Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:39:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Pagan Rus  (Read 29731 times)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Koyote's SAGA Pagan Rus & Eastern Princes
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2019, 02:56:39 AM »
Thread necromancy (bringing it back from the dead).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »

I learn something new everyday!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2019, 05:41:34 PM »

Glad you did, this is a great project! Love the vignettes and the excellent cavalry conversions.  Any chance they've been painted?

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2019, 10:06:09 PM »
Not my thread! (But will happily take the painted miniatures ;))

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2019, 11:27:41 PM »
Did you ever finish this project? I plan to borrow some of your ideas for my Russian Princes and Age of Magic projects

This project is still on hold.

I'm not someone who paints quickly, nor do I have large blocks of time to dedicate to painting.  Some people can knock out a warband in a week or two.  Not me. It'll take me 3-4 months to get a 50+ model warband painted.  In the past, playing in the Adepticon's SAGA tournaments is what motivated me to stick it out for those 3-4 months of painting. I painted Dark Age Irish for Adepticon 2017 and AA Britons for Adepticon 2018.

Last July I learned that I wasn't going to make it to Adepticon 2019, so without the tournament to motivate me, I set my Rus aside in favor of smaller projects linked to campaigns at my local game store (Mordheim, This is Not a Test, and Necromunda).

It's my hope is to return to Adepticon in 2020. If that happens, I'll probably get back work on my Rus this September.

I've also been waiting to see how the Victrix plastic viking kits turn out.  If they are as good renders, they may find a place in my Pagan Rus warband.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:37:01 PM by Koyote »

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2019, 05:04:18 AM »
Hey! I really apply your reply, and I work much the same way myself. However, I’m not really inquiring about when your project will finish but some aspects about it.

On your Eastern Princes warlord, the first one, where did you source the horse? Had you any luck solving the Baba Yaga issue?

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2019, 04:50:39 PM »
Hey! I really apply your reply, and I work much the same way myself. However, I’m not really inquiring about when your project will finish but some aspects about it.

On your Eastern Princes warlord, the first one, where did you source the horse? Had you any luck solving the Baba Yaga issue?
The metal, rearing horse is a Curteys miniature, sold by 1st Corps.  Before kitbashing the Gripping Arab heavy cav and Fireforge Russian kits to make my Lithuanian cavalry, I ordered metal Curteys cav that was labeled, at the time, Lithuanian mounted knights.  To that order I added a warlord, labeled at the time, as "MEC11 Late C12th-Early 13th Medieval Warlord".  Sometime between my order in May of 2018 and now, 1st Corps has reorganized and relabeled many of its minis.  The knights I ordered are no longer labeled as "Lithuanian" and I cannot find the warlord in the webstore.  If you have your heart set on that horse, I recommend that you email 1st Corps a photo of the rearing horse and ask them if the mini is still available.

I realized that I haven't yet posted a photo of my Fireforge, Richard the Lionhearted conversion.  As far as conversions go, it is very simple.  I used a hobby knife to shave the lion heraldry off the model's chest, replaced the shield, and used a bit of GS and the end of a plastic spike to make a conical helm crown.

As for Baba Yaga, I'll probably end up using the model that I made from the old Malifaux Zoraida mini.

When the Hellboy board game that I kickstarted arrived a few weeks ago, the one mini that I was the most excited to see was Baba Yaga, so when I opened the box, the first thing I did was search through the rows and rows of minis for the old witch.  Sadly, Mantic Games has divided the Hellboy kickstarter goodies into two waves, and the first wave doesn't include Baba Yaga.  Assuming that Trump's trade war with China doesn't delay Wave 2, I should have my Hellboy Baba Yaga this coming September or October.  Once I have the mini in hand, I'll decided which to use.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2019, 09:46:33 PM »
Thanks for the updates! I really appreciate you taking your time to update us.

Since you have the kit, do you think the Richard model would accept a chest from the Heavy Arab set instead of the one included?

Before I tried to contact you I contacted Curseys on FB and they said the horse wasn't theirs. They showed me which current set the rider was connected to, but not the horse. I thought maybe you made a mistake and it was the Conquest horse or somewhere else. Probably not being made any longer...

I really like your cavalry and think to make some variation for a Russian Princes force, or Pagan Peoples.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2019, 12:37:06 AM »
Thanks for the updates! I really appreciate you taking your time to update us.

Since you have the kit, do you think the Richard model would accept a chest from the Heavy Arab set instead of the one included?

Before I tried to contact you I contacted Curseys on FB and they said the horse wasn't theirs. They showed me which current set the rider was connected to, but not the horse. I thought maybe you made a mistake and it was the Conquest horse or somewhere else. Probably not being made any longer...

I really like your cavalry and think to make some variation for a Russian Princes force, or Pagan Peoples.
With some cutting and GS, a torso from the GB Arab cav kit should work. Please note that the Richard model is wearing a surcoat, so if you were to replace the torso with an armored torso without a surcoat, the model would be left wearing a skirt.

I searched back through my emails from a year ago. I found the order confirmation. The rearing horse is indeed Conquest Games’ Medieval Stallion.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 12:42:42 AM by Koyote »

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2019, 07:02:56 AM »
Oh that is a fun conversion. Would be curious to see it painted!

Offline poulppy

• Scientist
    • Flags
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2019, 07:45:50 PM »
Great conversion for the bab yaga !
Really great. I like it !

* Miniatures diary at aleaminiatures.blogspot.fr/
* Flags banners blog at  https://flagspennonsandbanners.blogspot.com/
* My Other blog on Helmets : attenti

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2019, 08:20:36 PM »
With some cutting and GS, a torso from the GB Arab cav kit should work. Please note that the Richard model is wearing a surcoat, so if you were to replace the torso with an armored torso without a surcoat, the model would be left wearing a skirt.

I searched back through my emails from a year ago. I found the order confirmation. The rearing horse is indeed Conquest Games’ Medieval Stallion.

Bravo to me! I couldn't tell perfectly but it sort of looked like the Conquest model. Nice horse!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Koyote's SAGA Pagan Rus
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2019, 07:21:52 PM »
Now that I have plan, the next step is to find the right figure.

I'm getting a Baba mini with my Hellboy kickstarter, but that's 12+ months away and I suspect that the model will be closer to 32mm than 28mm historical.

My Hellboy board game arrived this last April, but when I looked through the trays of miniatures I couldn't find Baba Yaga.  I assumed that Baba would be in the Wave 2 models delivered this September, but I was wrong.  I stumbled upon her secret hiding place today while reading about the model online.  She is in the Wave 1 box, but she's hidden beneath some large monsters.  All of the trays that hold minis are one level deep, except for the large monster tray, which in the sole instance of the Baba Yaga model, is two models deep.  She's hidden well enough that you will likely only find her if you know where to look or you remove just the right monster from the tray.  Stupid.

Here she is in all her glory.  IMHO, she doesn't have a proper witch nose, but that's something I can fix with some GS.

If you recall from the first page of this thread, my plan is to use Baba Yaga as a marker for the Pagan Rus' Long Winter ability, but now that they've released Age of Magic, I may have another use for her.  She may end up as the Warlord of my haunted forest themed Undead Legions warband.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2019, 07:44:53 PM »
Loving the work you have done on the lionheart figure and your baba yaga

Cheers
Matt
French Wargame Holidays
L'Hotel de Hercé
Mayenne, Pays de la Loire
France
"Walk the battlefield in the morning, Wargame it in the afternoon"©

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2022, 10:27:54 PM »
With Adepticon 2022 in the rear view mirror, it's time to raise this thread from the dead and get to work on my next SAGA Age of Viking warband, Pagan Rus.

RISE! RISE! RISE PAGAN RUS THREAD! . . .

Back in 2018, my original plan was to build the warband from Gripping Beast (HG & Warriors), Brother Vinni (Warriors), and converted Warhansa (Levy) models. 

With the release of the Victrix plastic Viking kit in 2019, I swapped out all of my Gripping Beast Viking Warriors for shiny new Victrix plastics.

Now, in 2022, urge to convert is upon me once again...

The Gripping Beast Joms models that I was planning for my Hearthguard are some of Gripping Beasts' best legacy metal models, but you find them if SO many Viking and Pagan Rus armies.  Also, while I had fun converting the Warhansa models, they still look like little, stooped over Santa's absent the fat bellies.

My new plan is to ditch the GB Joms, and replace them with converted/kit-bashed Victrix Vikings in chainmail and perhaps a couple of resin Viking minis. I'm keeping the Brother Vinni shield maiden models as a unit of Warriors, and perhaps some of the unarmored Victrix Vikings as Warriors, but the Warhansa Levy are being shelved in favor of a unit or two of javelin Levy converted from Victrix's Dacian Infantry kit.

If you look at the Victrix marketing photo below, you will see that the Dacian kit includes quite a few unarmored models wearing long tunics, pants, and footwear.  They don't have the long hair of the Dark Age Slavic people, but they are pretty hairy.  Best of all, some of the heads have caps that I can easily turn into Slavic style caps by adding a band of greenstuff fur around the bottom of the cap.  The caps with the triangular floppy part on the top can be further extended to make the fur trimmed Santa style hat you see on my Warhansa slavs.

I'll be arming all the models with wire javelins, so between the Dacian sprues' spear-arms and sword-arms, I should have enough non-bow and non-falx arms to snip and drill for javelins.  I have plenty of extra shields in my bitz box, so If I elect to give them small round shields, I already have that covered.

Once my Dacian kit arrives, I'll post pics of my test conversions.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 10:15:11 PM by Koyote »