Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:51:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690588
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AWI 40mm gaming anyone ? Updated  (Read 28454 times)

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
Re: AWI 40mm gaming anyone ? Updated
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2020, 05:41:25 PM »
 Lysandros

Did you mix Front Rank Militia figures with Trident/Triguard ones?  Who painted your Militia, the Brown/tan continental unit from two years ago and the brown unit from just a few days ago?

Much earlier, you mentioned you tried to get Front Rank to sculpt Scots in gaiter trousers; did you offer to pay for the sculpts or just pay for "X" amount of figures?

Offline ian220756

• Librarian
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2020, 06:27:27 PM »
Rob
Absolutely inspiring - the best 40mm collection - period - I’m throwing in the towel - or am I ? 😂
Ian

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2020, 06:59:11 PM »
Lysandros

Did you mix Front Rank Militia figures with Trident/Triguard ones?  Who painted your Militia, the Brown/tan continental unit from two years ago and the brown unit from just a few days ago?

Much earlier, you mentioned you tried to get Front Rank to sculpt Scots in gaiter trousers; did you offer to pay for the sculpts or just pay for "X" amount of figures?
The militia and recent brown coated Pen line were painted by me
. The militia are a mix, l think you must cherry pick for best results.
No chance of Alec doing Highlanders in trews . I asked offer ed to pay in advance but not interested.
Cheers

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2020, 07:43:58 PM »
Alec doesn't seem to be doing much sculpting anymore anyway : I don't think Front rank have had a release in any scale - be that 28 or 40mm - over the past twelve months or so.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2020, 07:50:39 PM »
Isnt there a sculptor who could design some figures that would be compatible with the style of the Front rank Figures?

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2020, 09:51:25 PM »
Isnt there a sculptor who could design some figures that would be compatible with the style of the Front rank Figures?
I have the 71st Highlanders in trews by sash and Sabre as a stop gap . They are not so crisp , a couple of millimetres smaller and lighter bodies. With them raised slightly on the base , selective of marching positions avoiding the one crazy pose they are not bad.
Bagpiper , officer a little ropey.
Overall they have good movement as a whole unit marching.
I have the trident Highlanders in kilts as the black watch,  so can have a small brigade.

Yes it is not impossible but l like FR faces , they are elegant not charactertures and l find it hard for others to match his style in 40mm. With  3d printers anything is possible but at the moment l am satisfied.
Cheers
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:56:10 PM by Lysandros »

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2020, 10:05:52 PM »
Rob
Absolutely inspiring - the best 40mm collection - period - I’m throwing in the towel - or am I ? 😂
Ian
You're stuff can't be topped , nobody does it better with such conviction except for your taste in tight figure hugging t-shirts. Your a double winner and that is exceptional.
I'm not competitive so l'm sure they may be a triple.
( Suddenly with no football, cricket it has me back playing with the figures)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:08:05 PM by Lysandros »

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2020, 06:40:21 PM »
This is my Grenadier brigade from a while back.
They needed a little paint to restore them and bring them back to life. The original pic were ok but lfelt didn't do them justice as it was in a middle of a game with mediocre light.
Thanks again

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2020, 09:55:12 PM »
Nice. What are the dimensions of the bases?

You know, it occurs to me that if Front Rank wanted to, they could increase the versatility of the range by adding some head packs. French tricornes for the Hessians, some loyalist head packs with feathers to use for the Continental bodies, and some additional cap sets for the Irish volunteers, Butler's rangers, British Saratoga caps etc...

I am shocked he never did cavalry for Tarleton's legion.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:18:42 PM by MiniPigs »

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2020, 11:20:54 AM »
Nice. What are the dimensions of the bases?

You know, it occurs to me that if Front Rank wanted to, they could increase the versatility of the range by adding some head packs. French tricornes for the Hessians, some loyalist head packs with feathers to use for the Continental bodies, and some additional cap sets for the Irish volunteers, Butler's rangers, British Saratoga caps etc...

I am shocked he never did cavalry for Tarleton's legion.
The bases are 5 cm by 7 cm depth.

Alec will do anything for you at front ring you just have to ask.
He has most of the head varieties that anybody could want.
For late war British I use American continental line in short cut jackets no lace.. just ask Alec and he will do any combination that you want even if it's not listed.
He does round hats with feathers and not, British light infantry caps that are perfect for Saratoga. Combine them with the figures and you have nearly everything you want.
I will post you the pictures of the British guards brigade. They are are American line in short jackets with rounded hats just painted as British.
(The problem was with expanding the range that 40 ml never caught on. It was rarely bought in any quantity,.  a few people doing skirmishing games was never enough to sustain it Being honest it's a dead duck)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:31:50 AM by Lysandros »

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2020, 11:34:00 AM »
British guards brigade.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2020, 12:59:39 PM »
Colonel civilians.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2020, 02:37:02 PM »
The bases are 5 cm by 7 cm depth.

Alec will do anything for you at front ring you just have to ask.
He has most of the head varieties that anybody could want.
For late war British I use American continental line in short cut jackets no lace.. just ask Alec and he will do any combination that you want even if it's not listed.
He does round hats with feathers and not, British light infantry caps that are perfect for Saratoga. Combine them with the figures and you have nearly everything you want.
I will post you the pictures of the British guards brigade. They are are American line in short jackets with rounded hats just painted as British.
(The problem was with expanding the range that 40 ml never caught on. It was rarely bought in any quantity,.  a few people doing skirmishing games was never enough to sustain it Being honest it's a dead duck)

Thanks for the nice photos. The Guards brigade is indeed inspiring.

My observation is that Miniatures manufacturers rarely design ranges for the economics of it all but give you that excuse when they themselves lose interest. Does anyone believe that Perry are designing Great Paraguayan War miniatures because of the demands of the market?

Additionally, if you are willing to pay for both the sculpting and the mold making, then the maker shouldn't be able to cite a lack of demand as a reason not to do it.

Moving along, for your Guards brigade, you ordered the colonial short coated bodies but asked for head sets from other Call #s? If that is the case that does indeed open up some possibilities.

Are the 40mm FR British line and grenadiers one piece castings?

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2020, 07:04:37 PM »
I’m not keen on the Sash and Saber AWI highlanders. Being pedantic, I find the heads don’t quite sit right and need extra green stuff to finish off the collars. When I need to do 70 plus of them, this makes it a bit of a chore.

I’m wondering whether the Trident British in cutdown coats but with highland bonnet heads might suffice. I’d pick out the better poses.

Any thoughts?

Offline ian220756

• Librarian
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2020, 08:58:07 AM »
I’m not keen on the Sash and Saber AWI highlanders. Being pedantic, I find the heads don’t quite sit right and need extra green stuff to finish off the collars. When I need to do 70 plus of them, this makes it a bit of a chore.

I’m wondering whether the Trident British in cutdown coats but with highland bonnet heads might suffice. I’d pick out the better poses.

Any thoughts?
Alan,
If you and Rob both want Highlanders , would it not be easier and economic to have M. Make you some ?