Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:42:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scratchbuilt Baneblade Detailing Advice Needed  (Read 896 times)

Offline Boondock Saint

• Assistant
Scratchbuilt Baneblade Detailing Advice Needed
« on: January 27, 2018, 05:55:41 AM »
Hello all. I have been working on a scratchbuilt Baneblade on and off for about a month, and it is nearing completion. I just have to do a bit of detailing and then mate the tracks to the hull. 
The only thing stopping me from giving it a final push is that I am undecided on what to put on the top of the turret. This is supposed to be a commissars tank (so that I can use it with any of my IG armies). There is already a round hatch (not visible in this pic) and I am thinking of putting a book on a pulpit, but not sure what else to do, so any advice would be appreciated.
Note that there is a WIP thread on another forum for anyone who would be interested in seeing it, but I am not sure what the etiquette is here on LAF on linking to other forums.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Scratchbuilt Baneblade Detailing Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 08:25:49 AM »
I would agree, give it an undercoat/primer and then see what is needed. It looks great as it is.

Tony

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 09:23:18 AM »
I have to agree with honourable tinkerers .

Putting as side the GW theme.

You've reached the point make or break point in a build. When your unsure what needs adding,or not.

You should go with the Mantra.

If you doubt your way,stop spray,and walk away!

(bit flowery I know but its good practice.)

In other words . You need to unify and consolidate your build. A coat of grey undercoat works well( for most people) as both black and white undercoat can obscure detail issue until you actually start your painting.
Then you leave the model alone ,work on something else. It'll do a little mental reboot and let you come back with a fresh pair of eyes 

Right GW head back on. You don't really need to go Heath Robinson with the gothic detailing. Less is more,(plus the more you add the more there is to knock off)
Personally I'd go with a generic commandeered look concentrating on a set of interchangeable banners.Both commissars' and army specific guard banners
  The odd purity seal wouldn't go amiss either. But that's as far as I'd go. But then I'm. Not making it.

Mark.

Offline Boondock Saint

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 11:22:15 AM »
Thanks chaps, excellent advice I think. The only thing is, the final paint scheme of this beast is going to be predominantly black, with a bit of red and gold and the odd bit of white. With that in mind, I think I will spray it black and then very lightly drybush it in a grey or off-white to pick out the details and then take a look at it again.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 04:27:30 PM »
NO

Undercoat Black then choose a dark grey colour (matt or gloss) and spray from above or at an angle of 45' this will then create shadows and dark grey - being less stark will look less toy-like.

Tony

Offline Boondock Saint

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 05:53:48 AM »
Thanks Tony, I will definitely try that. I couldn't resist adding external fuel tanks before spraying, though.