Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:05:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690603
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Power Armoured Soldat  (Read 12011 times)

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
Power Armoured Soldat
« on: July 18, 2006, 01:29:37 PM »
Hello everybody...

Below you will find a pic of my (WIP) Kraftrustungtruppen or PA Soldat...

As you can see, it's based on a GW Grey Knight because I like that mixture of power-armour-medieval-knight... I have made minor conversions, deleting all puriry seals and inquisitions symbols, covering details with some sculpted pouches and a circle simbol in the shoulder (not visible in the pic) to paint a svastika. An Iron Cross is attached to the chest armour. The helmet comes from a 1:35 Tamiya kit and the pulpy backpack is a GW smoke launcher with some green stuff.

The storm bolter is unmodified because I like its look, and in game terms I'll claim they are a pair of linked MG-48s (invention of evil of Evil Doktor von Someone)

But I'm not sure on the halberd...

For one thing, I like the idea of these truppen as elite units disguised as "Modern Teutonic Knights". The halberd is a symbol of rank and a close combat weapon...

But, I also think it makes the model look too much like the original one, and i was thinking to cut the halberd part and model it like some kind of (pulp) Panzerfaust...

How do you people see these two possibilites, in modelling terms? I'm waiting to make up my mind before painting the mini.

BTW, here is a comparison pic between the PA Trupper and some Germans from Copplestone and Bolt Action. I think it seems big and bulky enough.

--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Power Armoured Soldat
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 01:51:59 PM »
Great Job! I like the model and the size seems about right for a suit of power armour.

As for the halberd, I'm not sure. It does not seem very Teutonic to me.

But I can't wait to see the finished and painted model.

Rich
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Power Armoured Soldat
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 01:58:08 PM »
Hello, nice Figure. I like it. its weird enough  :)
For the halberd...why not an Ehrenhalberd. A Halberd of honour....A kind of promotion the Kraftrüstungstruppen receive for spending time in combat zones  :)
, ,

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
Power Armoured Soldat
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 02:07:13 PM »
Wow... I like that name...

I'll try today to model a "Panzerfaust head" in order to see how it looks... I like the halberd idea but still think it makes the model too similar to the original GW one.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Power Armoured Soldat
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 04:28:34 PM »
Quote from: "KeyanSark"
Wow... I like that name...

I'll try today to model a "Panzerfaust head" in order to see how it looks... I like the halberd idea but still think it makes the model too similar to the original GW one.

very nice conversion, i like it, and very clever idea to take a GW fig! But the halberd looks wrong because too much GW, sorry  :)  I would scratchbuild something that looks like a halberd

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Power Armoured Soldat
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 06:16:14 PM »
Thats looking good.

The size is bulky enough to look right, but not so that it looks ridiculous.

Much of that GW look will go away once painted with Nazi-ish colours and given some insignia.

I think I went to school with Evil Doktorl Von Something... :lol:

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
Power Armoured Soldat
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 06:34:51 PM »
I thinked on it and I decided to follow Prof. Witchheimer wisdom... That halberd looked too-GW, so I looked through my bit box and this is the result... A panzerfaust-equipped Kraftrustungtruppen (say that without breathing if you're not German!  :lol: )

I used an old counter from a tabletop game and the wooden end from and old brush. I'm considering adding a little card strip around the orange part to create some added effect in the surface.

It looks rather silly now, but it will gain a lot when painted. I'm considering using Vallejo Yellow Olive as main tone for the armour, and Khaki for the panzerfaust... One shoulderpad will be red, with the svastika over a white circle. The other one will remain Olive, I think. Inscription and shoulderpad borders will be in a deep bronze color. I think it will create a nice contrast...

But I will wait to hear from this wise council of Elder before proceeding!  :wink:

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Power Armoured Soldat
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 06:51:49 PM »
Quote from: "KeyanSark"
I'm considering using Vallejo Yellow Olive as main tone for the armour, and Khaki for the panzerfaust... One shoulderpad will be red, with the svastika over a white circle. The other one will remain Olive, I think. Inscription and shoulderpad borders will be in a deep bronze color. I think it will create a nice contrast...

Well, I think your color choice could be fine depending on whether this is to be a "regular" German army unit or elite. As an elite it might be part of the SS, then you may want to do it in black.

You could also do it like a German tank in grays with camo patterns.

And I like the switch off to the panzerfaust.Very nice idea!

Rich

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Power Armoured Soldat
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 06:57:18 PM »
Better! Looks really better!

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Power Armoured Soldat
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 08:08:15 PM »
I agree too. Much better.
I would paint the Armour in Panzergrau.
Björn

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
Power Armoured Soldat
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 09:47:48 PM »
Richard, I think you read my mind... I'm planning a second conversion based in another GK, but this will be an Hero/Officer and it will be dressed in black as SS officer... (this one won't have Panzerfaust... too clumsy a weapon for a Bavarian noble)

PanzerGrau was an option I was considering, but I think the armour would look dull... An Olive scheme (like the one used by Agis Neugebauer in his ProjectX PA) could make the miniature stand among the regular troopers...

But on second thought...

Aaargh! Can't decide...  :cry:

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Power Armoured Soldat
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 11:34:55 PM »
With the panzerfaust it's better! Still looking much GW...
I think for a power armour from WWII the mini is just too dynamic.

For you SS officer: Leave that plastic crux terminatius (or whatever it is) away and give him a real (knight's cross of the) iron cross. And instead of the helmet the officers cap.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Rugland

• Assistant
Power Armoured Soldat
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 09:08:59 AM »
Looks really nice but still to much GW. How about filling the breastplate with GS to cover the engraved letters. And add some rivets. That should help to get a better "historical" look.

IMO the choice of the color should depend on the background of the power armor. When the armor suit slowes the soldier down, it should be painted like a tank because the soldier needs the extra cover. I personally like Panzergrau, too.  :wink:

Do you know the Pc-Game "Silent Storm"? Its a great X-Com / Jagged Alliance like turn based strategy game in a weird war setting. Late in the game there are some heavy personal armors suits called "Panzerklein". Great game with very high rating in my personal hall of fame.
Arkham, Dunwich; Arkham, Dunwich -
filled with haunting fears
Neighbors who hide up in the attics
inbreeding happily for years...

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Power Armoured Soldat
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 01:25:44 PM »
Quote from: "Rugland"
Looks really nice but still to much GW. How about filling the breastplate with GS to cover the engraved letters.

That's a good idea.
But I guess a Zimmerit coat would be too much?

Offline Rugland

• Assistant
Power Armoured Soldat
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 02:09:19 PM »
But I guess a Zimmerit coat would be too much?

Perhaps a bit over the top. But on the other hand, a magnetic anti tank mine attached to the back could really be a pain in the ass...  :lol: