Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:47:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Future of the Bazaar?  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Future of the Bazaar?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 09:58:55 AM »
It'll be fine. Northstar are not going to wring their hands at people doing a little trading of second-half stuff, I'll stake my wife's reputation on it. In fact they have been known to actively promote other (rival) ranges themselves if they think it's a nice product. It's a friendly little hobby most of the time.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 11:50:46 AM »
I'vehad some great stuff from the Bazaar over the years, I've also had some great stuff from Northstar too!

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 04:11:04 PM »
... I'll stake my wife's reputation on it.

A fine upstanding gentleman...  lol

But on topic yeah, I too doubt that our new emperor Nick will do anything to the bazaar.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 04:55:46 PM »
I'm not going to do anything with the Bazaar. Last thing on my mind. Unless the members are unhappy with the board?

We let a Frostgrave Trading Post Facebook page run alongside the Frostgrave Facebook page, similar thing, that has loads of other peoples products on it.

Cheers
Nick

Offline ork56

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 12:44:29 AM »
Northstar 'taking over' is no bad thing as support is always needed to keep forums running, so I'm cool with that. It would be an improvement to have a specific Northstar heading in the Bazaar section, so long as all the others remain the same? The only one that may worry would be the commercial one?

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 01:01:24 PM »
....... The only one that may worry would be the commercial one?.....

I agree, currently LAF is "funded" by Alex with some support from those members who have contributed. But I am pretty sure the money to keep it up and running is mostly  Alex's.
That will likely continue when Northstar take over and they will be putting up the money, time and effort for us to be here. So we will be in a situation where rival products/suppliers are being advertised and sold on a forum paid for and maintained by Northstar.

I do not see an issue with the "boot sale" type ads but commercially I think the position will need to be considered.
Does the forum need to become self funding to remain totally independent? (paid for by users, Google ads or some combination thereof), do other commercial concerns who want to promote goods/services here have to pay a levy? or something else?

As soon as people or businesses start being required to pay for something it will impact on what is seen as acceptable discussion here. If I were a manufacturer I would not be happy paying to post product promotions here only to face a wave of negative and disparaging comments (even in the tone with which such criticism is generally found here).

I don't think this is a simple "no change" handover.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 07:47:41 PM »
Well, Nick has already stated his intention to restore adverts to the site, which, fair enough. One assumes those will cut Northstar's costs.

Also a forum doesn't really have a high overhead in terms of cost. It's usually more the time spent fixing occasional backend issues, chasing away spambots, etc.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »
My reply to Robh's thoughts are North Star is not just a manufacturer. If you look down the left hand side of the North Star website you can see all the companies we have a relationship with. http://northstarfigures.com/

The figures we make are just one part of the picture. We spend most of our time distributing wargames products to retailers around the world, products from all those manufacturers listed on the site. And more. Perry Miniatures are one of our suppliers, but you can't mail order them from us. If you've ever bought a Perry Miniatures plastic box from a game shop, there's a good chance we supplied it. And there are companies we don't stock but we supply stuff to. We've lots of positive relationships through the hobby.

That's why keeping the hobby as a whole healthy and alive is important to North Star.

One big part of the hobby we have nothing to do with is our large neighbour down the road, GW. Once upon a time we were GW's distributor for Warhammer Historical, after it was dropped we had no dealings with them. But I don't want to cut out conversation about GW products. I'm more concerned they'll tell us what we can and can't say about them.

I can't promise LAF will stay the same forever, but right now our objective is to keep the forum as it is on a new server with the updated software.