Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:09:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Men Of Bronze  (Read 37805 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Re: Men Of Bronze
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2019, 02:42:53 AM »
A fair review! 

Army Lists and Historical scenarios are always a sticky-wicket. 

As for Phalanges..... lol!  I got nothing.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2019, 10:12:12 PM »
One of my gaming buddies has just finished 32 points of Greeks to oppose my Macedonians, so really looking forward to trying these out soon.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2019, 11:11:19 PM »
The reviews of these rules sound great and might be the thing to get me back into ancients (last played at university 30 years ago).  Unfortunately I got rid of most of my 15mm Minifigs Grreks and Macedonians.  This time around I might go for 10mm.

Does this ruleset a) works well for scaled-down battles? (10-20 miniatures per side) b) Is it suitable for other european battlefields of the same timeframe (e.g.: iberians vs phoenicians or greeks vs carthaginians)?

These rules look interesting for smaller combats:
http://www.thewargamespot.com/fighting-the-greek-invaders/

Offline Szary

• Assistant
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2019, 10:10:50 PM »
I saw review of your ruleset on Nick's awesome blog and I ordered them immediately.

If I were to suggest a further expansion of the army lists, I would point toward the Successor states of the Hellenistic Period, even if by a single, generic army list. Even if one can't comprehend the sheer beauty of Seleucid, Antigonid and Ptolemaic ranks, the Rule of Cool demands elephants. Seriously, would happily pay for a PDF expanding the system in that direction - and I think that system that already encompasses armies of the Philip II or the Persian kings could do it without much hassle. In the era of the Wargame Vault sky is the limit.

Also, there is a single, but important question - what is the unit footprint/board size ratio? Space is at a premium in my case, so every game that fits on regular table scores a big plus. I plan using single-based units on 4cmx2cm base for each phalanx.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2019, 10:17:13 PM »
I have Successor Period in the works with Osprey called Heirs to Empire.

I use between 48 by 48 base widths up to 72 by 48 base widths.

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2019, 11:22:17 PM »
Men of Bronze phalanx question:

I noted that there are two formations- phalanx or not phalanx (Open order).

The formation rules are interpretive for many units- it seems that everything in open order will be able to operate in mobs- seemingly being able to snake around and sneaking through the Zones of Control. Is this intended? I missed any perceptible rule that limits firepower by models in a firing unit blocking each other's LOS.

To that point as I read the rules about phalanx, it states that at any time the unit may switch to Open order- and by spending an Arete point may reform back into phalanx facing whichever way the leader is facing even in the same move. This may create situations where models will move faster than their Movement allowance, due to lining up on the center model. I intend to use larger than ten model units- so I am trying to sort out this mechanic.

[So that is the question - can a phalanx unit unform and reform in the same activation?]
Thanks, I'm hoping these rules ratchet up interest locally.

05/02/
I found the answer in the activation segment.

As for snaking units- that is still an active question. Units seem to have no restrictions on distance from the center leader(as in Lion Rampant) this allows snaking, in which units are able to shoot gaps.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 04:54:49 PM by Jjonas »
JJonas

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2019, 09:55:35 PM »
Good stuff!  I am working on a FAQ for my blog that some folks have asked me about, so keep the questions coming.

In addition, I sent some Sicilian War stuff to Osprey for their downloads page.  This includes Syracusan and Carthaginian army lists and a Historical Scenario for the Battle of Himalcar using the Men of Bronze rules.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2019, 09:09:55 PM »
Quick question......

Can you guys suggest some good sources for Northern Greek military forces?  I know pre-reform Macedonians is a place I need work, but also other Thracian city-states or kingdoms would be great. 

Thanks for your help. 

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2019, 10:17:51 PM »
Westlake's Thessaly volume is probably still the best single source on Thessaly. It focuses on the 4th century tyrannies, but summarises earlier periods too.

Macedonia is a bit more all over the place. You could start with Thucydides, but I've just submitted something for consideration for publication that brings a lot more of the info together.

For northwestern Greeks such as Aitolians and classical Epeirotes, Thucydides is again going to be your go to source.

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2019, 05:09:29 PM »
1) Units attacked in the rear or flank seem to have no penalties in combat. Units attacking have +2 bonuses.  This does not seem to be enough of an advantage- am I missing something?

2) Shooting units- LOS is measured from the leader model, then it says that shooters have 360 degree arcs of fire. Is that 360 degree arc from the leader only and blocked by models in his own unit?

3) Somebody posted somewhere that "phalanges" is not proper labeling of multiple phalanxes. I reckon Krentz and Van Wees would beg to differ on that. Phalanxes and/or phalanges is appropriate. Calling hoplite shields "hoplons", that is the proper stuff of pedantic ruler slapping of knuckles :) Hoplite is an "armed man", a man with an aspis (shield), and spear- he is not named after his shield- in which case he would be an "aspidelite" --- lucky us they used hoplite instead. Pedantry light off.

Looking forward to trying out a game, I have noted some concerns- I am not convinced about the moving of phalanx units physically in support, but that is my gut talking.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2019, 10:01:56 PM »
I will add these to the FAQ.  Hopefully it will be out on my blog soon. 

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2019, 02:38:26 PM »
I (finally!) got the rules Thursday. I have already had a quick read.

I think the modifier for flank and rear are there (+2 for flank attackers, +4 for rear), and seeing how Eric set up the dice system it makes sense (I would have gone with less dice and more modifiers. but it is me).

From my reading the whole support thing sounds less puzzling than other people have claimed. I see them more as rear support (as in Epaminondas massing his phalanx) rather than the overlap common in other rules. Basically there big decision is shortening your frontage to mass on a focal point (and added chance of mass routing...) versus keeping a longer line.  Yet because we are used to think in term of flank support it seems it is causing some issues.

Looking forward to have a play... need to finish preparing some guys for that.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
The living FAQ is up based on the questions people have asked me in various forums.

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2019/05/men-of-bronze-living-faq_6.html

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2019, 07:43:18 AM »
Thanks for that FAQ.
Going to play first game on Friday using Punic war units - very few hoplite type units save what Carthage is bringing, and maybe Triarii, so it'll be interesting. Going to field the Republican Romans as Elite and drilled type infantry and the Pila will be greatly missed, but I think the game will still work out wonderfully.

The FAQ really helped to clear up some confusion, so thank you again!
Cheers
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:46:50 AM by Wiegraf »

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2019, 08:00:19 AM »
I hope you post a batrep