Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:58:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Masters of the Universe - She-Ra added (update 01/08)  (Read 56356 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Masters of the Universe (update 7/05)
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2018, 11:41:20 AM »
That looks like e great find, very Heroquestor... ;)
 8)

I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
 :D

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2018, 09:48:26 PM »
Nice find. Considering the age of the game everything is in an incredibly good state (even the sword- the part most likely to be torn off- is only a little crumpled and bent), especially if you consider the age of the gamers this was aimed at!

That cardboard screen is great. Love how even the theeth of the upper jaw have individual colour tones.

Out of curiosity: as every hero (well, the cardboard cutout) stands on a differently coloured rock, do the rules state that each hero has to start on the tile coloured to match the rock he/ she  is standing on?
sanity is for cowards

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2018, 10:13:07 PM »
I'm so in love with everything! Everything!

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2018, 04:39:53 PM »
That old MOTU board game looks like a lot of fun! It's in very good condition considering its age. Was such a game ever released for the American/English speaking market, I wonder?

Keep us posted how things go!

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2018, 09:06:30 PM »
I don’t think it was ever released in English. I looked into a lot of MOTU boardgames, there seem to have been 4 or 5 but this one seems the closest to a miniatures game.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2018, 01:15:18 AM »
for rules, can i suggest rogue planet? It's mix of hand to hand combat and off the wall sci fi weapons, crazy terrain interaction and open actions (climbing, throwing,shoving,jumping ect) seem well suited to the MOU setting.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2018, 01:46:03 AM »
Great additions to your collection, wonderful painting. The game reminds me of the Heretige Caverns of Doom and Crypt of the Sorcerer for some reason.

Chaos on Cronos might be interesting to use with MOTU.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2018, 01:56:41 AM »
for rules, can i suggest rogue planet? It's mix of hand to hand combat and off the wall sci fi weapons, crazy terrain interaction and open actions (climbing, throwing,shoving,jumping ect) seem well suited to the MOU setting.

I was thinking of that system as well- I have it but haven't played it yet, so I didn't want to throw it out there :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2018, 10:44:23 AM »
Thanks for the comments and tips, folks!

Now for an all new faction, the first of the Anti-Eternians!

Hailing from the Antiverse, a mirror dimension in which good and evil have traded places, Anti-He-Man is the most ruthless tyrant that Anti-Eternia has ever known, and the arch-nemesis for the heroic Prince Keldor. The character was originally exclusive to a German audiobook story, though a popular character among collectors for custom action figures, given that he's a straight repaint. Eventually, his story came full circle when an official MOTU Classics figure was released by Mattel a few years ago, cementing his position in MOTU canon.

When Skeletor utilized the Elixir of Schneidor to open doorways into other dimensions, he inadvertently created a pathway to the Antiverse, allowing Anti-He-Man to cross over into Eternia. His evil powers unstoppable, He-Man and Skeletor had to unite to fight him. Since such an uneasy alliance can only end in betrayal, Skeletor sent both He-Men to the Antiverse. The story didn't end there of course and He-Man helped Prince Keldor overthrow Anti-He-Man in Castle Hellskull. He-Man was finally returned home by Gwildor and Zodak using the Cosmic Key.

Filmation fans should check out this gorgeous fanmade tribute by Grimbot that looks just like the real thing:

The model is of course the standard He-Man sculpt by Boris Woloszyn for Quest Miniatures, converted to remove the empty sword scabbard and with a custom base. The black skin didn't turn out the way I wanted, but it looks fine in person, so I'll leave it. I looked at a lot of images of Anti-He-Man art and customs for the best colour combination and pretty much ended up with the one from the fanmade video, which is appropriate since I'm trying to stick to a Filmation theme with these figures. Some versions online only use black and red, but I feel the grey bracers add a much needed flash of contrasting colour to keep the figure interesting. Unlike the video version, I did keep the glowing red eyes seen on most incarnations. Some people paint the sword black, which, while cool, can't beat the awesome vintage toy feel of a bright red version of the powersword.

Anti-Eternia He-Man in all his glory.

Duel of the He-Man:

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2018, 11:14:14 AM »
Great thread with superb minis, conversions and paintwork.

I love how confused everyone gets with He-Man lore as well 'cause frankly it is a bit of a tangle (and I say this as not a big lover of He-man but of Comic Books where tangles are standard business)

Iirc it essentially started as a dude trying to license and sell Conan the Barbarian toys without realising how violent etc the source material is. They eventually morphed it into the He-Man range but the actual canon at the time was in flux since it was only comics that came with the toys, then the series came out was wildly popular and that in turn led to more mutations on the lore via various national comics etc.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2018, 09:21:07 PM »
Iirc it essentially started as a dude trying to license and sell Conan the Barbarian toys without realising how violent etc the source material is. They eventually morphed it into the He-Man range but the actual canon at the time was in flux since it was only comics that came with the toys, then the series came out was wildly popular and that in turn led to more mutations on the lore via various national comics etc.

If you have access to Netflix, the show "The Toys that Made Us" has a He-Man episode that is well worth a watch.

The 'He-Man Bible' is pretty neat too.
http://old.he-man.org/cartoon/exclusivefeatures/exclusive-mastersseriesbible-intro.shtml

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2018, 09:40:02 PM »
For the true "He-Fans" amongst you, remember that all sorts of MOTU hardback books have been released by Darkhorse over the past few years. The comic collection and cartoon guides in particular are a real hoot!

EDIT: Oh, and WK, terrific work on Anti-He-Man. Not to overload you on evil He-Man lookalikes, but don't forget Faker! Always loved that character...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 10:15:00 PM by Arundel »

Offline randycarter

• Scientist
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2018, 09:43:56 PM »
How I missed all this so far? It's amazing!!!  :o

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2018, 10:46:48 AM »
EDIT: Oh, and WK, terrific work on Anti-He-Man. Not to overload you on evil He-Man lookalikes, but don't forget Faker! Always loved that character...

I certainly won't forget about him. Just waiting to see if Quest Miniatures will bring out a proper figure for him. :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2018, 10:57:28 AM »
Loving the new additions.
 :-* :-*

Never heard of these before but they seem to just 'fit' into the weird world of He-Man very well.
 8)