Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:05:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694510
  • Total Topics: 118611
  • Online Today: 570
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: German infantry tactics resources  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
German infantry tactics resources
« on: December 11, 2017, 12:30:46 PM »
How to play with your German 10 man squad more realistically...

Found this fantastic American training video showing German infantry tactics. May be helpful for those wishes to emulate realistic German squad. See:

If you have found similar resources it would be be great to see them mentioned here:

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
Re: German infantry tactics resources
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 07:00:21 AM »
The old Nafziger book "German Squad Tactics" is very good, mainly being translations of the relevant manuals. Despite the title, it goes up to company level and covers Armoured panzer grenadiers  as well.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 07:51:45 AM »
I don't have the book, and haven't read it, but Rommel wrote a book on the subject which might be worth checking out.

MG gunners were frequently assigned as point-man, when on patrol, with at least a couple of guys just to his rear, and/or slightly to his sides.  That way, he had a roughly 270 degree arc of fire to the front and sides.

The two guys closest to him would be assistants, carrying spare barrels, ammo, etc., and also providing flank security for him.  

The others in the squad would be behind, usually in single file, when advancing.

Can't recall where the MG'er was when advancing in line, or echelon, but suspect that could vary.

IIRC, there should be some squad formation images/diagrams on-line.  Try doing a bit of searching with Google images for that, and/or tactics.

Hope that helps.

German squad/platoon tactics were built around the MG, with virtually all the other troops being there to either to help feed the weapon, or to provide covering fire for the MG'er and his loader, unlike in many other armies.

From the middle period of the war, and certainly during the late war period, it is fairly common for a squad to have two machine guns, and not just one, even when they're down to only 6 - 8 men.

From what I've read, due to manpower shortages as time went on, the squads would rarely be in full strength, so 10 man squads would be unusual, in many, if not most cases.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 01:15:50 PM »
I have read Rommel's book based on his First World War experiences and I do recall reading somewhere that evidently Hitler read said book and this may well have accounted for him holding Rommel in high esteem - similarly Heinz Guderian's Panzer Tactics is well worth reading and given his comments about the Soviets makes one really realise the folly of operation Barbarossa and that in actuality they should have known better...

See:
https://www.amazon.com/Infantry-Attacks-Marshall-Erwin-Rommel/dp/1607963353/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1513084328&sr=1-1&keywords=erwin+rommel+infantry+tactics

https://www.amazon.com/Achtung-Panzer-Development-Armoured-Operational-Potential/dp/1854092820

Nothing like going back to primary sources...

Offline CorvetteK225

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 05:35:06 PM »
You can’t go wrong with http://www.germanmanuals.com/REmanuals.html

He has translated that which you presently seek as well as numerous other manuals which you did not know you will just as badly want!

Horrido!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:52:30 PM by CorvetteK225 »

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 07:17:26 PM »
Wasn't aware of those books.

Thanks for sharing.

Wish there was something similar for Cold War West German manuals.

Offline CorvetteK225

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 08:02:50 PM »
John Baum (translator/ business owner) is a really nice guy. I have dealt with him over the internet as welll as in person. He takes his translation work very seriously. His list of titles translated has continuously grown every year, which shows his continued passion for the work itself.

Mako,
I am right there with you in wanting some modern manuals (West and East for me!) in English translation. While my German is strong enough to understand the old Deutsche Wochenschau newsreels, I have a small sampling of original manuals, but I am slow in my reading of text.

David

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 11:37:55 PM »
Yep, you are correct.

I'm interested in both West and East German tactics and doctrine.  Would love to hear your thoughts on them, once you've had a chance to read up on them a bit.

I suspect the West German tactics will be somewhat similar, if not identical to the WWII ones, accounting for new weaponry, of course.

For WWII, here's a good website with some pages with short articles and diagrams on the subject:

http://www.dererstezug.com/CommandsTactics.htm

I was surprised to see the Squad Leader shown in the forefront in some diagrams (indian file), but on another page, in text, it mentions him as being in the center of the squad, during the advance, with the Asst. Squad Leader at or near the rear of the formation.  That's more like the other diagram I recall seeing.