Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:31:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm Lord of the Rings  (Read 3626 times)

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
6mm Lord of the Rings
« on: February 03, 2018, 02:55:03 AM »
Recently i came across some lists for Lord of the Rings forces for basic impetus, this got me thinking.... what suitable miniatures are out there for Lord of the Rings factions in 6mm?

Id love to hear what you guys have in mind for miniatures options! I've started this small list.

Gondor
- Knights: Baccus Frankish knights mid 13thC, charging

Rohan
- Peasant Levy: Baccus Fyrd Spearmen
- Peasant Archers: Baccus Anglo Saxon Archers
- Royal guard on foot: Baccus Viking armoured  spearmen

Mordor
- Orc Hordes: Baccus Goblin Hordes
- Fellbeast: Perfect Six Wyvern
- Trolls: Perfect Six trolls

Isengard
- Warg Riders: Baccus wolf riders
- Dunlendings: Baccus Celtic Infantry, Stood and Celtic Javelinmen

Harad
- Haradrim Archers: Baccus CIS15 - Sudanese Archers
- Haradrim Spears: Baccus CIS16 - Sudanese Spearmen
- Mumakil: Pendraken AI2 elephant with crew (2) OR Eureka elephant with Howdah

Creatures
- Ents: Eureka Wood Trolls

Does anyone have more ideas for additional units and other factions?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 01:51:19 AM by Dobbie71064 »

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: 6mm Lord of the Rings
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 06:41:30 PM »
You could try Irregular's 6mm Fantasy range.

This includes;

Orcs, Elves, Dwarves
Men of the West, Goblins
Evil Knights, Ents, Giant Eagles
Dark Riders, Dark Winged Riders
Mammoth with Crew among other stuff.

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 03:29:58 AM »
You could try Irregular's 6mm Fantasy range.

This includes;

Orcs, Elves, Dwarves
Men of the West, Goblins
Evil Knights, Ents, Giant Eagles
Dark Riders, Dark Winged Riders
Mammoth with Crew among other stuff.
Does anyone have any experience with Irregular fantasy models? I have done irregular ancients and I'm not real a fan of them. Poorly sculpted and tiny compared to my baccus counterparts. The lack of pictures is flusterating as well.

Has anyone come across the ever elusive Viking cavalry in 6mm? Haven't been able to locate any Viking or other dark age cavalry in 6mm. I was thinking they'd be good alternatives for Rohan riders.

Initial post has been updated with sone harad miniatures

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 03:58:30 AM »
I have not seen the Irregular fantasy miniatures, but I know their Napoleonic figures are smaller than Baccus.  There may be problems mixing different manufacturers and this may limit the types of figures available.  As much as I like 6mm as a scale, I wonder whether fantasy has more options in 10mm if you want to go for the mass effect.

I would agree with your list so far.
Norman cavalry would be appropriate for the Rohirrim.  That or armoured Gothic cavalry.
Infantry for Gondor may be a problem.  Maybe late Imperial Rome.

Possibly ancient Germans or Celts for Dunlendings.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »
For the cruder sort of troll, you could look at the 10mm ogres from Eureka (or Fighting 15s in the UK).

The armies of Mordor had some sort of unspecified horse-mounted cavalry (they ride out of Minas Morgul with the witch-king, and the hobbits hear hooves) - presumably any sort of early-medieval cavalry in black livery would do.

Oddly enough, there's no mention of warg-riders in the armies of Mordor (as opposed to those of Isengard and the orcs of the Misty Mountains). Tolkien does note somewhere that wolf-riding might have been a Sarumanic innovation (though I think it crops up in pre-Thrid Age stories too, so perhaps "reintroduction" might be more the thing).

The wyvern in the Perfect Six range might give you the basis of a Nazgul's winged steed (perhaps add a beak with greenstuff?)

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 06:26:04 PM »
There are now pictures on the irregular site on their fantasy range.

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 07:34:17 PM »
Goths horse and foot for Rohan
Norman horse and foot for Gondor

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 07:40:18 PM »
Like the Perfect Six range, not seen that before.

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 08:21:59 PM »
That's for all the replys! You guys have come up with some fantastic ideas!

As per Rohan, I think I'm leaning towards Goths vs Normans for them. I'm personally going for more of an Anglo Saxon feel VS Norman. I've been searching for 6mm Viking cav but to no luck. I might end up going with Goths instead.

Gondor is another issue for me. I do like the idea of using Norman models but the mail is the main issue with them. I'm wanting to lean closer to PJ's interpretation of the Gondorians, soldiers in plate armour with square tower shields. I did look at early imperial Roman models as a possibility but I'm not sure. What are everyone's ideas on Gondorians? Also, any suitable ranger miniatures? Also what about Gondorian feifdom miniatures? The one Gondorian list for BI has 2 bases of fiefdom heavy, 2 bases or fiefdom archers and a single feifdom skirmishing base (planned to just use spare archers).

Inlpaduta- thanks for the heads up regarding the irregular site, I'll have a look. Last time I looked they had pictures for a few skus but not many

Hobgoblin- Do you have any more info regarding these riders? Most of my Lotr knowledge is movie based. PJ had the Nazgul ride out with the witch king iirc. Thanks for the heads up regarding the Wargs. Guess I need to look up some suitable Uruk-hai models as well lol. Great call on the wyvern model! I've seen the perfect six trolls before and loved them so thanks for the link! They are a bit more warhammer then lotr but I still love the sculpts.

Ethelred the almost ready- I know there ancient miniatures are dwarfed by my baccus ancients as well. I hear what you mean regarding 10mm having more options and I completely agree. I am using these models for Basic Impetus and I want to do it in the same scale as my ancients for BI to allow for terrain and even model cross overs. Great call on the Dunlendings they'll be added to the list.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 09:22:28 PM »

Hobgoblin- Do you have any more info regarding these riders? Most of my Lotr knowledge is movie based. PJ had the Nazgul ride out with the witch king iirc. Thanks for the heads up regarding the Wargs. Guess I need to look up some suitable Uruk-hai models as well lol. Great call on the wyvern model! I've seen the perfect six trolls before and loved them so thanks for the link! They are a bit more warhammer then lotr but I still love the sculpts.

Here's the quote on the cavalry riding out of Minas Morgul:

"All that host was clad in sable.... Against... the luminous pavement of the road Frodo could see them, small black figures in rank upon rank, marching swiftly and silently, passing outwards in an endless stream. Before them went a great cavalry of horsemen..., and at their head was one greater than all the rest: a Rider, all black, save that on his hooded head he had a helm like a crown that flickered with a perilous light. Now he was drawing near the bridge below, and Frodo's staring eyes followed him, unable to wink or to withdraw...."

On the Uruk-hai (this is a hobby horse of mine .... ;)): I think Tolkien suggests very strongly that the bulk of the orcish armies of Mordor and Isengard were made up of uruks during the War of the Ring. Certainly, a straight reading of LotR would imply that all the orcs of Isengard were Uruk-hai - with the half-orcs providing an additional element. And in Mordor, the small tracker orc complains to the big uruk that "you fighters" have been making a mess of things. Mordor had had whole armies of uruks for over five centuries at that time, so it would be somewhat odd if they were just a small part of the forces at the Pelennor, etc. In that context, the detachment of small orcs that Frodo and Sam join seems to be part of an inferior reserve being shunted towards the front line for the final battle.

Here's the link for the Eureka ogres (possible trolls). The "wood trolls" in the same 10mm range might work as Ents or Huorns; as wargaming trees are generally undersized, 10mm tree-men might be about right in 6mm!

Have you looked at 'The Battle of the Fords of the Isen' in Unfinished Tales? It has a lot of detail on the forces of Isengard: uruks, half-orc axemen ("ferocious" and "mail-clad": they kill Theodred), pikemen (probably Dunlending - maybe use medieval Scots?), wolfriders, etc.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:24:44 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 10:12:58 PM »
Thanks again for the reply.

Interesting regarding the cavalry quote. Not much in the way of describing them. Black clad horsemen with mordor markings would fit the bill.

I honestly haven't read much of tolkens work. I'm a notoriously slow reader and I find some of the books a chore to read. I should try to read them one day. I've only read the Hobbit and Children of Huron, none of the lotr series.

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 12:37:01 PM »
Has anyone stumbled across a good representation for Uruks with pikes? Haven't been able to find much in the way of 6mm half orcs,  fewer with pikes.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 01:44:00 PM »
Couldn’t you just move up scale a bit to 10mm? Then you could go with the excellent Copplestone range?

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/list.php?cat=6&sub=24&page=1

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/list.php?cat=6&sub=28&page=1