Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:08:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686456
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Pagan Rus  (Read 29711 times)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Koyote's SAGA Pagan Rus
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 03:29:20 PM »
https://gorgon-studios.myshopify.com/collections/characters/products/sycorax-the-witch  ;)

Thanks.  I love Gorgon Minis. I already own several of them, including Sycorax the Witch.  I really like their Draugr models.  It'd be fun to find a way to incorporate them into this project.  I could incorporate them into my baggage marker vignettes in a manner similar to how I used baggage marker vignettes to tell the story of my A&A Britons warband. 

The Sycorax model is very cool, and I considered her for the role of Baba Yaga, but the model is tiny (even for historicals) and bit understated.  She could be jazzed up some by sticking her in a mortar, but that'd require a lot of work. 

Speaking of mortars, I ordered a miniature version from a company called Miniature Asian Chef.  Below is a photo from their website.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 08:29:21 PM »
Here is an image of the Deraj Studios figure.  Bad Squidoo had some of their models but I,m not sure where you would get this now.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 01:59:05 AM »
I decided that I need a twelfth Brother Vinni axe/shield maiden so I can field these beautiful minis at max unit size.  I have no interest in waiting 3 months for another direct order, so I searched for Brother Vinni minis on eBay.  I couldn't find another pack of axe or shield maidens for sale, but I did find a pack of Brother Vinni arrow wives. 

Using metal rod, some plastic bits from other kits, and some greenstuff, I transformed an arrow wife into a shield maiden.   

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 02:44:32 PM by Koyote »

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 08:53:09 AM »
That is a fab bit of converting there - nicely done!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 08:53:35 PM »
Wonderful conversion.  :-*

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 03:16:54 PM »
I reached out to Deraj Studios and ordered its Baba Yaga mini.  I'm concerned that it won't scale well against my historicals.  As a back up, I have the Zoraida miniature and the miniature mortar, but as you can see the mortar-to-Baba Yaga ratio isn't quite right.  If the Deraj Studio mini doesn't work, I may have to sculpt my own mortar.  It shouldn't be too difficult, but it's a task I had hoped to avoid.

I've selected the Gripping Beast Pagan Rus warbanner bearer to serve as my Warlord.  With no visible armor, a mustache instead of a beard, and posed blowing a horn, its not a very menacing figure; however, when sized up against against other 25mm Viking and Rus models, he is quite massive, in both height and girth. 

The brutish Viking Jarl, popularized in myth and popular culture, has come to be expected, but my favorite Viking and Viking-like characters from modern fiction tend to be fairly good natured and sometimes even jovial warriors who go against type.  Plus, since my warband's theme includes a bit of Slavic folklore, I think I can get away with less ferocious looking Warlord.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:55:13 PM by Koyote »

Offline ts

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 06:24:44 PM »
Maybe these Russian figures could be of interest for you?
If interested, try asking Cuprum,where to get them.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 06:58:24 PM »
Amazing!  It's the 3 Bogatyr from Vasnetsov's painting. 

I don't know how I'm going to use them (Pagan Rus don't have the mounted option), but I must have them nonetheless.

And looky what I found on eBay.  :D

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:15:52 PM by Koyote »

Offline ts

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2018, 10:37:32 PM »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 06:30:38 PM »
It seems, perhaps you should also look at the Russian Drabant figures?
Here are some links:
http://magazin-soldatikov.ru/products/main-catalog/?SECTION_ID=5591
https://vk.com/drabantminiatures
and for the Bogatyrs
http://cbgames.com.ua/game-system/vlastelin-mira/nabori-i-igrovie-polya-yalworld/tri-bogaturia.htm
Thanks.

Oh, I wish I could add some Drabant minis to my warband.  Drabant makes beautiful miniatures (I have 4 boxes of Drabant Vikings), but they don't scale well against the other manufacturers that I use.  Drabant minis are closer to 25mm than 28mm and they short limbs, tiny hands, and very fine features.  All of the weapons cast as part of the model itself (i.e. not cast separately) arrived horribly bent and because the axe hafts and sword blades are so thin, when you bend them back to shape, they often snap off.  Also, the recesses that represent the areas between chainmail links are very shallow, so you have to take extra care when painting them for fear of totally obscuring the detail. 

For me the issues with the weapons and chainmail aren't a deal breaker because the models are so amazing, but their size is.  If I were to create a warband using only Drabant minis their size wouldn't be so much of an issue, but mixing them with 28mm from other manufacturers doesn't work for me. 

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:33:12 PM by Koyote »

Offline ts

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 10:03:00 PM »
As said earlier, try to contact Cuprum, and tell about your interest in Russian made figures.
He knows the market and the many Russian private makers.
I would be surprised, if the Russians have several not known outside Russia, who makes figures from their history.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2018, 10:56:44 PM »
Below are two mock-ups of vignettes/baggage markers for my Pagan Rus warband.

The first depicts an Odin-like figure wandering in the deep woods and  happening upon a mound of skulls and bones. His two pet ravens, Huginn and Muninn, are perched on his shoulders.  In the trees, other ravens look down. 

In Norse and ancient Germanic mythology, Odin has many aspects, including wisdom, magic, the gallows, battle, and death.  So whether the bones are the remains of warriors slain in battle, executed criminals, or victims of human sacrifice, the manner of their death is a concern of the Allfather.

The second vignette depicts another traveler of the deep woods.  This time its a young woman.  As she passes a peculiar looking tree, small animals furtively peer out from beneath the undergrowth.

In Slavic and Russian folklore, the Leshii are forest deities or spirits who serve as guardians of forest and its animals.  Depending upon the telling,  a Leshii's appearance can be human-like or tree-like.  They have a wicked sense of humor and they enjoy leading travelers and foragers astray.

Offline Cyrus the Great

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2018, 05:11:38 AM »
Koyote, very creative all the way around!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 05:45:38 AM »
Missed this, but great progress already.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2018, 10:27:35 PM »
Those vignette bases are going to look awesome when they are finished.  Great minis have stories and both scenes have one to tell.