Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:27:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686595
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: my 6mm Sci-Fi project  (Read 93687 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: my 6mm Sci-Fi project
« Reply #315 on: April 14, 2021, 09:37:26 PM »
Don't think that's true unless the subject is very, very narrowly defined.  For ex, I found this on Thingiverse with five seconds worth of searching but it doesn't change the fact you still went and made your own take on crab mechs - and ones that look better than the one at the link, I might add.  I fully expect people will continue to tackle subjects that have been done by others already, making something that makes their personal version simply because they can - just like you did.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2154192

And that's just one non-commercial site.  There are bound to be other mech STLs out there in other styles.  Which particular STL people use is going to come down to how much the artist's design appeals to that particular person. 

There's no "wrong" way to do most subjects unless you're imitating a particular IP - which as you said is pretty dodgy.  Not that that's stopped a bajillion GW knockoffs from cropping up, with varying degrees of piratical skill displayed.

I see your point.
And maybe the whole 3D market will saturate first of the IP knock-offs. Because who needs another 6mm space marine?
I hope you're right on that, it would definitely be a good thing.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #316 on: April 16, 2021, 08:38:21 AM »
MORE PICS!

This time finished, with tiny infantry on all bases. The idea is that "robots are everywhere", so even flyers will have robots on their bases.

and the small crabs too:

Cheers,
Jack

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #317 on: April 16, 2021, 09:02:44 AM »
These are so so good mate, I really need to pick them up.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #318 on: April 16, 2021, 09:43:12 AM »
Wonderful work. Love the shade of yellow,
and the 'Robots everywhere' look.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #319 on: April 16, 2021, 11:21:20 AM »
Excellent!

I also like the robots everywhere look and the flyer is very nice. Your basing and painting skills really make these minis pop.

If I was 20 years younger, I'd be totally into 3d printing.

BTW: Have you thought about designing an opposing force?

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #320 on: April 16, 2021, 11:38:46 AM »
These are so so good mate, I really need to pick them up.

Thanks Jag! If everything goes according to plan, i'll be having a 50% sale on MMF upon releasing these. Worth getting!

Wonderful work. Love the shade of yellow,
and the 'Robots everywhere' look.
Glad to see that it's being appreciated! it takes a while to do all the robots, but it certainly gives some satisfaction!

Excellent!

I also like the robots everywhere look and the flyer is very nice. Your basing and painting skills really make these minis pop.

If I was 20 years younger, I'd be totally into 3d printing.

BTW: Have you thought about designing an opposing force?
Why not jumping on the train now? nowadays resin printers are really low-effort, and cheap!

As for an opposing force: WHEN i'll get back some energies i'm considering a not-mad-max faction, meant to proxy as Speed Freakz orks in Epic 40k. Plenty of ideas for that!

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #321 on: April 16, 2021, 01:53:17 PM »
Those look great.  Always liked throwing a few infantry on larger Epic-scale bases, although mine never looked as nice as yours.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #322 on: April 19, 2021, 05:28:11 PM »
BIG AND FINAL UPDATE about the painting (at least for a while!)

The PLATO CLASS giga-uber-rig is done!

Here next to the support rigs:

And, while being (literally) shadowed by the big guy, this whole bunch of infantry types i'm really in love with!

Cheers! C&C welcome!
Jack

Offline Eliot

• Assistant
« Reply #323 on: April 19, 2021, 05:38:19 PM »
This whole thread is great but the walker is just outstanding. Well done.

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #324 on: April 19, 2021, 06:18:48 PM »
Very, very cool

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #325 on: April 19, 2021, 07:20:08 PM »
6mm SF is where I started in wargaming but I've not touched it in well over a decade. This thread is giving me a small scale SF itch again!

Those little quadraped gun bots (top set of the last photo above) are especially great, I could see using them in larger scales as little gun bots, pistol/SMG armed.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #326 on: April 19, 2021, 07:25:49 PM »

Those little quadraped gun bots (top set of the last photo above) are especially great, I could see using them in larger scales as little gun bots, pistol/SMG armed.

I want 8 or so to use for 15mm bots in Five Parsecs.  Sadly I don't have a printer. Or space for a printer.  Or room in the mountain for the landslide of minis that would come out of the printer.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #327 on: April 20, 2021, 07:14:06 AM »
This whole thread is great but the walker is just outstanding. Well done.
Thank you Eliot! Pretty happy with the big guy!

6mm SF is where I started in wargaming but I've not touched it in well over a decade. This thread is giving me a small scale SF itch again!

I'm particularly fond of those as well! above in the post there should be a picture of the original sketches and some up-scaled print too.

I want 8 or so to use for 15mm bots in Five Parsecs.  Sadly I don't have a printer. Or space for a printer.  Or room in the mountain for the landslide of minis that would come out of the printer.

What i've experienced, personally, is that most of the 28mm miniatures (or humans in general) don't come out THAT great from printers. They tend to have soft details and while definitely paintable they're not *fun* to paint. So i generally end up with a lot of tiny accessories for terrain, vehicles and scifi looking machinery, but no humanoids (except in 6mm)

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #328 on: April 20, 2021, 04:44:03 PM »

What i've experienced, personally, is that most of the 28mm miniatures (or humans in general) don't come out THAT great from printers. They tend to have soft details and while definitely paintable they're not *fun* to paint. So i generally end up with a lot of tiny accessories for terrain, vehicles and scifi looking machinery, but no humanoids (except in 6mm)

Actually, I'm looking at the quads in the top row of this image, printed this size, to use as 15mm combat bots.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #329 on: April 20, 2021, 05:27:29 PM »
Actually, I'm looking at the quads in the top row of this image, printed this size, to use as 15mm combat bots.

At that size they would work well too, the size of a dog!