Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:21:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chema1986 XVIIc.Gallery:13/09/23 Ark Royal miniatures 1/1200 Spanish ships  (Read 39655 times)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Good work. You should be proud.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
So well painted little dudes! Spectacular! The colors pop! Congrats!!!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
I find these figures rather beautiful.  Beautifully painted, photographed and presented.  They would be a credit to anyone’s collection. I’d love to see more , when you have them .

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
many thanks for your kind comments!

I find these figures rather beautiful.  Beautifully painted, photographed and presented.  They would be a credit to anyone’s collection. I’d love to see more , when you have them .

you can see more here:
https://spanishleadpainting.blogspot.com/2018/06/spanish-army-showcase-league-of.html

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Superb!! A joy to see, really top notch work! :)

Offline henerius

• Bookworm
that is just so beautiful, well done!

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Chema1986 XVIIc. Gallery: 20/03 Spanish Tercio de Burgos "Old Yellows"
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2019, 11:27:55 PM »
Chiming in a bit late but I like these yellow muchachos a lot   8)

We know the flags and the yellow uniform, BUT some sources say the cuffs and leggins were blue and others say they were red...  I preferred painting them in red, but the blue option seems to have more historical weight.

As you know, Clonard also shows white as yet another facing colour for the Amarillos viejos. These multiple possibilities may not be mutually exclusive though : while the coat obviously remained yellow throughout the period, the facing colour may well have changed from decade to decade, blue being the last one chronologically before the 1707 uniforms were introduced. This is just pure conjecture on my part and I have no period evidence to back this theory, but isn't it conceivable that the facings were red in the 1660's and 1670's before switching to white in the 1680's and finally blue in the 1690's and 1700's ? 

And while I'm at it, which size did you select for the Adolfo Ramos flag ? I need to order some from him and I can't decide which size suits 28mm figures best. 25mm might prove a little small so I was tempted to go for 30mm.   

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
Re: Chema1986 XVIIc. Gallery: 20/03 Spanish Tercio de Burgos "Old Yellows"
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2019, 09:24:57 AM »
Chiming in a bit late but I like these yellow muchachos a lot   8)

As you know, Clonard also shows white as yet another facing colour for the Amarillos viejos. These multiple possibilities may not be mutually exclusive though : while the coat obviously remained yellow throughout the period, the facing colour may well have changed from decade to decade, blue being the last one chronologically before the 1707 uniforms were introduced. This is just pure conjecture on my part and I have no period evidence to back this theory, but isn't it conceivable that the facings were red in the 1660's and 1670's before switching to white in the 1680's and finally blue in the 1690's and 1700's ? 

And while I'm at it, which size did you select for the Adolfo Ramos flag ? I need to order some from him and I can't decide which size suits 28mm figures best. 25mm might prove a little small so I was tempted to go for 30mm.

Hi !

Yes, I agree,  but I've read ( Don't remember where ) that Clonard assumed the facings where white but they were not... I mean, in his sources when a colour was not known or not 100% sure, it says "blank" or empty space, and Clonard just thought it was white... But is unlikely the facings were white.
Blue seems a more historically accurate colour, but I painted them red for 2 reasons:  First, We know red was used in this unit at some point, and I simply liked it more  lol    and second, I want to use the miniatures for another unit (Guardia Chamberga), just changing the base with the flag with another base of 4 miniatures with a different flag.

And I chose Adolfo Ramos flag in 40mm (I like big flags). I have a spare one in 25mm, If you want it just tell me.

Cheers!

Offline Ben Waterhouse

• Librarian
Re: Spanish militia unit 1668-1690'
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2019, 10:20:59 AM »
BLB works fine for smaller games, I started out with only half a dozen units a side. As the casualties are recorded on a roster you can even start playing with smaller units than the standard 3 element infantry formations, just to get some games under your belt.

I usually play with Six to nine units per side, no problem.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
Hi guys, a new update for my Late XVII century project, conversions and painting a Provincial Tercio of 1670'-90'
I have used mainly Front Rank miniatures, with a Blood & Plunder officer and a Bicorne Miniatures ECW pikeman.

Here is the first base of the unit, the command base: Blood & Plunder officer, Front Rank converted ensign and Front Rank converted drummer.

I love the Spanish officer in high cuffs and open coat! Is my first painted Blood & Plunder miniature.
the drummer is Front Rank Monmouth command; I cut his woollen hat, and gave him another one, in plastic. I added a moustache and a feather (greenstuff).

the ensign is a Front Rank Monmouth Scytheman converted.

Now the pikemen base:

More scythemen were easily converted into pikemen using Warlord Games ECW' plastic pikes, and Wargames Factory sword.  These pikemen are for my Provincial Tercio without proper uniform.

There is also a Bicorne Miniatures  ECW pikeman,  I really like this pack of Bicorne Pikemen, I will use them both for my (late) 30 years war and 1650, and for my War of Devolution or old fashioned uniform in later times. I "sculpted" a feather and a cravatte or necklace to give some 1660-70 flavour.

Both bases and the full Tercio

I hope you like them!

CHeers!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Excellent paintjob and the various manufacturers' minis blend splendidly together!
I wish you a good continuation to your project!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
They look great!

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
Fabulous looking unit. Great modelling build and also paint job.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Superb!! Great work once more! :)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Excellent paintjob and conversions!