Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:19:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690847
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Movie Marines for Necromunda - Yellow basecoat done (16/01)  (Read 3637 times)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
Re: Movie Marines for Necromunda - Size comparison (06/12)
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 10:24:52 PM »
Very nice conversion!

But any Space Marine would have its big ass kicked by a CT Republic Commando!  lol

"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline dulydude

• Bookworm
    • Dulydude's Shenanigans
Re: Movie Marines for Necromunda - Size comparison (06/12)
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 10:22:34 PM »
Keen to see any updates on this project as I want to do something similar!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Movie Marines for Necromunda - Squad (almost) finished (01/01)
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 08:11:54 PM »
Well, the holidays did bring a deserved full week off from work, but not the amount of free time I had hoped for, so I did not get as much done as I planned, but alas...

However, I did manage to get the entire combat squad ready for basing and painting though. The entire squad, minus the helmet for the Mk6 marine that is... ::)

For some reason, slightly worse for wear me, after last night's New Year's Eve celebration, managed to fumble the helmet when dry fitting it this morning, and it careened off, right into the overflowing waste basket under my desk.

I have sorted through the full contents of the bin twice, taking out the bits of trash piece by piece, but to no avail. I scoured the floor of the entire room, and checked every nook and cranny, but the damn helmet appears to have been lost to the Warp...

And all that would not have been that bad, if I would have had a spare, but this was the very last one in my bits box! I will now have to  source one, just to be able to finish this project. In the meantime, I have subsituted the modern Mk6 with a RTB01 version, of which I have plenty lying around.

The geometry of the two is rather different though, and the modern one obviously has better and nicer detail, so using the RTB01 one wil not be very likely in this case. Still; it's an option.

So; if any of you have a spare Mk6 helmet gathering dust, please PM me, and we can work something out. I'll be wanting it fast though, lest this build falters and ends up on the list of abandoned projects... ::)

Anyway, here they are :) :

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:13:26 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 08:19:06 PM »
Looking good, the last one could be nearly headless Nick lol

Hope you find it

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline dulydude

• Bookworm
    • Dulydude's Shenanigans
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 10:11:41 PM »
These look amazing mate!
Good luck with getting the replacement head too

Any ideas of what heavy weapon you might add to this squad? A heavy bolter?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 07:49:03 AM »
Yeah well, I've asked around locally, I even scoured the mini-mountain to see if I could cannibalize one, but no luck anywhere.

So now I have a good handful on my way from a bits seller. that will take a week or two, so when I'm done basing these guys, I'm going to have to dig out a stored other project to see me over till then... ::)

As for the heavy weapon; I had been thinking about that, but in the end, I went for a special weapon (the flamer) instead. Because with the overpoweredness that will be these guys, I fear anything other than the very basic armament would just be too much.

And it will be just this combat squad of five, so no additional marines either.

Still; I could take off the arms on the Mk6, to add a heavy bolter. This would, at some level, be preferable, because I didn't sculpt those chest cables for nothing you know, and the original arms pretty much cover those up.

But until the new helmets show up, I have some time to ponder on this though...

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 09:30:59 PM »
Finally; some more progress! :)

I received the Mk6 helmets almost a week ahead of schedule, which was nice.

Immediately, I cleaned up one and attached it to the 5th marine and set to basing the lot of them. I am going with a combination of corridor and wasteland aesthetics, to best represent the tangled mess that is the Underhive. Regretfully, my old desk light and phone camera do not form a good team (at all... ::) ), and all the detail is washed out of the pictures.

But trust me; it's there and will become apparent when I get to painting the bases.

For now, I have laid down three consecutive watered down washes of the old Citadel Yellow Wash (yes; from a blue hexagonal flip-top pot several decades old; it's still the best. I've done half an Imperial Fists army like this) to build up the yellow.

I set out to capture the process , documenting the yellow becoming richer and richer with each step, but again, Samsung and Ikea have conspired against me and the results are not all that obvious in the pictures.

But I went through the trouble of taking these pics, so I will show them to you regardless :D

The first layer creates a very soft yellow, the second is starting to look like it, but the third usually creates the rich, warm yellow we associate with the Imperial Fists.

Let's see if I can dig out my old digital camera again, because these pictures are just not working. at all.

But at least now we can go on to the detailing; always my favourite part of painting... :)

Offline dulydude

• Bookworm
    • Dulydude's Shenanigans
Re: Movie Marines for Necromunda - Based and painting started (15/01)
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 10:02:50 PM »
1) Stealing that painting style
2) Looks great!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 09:10:30 AM »
Looks good.

I have some of the original flesh wash. I do use it for rust, hence it's longevity.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 09:55:52 PM »
Yes; those original Citadel washes are awesome, even 25 years down the line. I can only hope that the Coat d'Arms equivalents are just as good (they're supposed to be very same product after all).

So I was able to unearth my trusty old camera, which, according to the dates on the memory card I last used in 2012. But lo and behold; the battery still held a charge and I was able to experiment to my heart's content taking pictures and uploading them, to see which setting worked best.

I'm ok with this result for now, but I know results can be loads better if I also get my picture booth and camera stand involved, but that's for another day...

I did one final watered down wash of Citadel Yellow Wash just like before (but even thinner), and used some almost straight wash on a few small areas where the covering was not consistent enough.

And this is the result:

Now I will have to touch up some areas where the wash has pooled too deeply, add some deeper shading with VGC Leather Brown, which is a good stand in for the old Citadel Snakebite Leather, and finally do some highlights with a yellow paint, thinned with white.

Only then can I move on to the detailing... ;)

Offline GeKi

• Scientist
    • miniaturebrushwork
Re: Movie Marines for Necromunda - Yellow basecoat done (16/01)
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 06:50:51 PM »
Those look totally awesome. Maybe I have to steal that idea to do some crimson fists.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Movie Marines for Necromunda - Yellow basecoat done (16/01)
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 10:44:37 PM »
Nice.