Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 10:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Living in Interesting Times  (Read 35002 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Living in Interesting Times
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2018, 11:52:53 AM »
SNIP...... and if the forum had an ignore function, I would have used it on this particular person.

LAF does have an ignore function, in your profile settings you have a "buddy/ignore" option. If you set someone to" ignore" their posts are not shown and you can set pms from them to be blocked.

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2018, 11:59:53 AM »
I only ever saw buddy someone when I went to their profile. But I can do it from my profile by managing buddies and ignore. Thank you, I would never have looked there for it :)

LAF does have an ignore function, in your profile settings you have a "buddy/ignore" option. If you set someone to" ignore" their posts are not shown and you can set pms from them to be blocked.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2018, 12:07:33 PM »
Can you guys please calm down. Your conversation will lead to nowhere.
, ,

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2018, 12:13:37 PM »
It might help to understand what moderators here actually do.

It’s a bit of a shame we’re being painted as a cell of 20 or so closet totalitarians who spend our time plotting how to shut down debate and expel members (remember folks, a whole three people banned in 12 years). This caricature is honestly laughable. Actually 95% of moderation is just dull tidying up, comprising:

-   Moving or deleting threads that have been put in the wrong place – very often at the request of the OP concerned
-   Occasionally deleting cross-postings on multiple boards (against the forum rules)
-   Occasionally adding a ‘Kickstarter’ or ‘Commercial’ tag to topics that fall into these categories
-   Very occasionally we step in on a thread to ask people to calm down if they’re getting feisty and threatening to disturb the peace. This, by the way, is almost always prompted by a report or complaint from another member complaining about aggressive or abusive behaviour.
-   And once in a blue moon – yes, we have to lock a thread where said people refuse to calm down and have moved into a full-on non-productive slanging match. Or are clearly heading that way.

That’s about it.

The disproportionate anger that a minority have with what they see as ‘heavy handed moderation’ relates to these latter points. They see it as 'shutting down debate'.

Well, if you’re the kind of person who believes it’s your absolute right to say whatever you think when you’re in someone else’s house, whatever their stated house rules, and who also gets a kick out of having a good row complete with personal abuse, then you’re certainly going to find moderation here intolerably heavy handed. That’s because you’re breaking the rules of the forum by flaming other members. So you’re going to get moderated, and you’re probably not going to like that.

I’m certain however, the overwhelming majority of LAF members are not like that at all. They’re just here to talk about wargaming in a polite, friendly, generally constructive atmosphere which they appreciate. They respect and get the longstanding ethos of this forum rather than kicking up against it because it doesn't suit their idea of what a forum should be. The moderators are the same. We’re just here to talk about wargaming and share our projects.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2018, 12:17:11 PM »
Yeah but he is not standing right infront you. Its just some noise from the ether. Cant you just ignore Fram. Someone has to stop first and I would put my bet on you SI  :) please.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2018, 12:22:53 PM »
Thanks  :)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2018, 01:06:53 PM »
Well that depends... are you going to show us your nipples or not?

No money, no honey.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2018, 02:20:59 PM »
So when the mods were accused of being right wing crushers of free speech for closing the original threads on this subject down, could it really have been we just knew it would descend into disagreements?

Shall we agree these times aren't that interesting after all, and get back to the hobby?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:24:37 PM by nicknorthstar »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2018, 02:25:23 PM »

Shall we agree these times aren't that interesting after all, and get back to the hobby?

Yes

Edit just to make it clear what the 'yes' was about.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:04:11 PM by Elk101 »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2018, 02:38:38 PM »
So when the mods were accused of being right wing crushers of free speech for closing the original threads on this subject down, could it really have been we just knew it would descend into this kind of squabble?

I think most already have done so and a few have probably in the process learnt how to implement the Ignore function.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »
Did anyone hear something just then?  :?

Offline Artemis Black

• Bookworm
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2018, 03:19:03 PM »

If it's relevant at all to the OP, the moderation of the thread where I was asking questions 'about' moderation made me considerably less interested in learning what the board was like straight off the bat.

It seemed more than odd to lock a thread which was questioning, politely, the locking of threads.  It also seemed odd that the moderation in question came with a speech and a load of rebuttals so the lock came across like a simple 'last word freak' lock as nobody was insulting anyone or whatever the other rules were, it hadn't even broken 2 pages.

So while I haven't PM'd Fram cos I have no clue what 'Scurv' did or didn't do, I can see his point of view at least.

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2018, 03:41:33 PM »
I think the forum’s attitude towards moderation is one the least intrusive I’ve ever seen on the internet.

I think the only thing ‘interesting’ about these times is that people sssm to think they have a right to say exactly what they want and not be challenged on it in relation to what are clearly defined rules.

I keep coming back to LAF (whilst I don’t post a lot) purely because of how apolitical it all is, without people throwing their weighty online personae around. Long may that continue!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2018, 03:44:12 PM »
If it's relevant at all to the OP, the moderation of the thread where I was asking questions 'about' moderation made me considerably less interested in learning what the board was like straight off the bat.

It seemed more than odd to lock a thread which was questioning, politely, the locking of threads.  It also seemed odd that the moderation in question came with a speech and a load of rebuttals so the lock came across like a simple 'last word freak' lock as nobody was insulting anyone or whatever the other rules were, it hadn't even broken 2 pages.

So while I haven't PM'd Fram cos I have no clue what 'Scurv' did or didn't do, I can see his point of view at least.

Could you tell us what the specific thread was titled?

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2018, 03:52:13 PM »
I used to moderate - in fact was the first external moderator - at the Warlord forum. It was a thankless and dreary task. I only ever banned one person, who definitely deserved it. It took a lot of discussion with the forum owners, and much leniency, but eventually he signed his own warrant. So it goes.

I’m also a moderator at GHQ Models, where I’ve been “cama” since about 2004? That is an easy forum to moderate. In fact all I usually do is kill the odd spammer. GHQ will always be my favourite miniatures company.

I wouldn’t want to moderate again. It really does kill the love of the hobby.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984