Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:27:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691288
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: This War of Mine boardgame playthrough videos part 1 and 2 (of 2)  (Read 713 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
This is part 1 of my "This War of Mine: the boardgame" playthrough. The game is perfect for single play and I figured it would be nice to play it again since I have not played it since the summer.

Part 1 covers the first 3 days of the campaign, so far the experience has been rough as my starting civilians, Katia, Bruno and Roman run out of food and water very early.

I don't know yet how many parts this series will be, I will be playing until the campaign is finished or all characters end up dead. The way things are going the next couple of days will be hard on the survivors. I missed a few rules as this is only my second attempt at filming while tinkering with a boardgame , I will adress the overlooked rules in part II.

I will be recording part 2 shortly and hope to upload it within a week.

Hope you guys enjoy the video, and drop a comment if there is anything you wonder about the game and I will cover it in future parts. I have a written review for the game at my blog if you just search for "This war of mine".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=595&v=41vBAQK_NIg

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2018/01/this-war-of-mine-playthrough-video-part.html

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:32:47 PM by Anatoli »

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: This War of Mine boardgame playthrough videos part 1 and 2 (of 2)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 01:32:54 PM »

Second (and final) part of the playthrough of This War of Mine.

As food and water shortage pushed the characters to their breaking point they also craved coffee and cigarettes to keep their hopes and morale up.

After a particularly nasty night raid and out of luck attempt at finding a trader during daytime all hope was lost.

I have not played the game since the summer and had forgotten a couple of the rules and how to optimize your daily activities. I should have put more effort into building furniture and fittings for the apartment early on to at least try to mitigate the water shortage. The game is very difficult however and of all the dozens of games I've played I think we only managed to survive twice for the ceasefire ending to occur.

The game is however oddly enough not about winning, and if you go into it with that mindset it is more acceptable to play it as a gaming experience rather than something you can beat with a determined strategy that can be applied every time you play. It has a lot of luck built into it, it's how you manage your daily actions and characters that can stabilize the everyday chaos of your survivors.

The best thing you can hope for is to become self sufficient with water as soon as possible and then begin to board up your place. Regardless, it is one of my favorite board games in my collection.

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2018/01/this-war-of-mine-playthrough-video-part_21.html

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 08:46:50 AM »
Me and my mate played it during the summer holiday and everybody was dead after day 1. Turned out we did a LOT wrong lol

We tried again in September and managed to complete the game. We did rather well and a lot of epic moments. The game has so much terrific content, the theme is spot on and the choices you get are difficult and well chosen. Also one of my favorite games!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 10:13:15 PM »
Glad to hear  it Malebolgia. I'm also impressed how well they managed to adapt the PC game version to the tabletop.