Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:05:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690530
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Boots and Saddles - BLAM Report  (Read 32515 times)

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Boots and Saddles - Plains Wars in 28mm
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 11:39:32 PM »
I would have a different take on this. You said that you wanted your game to be more Hollywood in tone.
This would be quite different what happened during the Indian Wars. In reality, battles in the Indian Wars
were few and far between. They also were affairs where few people died (excluding a few little Little Big Horn).
Almost all the fighting were skirmishes that did not last long and left one or two people killed and a coupled
wounded at most. Not really what war game rules usually represent. We want mass slaughter.

Thus, I have always found that trying to war game these wars based on reality is very hard and not all that accurate.
So, I say do it Hollywood style. Base your games and rules off of the movies ect. Add that sense of daring do and
save the last bullet for yourself type stuff. Likely will make for a more enjoyable game.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 02:25:28 AM »
Yep, gets my vote. If yer doing Hollywood you can't have The Dook getting pinned down... and how, in hell, do you 'suppress' Captain Nathan Brittles, Sergeant Major Quinncanon and 'Captain' Tyree!!!???

:-*
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 02:29:49 AM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 10:35:53 AM »

lol lol lol lol

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 02:03:40 PM »
I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Our group has been using a set of rules we developed several years ago that have been used successfully at conventions and within our own group.   My personal thoughts are that the key to the rules is the inability of the Indians to depend on their forces being what they need and when they need it.  People seem to like the affect of this on the game and on the flavor of their unique fighting style.

"Corporal Tyree, I'm ordering you to volunteer again."

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 05:56:42 PM »
I would have a different take on this. You said that you wanted your game to be more Hollywood in tone.

Thus, I have always found that trying to war game these wars based on reality is very hard and not all that accurate.
So, I say do it Hollywood style. Base your games and rules off of the movies ect. Add that sense of daring do and
save the last bullet for yourself type stuff. Likely will make for a more enjoyable game.

I agree about the style of the game.  I plan to use the rules to reflect the various styles of fighting, whilst using the terrain and the scenarios would be more Hollywood style.  I think that if a game looks good, with solid core rules that reflect the period then the scenario will help make it cinematic.

Anyone that has played one of my games will hopefully agree that catching the flavour of the movies is what I strive for.

Yep, gets my vote. If yer doing Hollywood you can't have The Dook getting pinned down... and how, in hell, do you 'suppress' Captain Nathan Brittles, Sergeant Major Quinncanon and 'Captain' Tyree!!!???

Ah but in the films you are describing Capt Nathan Brittles has his share of bad luck - Sudro's Wells for example.  So the 'hero' doesn't always have to win.  See also 'They Died With Their Boots On' for example.

I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Our group has been using a set of rules we developed several years ago that have been used successfully at conventions and within our own group.   My personal thoughts are that the key to the rules is the inability of the Indians to depend on their forces being what they need and when they need it.  People seem to like the affect of this on the game and on the flavor of their unique fighting style.

"Corporal Tyree, I'm ordering you to volunteer again."

Exactly my point about different fighting styles.  The Indians may not always do what the owning player wants them to do.  It might be a little frustrating but it means that the Indian player will have to pay attention to how his warriors are behaving and position himself correctly on the battlefield to influence them.

Conversely the Cavalry player, faced with large odds may not have to fight all the Indians to achieve his aim but being outnumbered and often having to choose between the success of his mission and keeping his men alive might not find it too easy either.

As I see it, the scenario along with character briefings (that may not all align), are the keys to a good game as long as the core rules work and the sides have an equal chance of achieveing their goals.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Boots and Saddles - First Figures
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 07:56:54 PM »
Whilst I am waiting for some cork to be delivered, I thought I would share some pictures of the first Redskins to be painted.

First up is a Medicine Man - Conquest Commanche re-purposed as a Sioux

Next a War Chief - Foundry Plains Wars

The background is from my old desert boards from my 'Follow that Camel' project.  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=72065.0

Some will be re-purposed for this project. I shall be making a start on the buttes at the weekend assuming the cork bark arrives this week.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 08:31:32 AM »
Nice stat Gary, the figured look great. ;D

Guess what I'm doing this am? Making cork buttes. lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 09:54:21 AM »

The background is from my old desert boards from my 'Follow that Camel' project.  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=72065.0

Some will be re-purposed for this project. I shall be making a start on the buttes at the weekend assuming the cork bark arrives this week.

Just finished reading 21 pages of your 'Follow that Camel' project. Awsome and inspiring stuff!!!
Waiting to see the Indians in a more general plan, showing your rocky hills in full splendour! Cheers!
[suddenly I feel an urgent need for cork bark]  :)
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 12:40:48 PM »
Yes, cork bark seems to be all the rage on LAF just now. Everyone appears to be buying the stuff, picking it up off hiking trails, scraping the right sort of tree...it has all the marks of an hobbyist pandemic!

Your first Indians look splendid, Hu Rhu. I too will follow your project with interest. Must say I salute your spirit of using classic Hollywood as your source material. I tend to do that in every period, of course, but when dealing with the Wild West it wins hands down. The Duke's films, and the atmosphere of the old Pony Wars rules set if you can find them, are a brilliant starting off point. Keep up the great work!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 09:40:58 PM »
Nice stat Gary, the figured look great. ;D

Thanks very much.  More figures to follow.

Just finished reading 21 pages of your 'Follow that Camel' project. Awsome and inspiring stuff!!!

Thanks. Hope I can bring the same inspiration to this project.

Your first Indians look splendid, Hu Rhu. I too will follow your project with interest. Must say I salute your spirit of using classic Hollywood as your source material. I tend to do that in every period, of course, but when dealing with the Wild West it wins hands down. The Duke's films, and the atmosphere of the old Pony Wars rules set if you can find them, are a brilliant starting off point. Keep up the great work!

Thanks very much.

Guess what I'm doing this am? Making cork buttes. lol

Great.  I'll show you mine if you show me yours.   :D :D

Yes, cork bark seems to be all the rage on LAF just now. Everyone appears to be buying the stuff, picking it up off hiking trails, scraping the right sort of tree...it has all the marks of an hobbyist pandemic!

[suddenly I feel an urgent need for cork bark]  :)

Cork bark arrived today so I should have the first prototype ready by the weekend.  I have a cunning plan to provide something like this:

Lets see how it turns out.  ??? ???

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 10:11:09 PM »

Looking forward to seeing how you create the iconic butte look. ;D

I’ve been making them identical to the ones I used at BLAM. No rock spires on mine.

I’ve now run out of cork. Where did you get yours from?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 11:26:46 PM »
That is a good start, mate.
Looking forward to watching the progress, especially with your buttes.
 :-* :-*

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 11:40:49 PM »
Looking forward to seeing how you create the iconic butte look. ;D

I’ve been making them identical to the ones I used at BLAM. No rock spires on mine.

Wanna buy some cork? I have several tubes  :D

Good start Gary.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 07:13:44 AM »

Ebay mostly but getting good tubes is hard (and expensive).

That is a good start, mate.
Looking forward to watching the progress, especially with your buttes.
 :-* :-*

Thanks.  How is it that I am sitting here waiting for a whole line of 'butte' jokes just waiting to made here?  :D :D

Wanna buy some cork? I have several tubes  :D

Good start Gary.

Thanks very much.

Online Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 07:03:10 PM »
Yep,following with interest,sure to be good  :)