the can with some left in it. Plus the results aren't as good.

Last I heard, Great Escape Games had bought in a big batch of Testors Dullcote, but they may have sold out now.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter